Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ACE's Home Build with In Vogue

ACE's Home Build with In Vogue

Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:00 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACE's Home Build with In Vogue

By downlights do you mean spotlights or the ones that are recessed into the ceiling?
The ones that are recessed into the ceiling are the "dangerous" ones. Spotlights on a track will be fine.

We thought about double glazing but decided against it in the end. I would be really interested to know how much you are quoted.
We were quoted $35,900. That's including everything (i.e. labour, GST - no surprises).

We are supposed to get the costings for our house this week. I will then see how much "ordinary" windows and doors cost. Currently I am thinking if "ordinary" costs $20,000, then we have to pay $15,900 on top of that. That's well worth it to me.

The quote of $35,900 includes 15 windows, 1 Alfresco door, 1 upstairs balcony door, 1 laundry door, 1 garage door. Some of the windows are huge, floor to ceiling ones. Quote also includes the fly-screens for all the windows. Fly-screens for the doors are extra because another company makes them (will phone them for quote today).

If you think of it in terms of rooms: 4 bedrooms, study, retreat, bathroom, powder room, en-suite, toilet, laundry, kitchen, theatre room, living room.

The windows are "Koemmerling" and have four cold and four hot stars on the "Window Energy Rating Scheme" (WERS: www.wers.net)

The company who did us the quote is "Perth Double Glazing" who are in Rockingham: Unit 6, 8 Savery Way.

The quote details the price window by window.

There is another double-glazing company in Perth. They also use the "Koemmerling" windows. I'll go and visit them as well and get a quote just to compare. But I was very happy with the set-up at "Perth Double Glazing".

We are having extra insulation as well: R6.0 between the joists plus anti-con blanket under the roof tiles.

We should be nice and cool in summer, toasty-warm in winter and our air-con / heating bills should be nice and low, too.

Gina
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:14 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
By downlights do you mean spotlights or the ones that are recessed into the ceiling?
The ones that are recessed into the ceiling are the "dangerous" ones. Spotlights on a track will be fine.

We thought about double glazing but decided against it in the end. I would be really interested to know how much you are quoted.
We were quoted $35,900. That's including everything (i.e. labour, GST - no surprises).

We are supposed to get the costings for our house this week. I will then see how much "ordinary" windows and doors cost. Currently I am thinking if "ordinary" costs $20,000, then we have to pay $15,900 on top of that. That's well worth it to me.

The quote of $35,900 includes 15 windows, 1 Alfresco door, 1 upstairs balcony door, 1 laundry door, 1 garage door. Some of the windows are huge, floor to ceiling ones. Quote also includes the fly-screens for all the windows. Fly-screens for the doors are extra because another company makes them (will phone them for quote today).

If you think of it in terms of rooms: 4 bedrooms, study, retreat, bathroom, powder room, en-suite, toilet, laundry, kitchen, theatre room, living room.

The windows are "Koemmerling" and have four cold and four hot stars on the "Window Energy Rating Scheme" (WERS: www.wers.net)

The company who did us the quote is "Perth Double Glazing" who are in Rockingham: Unit 6, 8 Savery Way.

The quote details the price window by window.

There is another double-glazing company in Perth. They also use the "Koemmerling" windows. I'll go and visit them as well and get a quote just to compare. But I was very happy with the set-up at "Perth Double Glazing".

We are having extra insulation as well: R6.0 between the joists plus anti-con blanket under the roof tiles.

We should be nice and cool in summer, toasty-warm in winter and our air-con / heating bills should be nice and low, too.

Gina
Thanks for that Gina.
I like the idea of upgrading the insulation to R6.0. I was just wondering, what is an anti-con blanket?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACE
Thanks for that Gina.
I like the idea of upgrading the insulation to R6.0. I was just wondering, what is an anti-con blanket?
I'm guessing anti-condensation...
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:43 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACE
Thanks for that Gina.
The Anticon blanket goes directly under the roof tiles (like sarking). It provides a small amount of insulation against heat leaving the house. But it's biggest benefit is that it has a special coating/foil on its upper side. That reflects up to 95% of heat from getting into the roof cavity, i.e. its main benefit is in summer.

Both products, Anticon and the R6 insulation are made by CSR Bradford. Just tell your builder that's what you want.

Website is here: http://www.bradfordinsulation.com.au...rd/default.asp

Move the mouse over "Products". The R6 stuff is called "Bradford Gold High Performance" and you'll see "Anticon" in the list as well. (The Anticon is mentioned in connection with a metal roof but you can have it under a tiled roof as well.)

Gina
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:50 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm guessing anti-condensation...
Makes sense
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:53 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

The Anticon blanket goes directly under the roof tiles (like sarking). It provides a small amount of insulation against heat leaving the house. But it's biggest benefit is that it has a special coating/foil on its upper side. That reflects up to 95% of heat from getting into the roof cavity, i.e. its main benefit is in summer.

Both products, Anticon and the R6 insulation are made by CSR Bradford. Just tell your builder that's what you want.

Website is here: http://www.bradfordinsulation.com.au...rd/default.asp

Move the mouse over "Products". The R6 stuff is called "Bradford Gold High Performance" and you'll see "Anticon" in the list as well. (The Anticon is mentioned in connection with a metal roof but you can have it under a tiled roof as well.)

Gina
Thanks for the link Gina, I'll check it out.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:51 am
Banned

Our sales consultant is coming round tonight and we'll sign on another dotted line (plus pay over $4k).

It's still not the contract and we could still walk away (but would then lose the $4k). But by signing this tonight, we lock-in the construction price.

Sales consultant says prices will go up very soon (possibly by up to 20%) because of the increase in the price of steel.

Exciting that we've reached another stage .

Gina
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:44 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Our sales consultant is coming round tonight and we'll sign on another dotted line (plus pay over $4k).

It's still not the contract and we could still walk away (but would then lose the $4k). But by signing this tonight, we lock-in the construction price.

Sales consultant says prices will go up very soon (possibly by up to 20%) because of the increase in the price of steel.

Exciting that we've reached another stage .

Gina
Great news, I am really excited for you.

I checked out the link, really interesting. I spoke to In Vogue about upgrading and they said that if the supervisor agreed it would be OK but we would most likely have to pay a post construction change fee so we'll probabaly stick with what we have.

Last edited by ACE; Jul 31st 2008 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:37 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

We have been mega busy this week with the usual soccer, martial arts, swimming etc (the kids not me) we really didn't expect the guys to do much this week as the weather hasn't been too flash. Anyway we managed to find a gap in yesterday's schedule and popped along to the block. Well, to our surprise and utter delight the guys have been working hard and we now have some more window and door frames and some internal walls.
Attached Thumbnails ACE's Home Build with In Vogue-side.jpg   ACE's Home Build with In Vogue-wcbathwalls.jpg   ACE's Home Build with In Vogue-bed2games.jpg   ACE's Home Build with In Vogue-bed2side.jpg   ACE's Home Build with In Vogue-wcwalls.jpg  

Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ACE
I checked out the link, really interesting. I spoke to In Vogue about upgrading and they said that if the supervisor agreed it would be OK but we would most likely have to pay a post construction change fee so we'll probabaly stick with what we have.
The way I understand it, these batts come in sealed packs. So, when the house is finished, you could have them added then. Either do-it-yourself or pay a man to come and do it.

Pictures look great. Keep them coming!!!

We now have to be patient and wait and wait and wait: (1) For the contract. (2) For the building licence (which comes when the council has approved everything). We've been told that we are lucky and our local council is an "easy one". Apparently it varies greatly how local councils do this and how long it takes.

Gina
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:34 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Visited the site on Saturday. The guys had enclosed the laundry, finished the external walls for the theatre room and bed 3 and made a start on the garage.

The forecast for Mandurah is dry and sunny for the next 3 or 4 days so they should continue to make great progress.
Attached Thumbnails ACE's Home Build with In Vogue-bed3garage.jpg   ACE's Home Build with In Vogue-frontdoortheatre.jpg   ACE's Home Build with In Vogue-laundrybathroom.jpg  
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our consultant is a serial builder himself and we've picked some handy tips from him. For example, he is against those ceiling downlighters that are really "in" at the moment.

He said we lose a house a week in Perth because of these. Each of the downlighters has its own transformer in the ceiling. And they get HOT. If they catch fire you won't know until it's too late, because there is of course no fire alarm above the ceiling.

I've looked into this a bit more and found out if you have those downlighters and roof insulation (between the joists), it makes your insulation less efficient. That's because of the transformers the insulation has to be raised rather than lying snug against the ceiling.

Although thise downlighters look fab, we won't have them now.
It's fairly simple - just don't install the ones with the transformers. We have fitted downlighters all over the house with dimmers but they're wired in normally - no transformers and they get no hotter than a normal light fitting.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:00 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It's fairly simple - just don't install the ones with the transformers. We have fitted downlighters all over the house with dimmers but they're wired in normally - no transformers and they get no hotter than a normal light fitting.
whats wrong with downlights with tranformers? i wouldnt install anything else. we had the last house for 3 years and only one transformer and one dichroic replaced out of 48 lights. downlights are discreet and do not date. anything with a shade gets full of insects and fluros are show up all the imperfections in the gyprock setting and the light they generate is horrible.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
whats wrong with downlights with tranformers? i wouldnt install anything else. we had the last house for 3 years and only one transformer and one dichroic replaced out of 48 lights. downlights are discreet and do not date. anything with a shade gets full of insects and fluros are show up all the imperfections in the gyprock setting and the light they generate is horrible.
It's great not having to clean out shades We love them, just don't bother with the ones that need transformers.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:11 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACE
Visited the site on Saturday. The guys had enclosed the laundry, finished the external walls for the theatre room and bed 3 and made a start on the garage.

The forecast for Mandurah is dry and sunny for the next 3 or 4 days so they should continue to make great progress.
Bloody hell Ace. It's nearly a house!

Brings back memories of last year....I bet your dead excited now they've started building. I know I was

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.