Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide the best city, Sydney the worst, as voted by their own residents!

Adelaide the best city, Sydney the worst, as voted by their own residents!

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Adelaide the best city, Sydney the worst, as voted by their own residents!

Sydney the pits, say its own residents

Sydney has been branded Australia's worst city - by its own residents.

Despite its obvious charms, ranging from the iconic Opera House, the beautiful harbour and ready access to numerous beaches, Sydneysiders say their city is the pits.

They hammered its natural environment, schools, housing, cleanliness, cultural integration and road network, ranking it bottom of the nation's eight biggest metropolises.

Adelaide is the nation's best city, followed by Canberra, Melbourne, Perth, Hobart, Brisbane and Darwin, according to an Auspoll survey commissioned by the Property Council of Australia.

The survey quizzed 4072 people across the nation about the cities they live in.

NSW Premier Kristina Keneally hit back at the findings, sarcastically questioning why more people don't live in Adelaide.

"I did a bit of a survey myself this morning and I checked the population figure," she told reporters on Saturday.

"The population of Adelaide - a little bit over 1.2 million people. The population of Sydney - a bit more than 4.5 million people. I think those figures speak for themselves.

"Adelaide is a great city but if it's so fantastic why aren't more people living there?"

But Property Council chief executive Peter Verwer reckons Sydneysiders are on the money.

Although he admitted the results can be read just as much as a verdict on politicians as the cities themselves.

"I don't think Sydneysiders have been overly harsh here, I think they've been realistic," he told AAP on Saturday.

"Sydney has been consistently on the slide since the (2000) Olympics.

"The reality is people in Sydney are sick of broken promises from politicians when it comes to things like infrastructure and transport."

Sydney was ranked a little higher for its entertainment options, finishing second behind Melbourne.

Its climate was ranked third best.

Mr Verwer said he hoped the results would "shock governments into action".

http://www.theage.com.au/national/sy...122-1a0dn.html

BB
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Adelaide the best city, Sydney the worst, as voted by their own residents!

Just wait until the Perth folks read this.

Heads down, incoming fire...!

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide the best city, Sydney the worst, as voted by their own residents!

Detailed results here:

http://www.propertyoz.com.au/library...dict_FINAL.pdf

Note to those who think in Melbourne we have to spend all our time indoors (for some reason) - guess which city comes out on top for outdoor recreation environments!?

In reality the results for all the cities are very similar...only Darwin & Sydney are noticeably pants!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:01 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide the best city, Sydney the worst, as voted by their own residents!

Oh dear, seems I have picked the wrong city, my life is ruined.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I've just opened the link to the full report. I've got to page 7, Methodology - survey approach. Have a look at the numbers of participants for each city. I can't see how the numbers are represenative of that city's population, eg Perth has half the participants of of Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney and (pretty much) Canberra, plus significantly fewer than Hobart and only double the participants from Darwin. Perth's population is similar to Brisbane and Adelaide and much higher than Hobart, Darwin and Canberra.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I've just opened the link to the full report. I've got to page 7, Methodology - survey approach. Have a look at the numbers of participants for each city. I can't see how the numbers are represenative of that city's population, eg Perth has half the participants of of Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney and (pretty much) Canberra, plus significantly fewer than Hobart and only double the participants from Darwin. Perth's population is similar to Brisbane and Adelaide and much higher than Hobart, Darwin and Canberra.
I couldn't give a crap about the results but, taking Sydney as an example, they asked 632 people out of 4.5 million and we're supposed to take it seriously?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Keneally's got a point though.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we can take this survey too seriously.

For one, the number of respondents couldn't all be from the same suburbs or suburbs with similar demographics, they would all have to be widely spread out to get an unbiased result.

Basically speaking though, all this survey tells us is that Adelaide residents are either much smugger than people from Sydney, or they require less in their lives to be happy and Sydney people are highly strung about any little frustrations or imperfections in their lives. Those who complain about their lives the least and accept and appreciate what they have will always rate their city better.

Having read through the survey a bit now and it is obvious that people are pandering to stereotypes.

Melbourne has one of the best climates in Australia, four seasons, some very hot days in summer but usually just warm and sunny, very varied and changeable climate that is rarely boring, magnificent autumns, few extremes apart from a little summer heat at times and some nasty gales, rain and storms at times as well but nowhere near as often as many other parts of Aus. For some reason or another, despite this Melbourne residents have ranked the climate near the bottom.

Brisbane comes out on top. Warm to hot and sticky for most of the year, prone to catastrophic flooding and severe storms from spring to Autumn, lack of seasons, the sunniest and driest weather is during the winter months when temperatures are cooler etc.

Perth, absolutely stinking hot and bone dry in summer, severe weather in winter with torrential rain, storms and gales. Which cities have the best climate though according to their residents? Perth and Brisbane! Yeah right.... This shows a clear bias, people who live in cities often live there because they enjoy the sort of climate that city gets. Melbourne people are just pandering to the stereotype in a mindless way, it is very irritating.

Last edited by ProudVIC; Jan 22nd 2011 at 5:32 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:27 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

That survey is ridiculous. It only asks Sydneysiders what they rate their own city. If somone from sydney was asked to rate their city they might say 4/10 if they were then asked to rate Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide they might say 1 or 2 out of ten.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:08 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Adelaide the best city, Sydney the worst, as voted by their own residents!

Thread's warming up nicely.

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:09 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Thread's warming up nicely.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2mrcgsz.gif
Can't tell, still crying in despair.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
At least you're not last

P.S. Nice as it is, I think the good folk of Adelaide have lower expectations
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.minimovers.com.au/
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:27 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

That's it I am off to the gap.

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:28 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'd call on Mr Mover first ... I want too see a removalist with depth perception issues in action.

Originally Posted by IvanM
That's it I am off to the gap.
Check out Inala first, it's ... grittier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.