Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Abuse of Australian citizenship ?

Abuse of Australian citizenship ?

Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abuse of Australian citizenship ?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its what you will need of you want to leave and re-enter Australia after the expiry of the five year travel period of your PR visa. If you don't intentd to become a citizen I suggest you read up on it

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia

Citizenship may have been free once but I think thats a good long time ago.
I only took citizenship in 2004, according to the certificate, and I do not recall paying anything other than for the passport. I know I didn't do a test. Maybe they thought as I had lived here since 1966, that I should know everything there is to know. The interview was just a chat about the then current state of the nation and how it had changed.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I only took citizenship in 2004, according to the certificate, and I do not recall paying anything other than for the passport. I know I didn't do a test. Maybe they thought as I had lived here since 1966, that I should know everything there is to know. The interview was just a chat about the then current state of the nation and how it had changed.
Earliest I can find is here http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/990i1104.pdf which has $120 listed for grant of citizenship. Can't find figures yet for before that and I must admit in those days I didn't take much notice!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
Oz is still run by the crooks that originally settled here. Whether it's an RRV or citizenship they make money for doing **** all. Oz immigration is a complete swizz!!!
I'm afraid that is citizenship the world over ........ click on the PDF on the right hand side

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...applying/cost/

There is also a test .... not sure if that costs ..... there is also a passport to buy and the link also says the ceremony costs extra.

Sure its expensive and probably a money maker but it is what it is.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are several threads about it in the Immigration forum - I'd hesitate to say yes or no myself but there are people who have gone through it.
Have a look for threads in the Immi forum about Ministerial Discretion - such as this one http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737387
Thanks Polly. Certainly seems like it can be done.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oz is still run by the crooks that originally settled here.

They should step down and give some younger people a chance.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Oz is still run by the crooks that originally settled here. Whether it's an RRV or citizenship they make money for doing **** all. Oz immigration is a complete swizz!!!
Not a fan then?
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
This smacks of double standards

What if someone lives in Aus over 35 years having paid taxes, obeyed the law and spent their money in Aus? Just like you want the choice to move back to wherever they prefer.

Your starting post was about taking out citizenship and not living in that country yet it's OK to obtain citizenship from where you were born but not live there and keep the same citizenship

Personally duel citizenship is OK lets face it if someone obtains the right to move somewhere it's because the country wants them and if the same person wants to move around so what so long as they pay taxes whilst they are there. Realistically how many go back and forth in real terms as the majority stay in one place - the "failure" rate is not worth getting our knickers in a twist for - live and let live and freedom of choice I reckon
Don't know why you are having a go at me and going on about double standards. I am just pointing out the Australian government's rules are about citizenship. I didn't make the rules.

I couldn't give a toss what people do after they get citizenship. But I can tell you that declaration you sign on form 1300t Conferral of Application for Australian Citizenship is taken seriously by DIAC and very important when your case officer is deciding whether or not grant you citizenship.

I know of someone who mentioned at his interview before taking the citizenship test that he was planning to go overseas for 2-3years after getting citizenship.

Before his case officer granted citizenship he had to provide proof - such as bank statements and documents showing ownership of property - as evidence he was going to maintain ties to Australia.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 25th 2013 at 1:17 pm. Reason: fixing quotes for clarity
Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Under the current rules only applicants aged between 18 and 60 do the citizenship test. Those aged 60 or over don't even need to attend an interview. All you do is fill out form 1290, pay $130 or just $20 if you have a Centrelink health care card, provide certified copies of your proof of identitity documents, complete the police check form and once approved attend the ceremony.

You might get asked to provide an overseas police clearance certificate from countries in which you have spent 90 days or if you have been out of Australia for 365 days or more since getting PR.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 25th 2013 at 1:17 pm. Reason: fixing quotes for clarity
Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
I couldn't give a toss what people do after they get citizenship.
That isn't what you suggested in your opening post:
They took everything with them and as far as I know have nothing to show they are maintaining "a close and continuing association with Australia". Talk about being hypocritical.
You either don't give a toss, or you think it's hypocritical. Which is it?
Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I think its the best part of a 1000 pounds to become a british citizen ....... it all costs.
£874 is the current cost for British citizenship. As the Life in the UK test is required for ILR (permanent residency), most people applying now would have probably already passed the test. If they haven't then the test costs £50 (plus you need to buy the book if you can't get it from someone else).
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
£874 is the current cost for British citizenship. As the Life in the UK test is required for ILR (permanent residency), most people applying now would have probably already passed the test. If they haven't then the test costs £50 (plus you need to buy the book if you can't get it from someone else).
+ cost of a passport .... best part of £1000 all up. Not something most people would be throwing away too easily, especially if you are a janitor originating from poverty.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:19 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know why you are having a go at me and going on about double standards. I am just pointing out the Australian government's rules are about citizenship. I didn't make the rules.

I couldn't give a toss what people do after they get citizenship. .
Not having a go mate just pointing out your first post where you clearly mention you are not happy about people getting citizenship then buggering off and leaving Oz.

The fact is life aint black and white and sometimes some people have to go back for many, many reasons such as family issues or jobs over here don't materialise or they can't afford to survive in Australia or job satisfaction over here doesn't work...etc....etc....

You can't judge everyone as everyone has their own reasons for gaining citizenship and going back or staying. I suspect the fact "ties to Aus" are written into the rules is so Aus can retain the right to refuse anyone returning if there is strong enough reason to not let them do so. Rules are in place to allow flexibility on all sides as there are always going to be exceptions - to make it ridged causes more administration grief if rules are inflexible as it's less realistic.

Basically duel nationality allows people to come and go freely and it leaves the door open for people to return to Aus which in the end means more money returns to the coffers in the Aus economy if the door isn't closed indefinitely. The majority of people do in fact stay so this is probably only a small percentage of folks anyway ...so no big deal and certainly not worth the huge admin costs to manage if people do chose to go back.

The other thing is some people don't settle in Aus to begin with and feel lost and this can take years and all it takes is for circumstances to change and they go back "home". Once they return home they find they no longer "fit in" and decide to move back to Aus and second time round they are more familiar and settle better in Australia. These are all normal circumstances and people should be allowed to come and go until they finally settle wherever they want.

Life aint black and white and current rules are flexible which is how it should be I reckon
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Not having a go mate just pointing out your first post where you clearly mention you are not happy about people getting citizenship then buggering off and leaving Oz.

The fact is life aint black and white and sometimes some people have to go back for many, many reasons such as family issues or jobs over here don't materialise or they can't afford to survive in Australia or job satisfaction over here doesn't work...etc....etc....

You can't judge everyone as everyone has their own reasons for gaining citizenship and going back or staying. I suspect the fact "ties to Aus" are written into the rules is so Aus can retain the right to refuse anyone returning if there is strong enough reason to not let them do so. Rules are in place to allow flexibility on all sides as there are always going to be exceptions - to make it ridged causes more administration grief if rules are inflexible as it's less realistic.

Basically duel nationality allows people to come and go freely and it leaves the door open for people to return to Aus which in the end means more money returns to the coffers in the Aus economy if the door isn't closed indefinitely. The majority of people do in fact stay so this is probably only a small percentage of folks anyway ...so no big deal and certainly not worth the huge admin costs to manage if people do chose to go back.

The other thing is some people don't settle in Aus to begin with and feel lost and this can take years and all it takes is for circumstances to change and they go back "home". Once they return home they find they no longer "fit in" and decide to move back to Aus and second time round they are more familiar and settle better in Australia. These are all normal circumstances and people should be allowed to come and go until they finally settle wherever they want.

Life aint black and white and current rules are flexible which is how it should be I reckon
...........and some actually do fit in and settle in the UK and wonder why they bother with dualcitz.
Tha' never knows, dost tha?

Ahhh! Mon petty shoe....sometimes life is judged on 'Black and White'...
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:22 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
...........and some actually do fit in and settle in the UK and wonder why they bother with dualcitz.
Tha' never knows, dost tha?

Ahhh! Mon petty shoe....sometimes life is judged on 'Black and White'...
true - some leave and never regret it and couldn't care less if they have Aussie citizenship as they are happy "back home"

home is where the heart is
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

true - some leave and never regret it and couldn't care less if they have Aussie citizenship as they are happy "back home"

home is where the heart is
I know kiddo; I know. Some appear to struggle with the concept.

Whatever suits. No one should have to justify their decision on location. And I mean.....no one.

(Btw: love the tag, and the little lad with his unruly mop!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.