Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Abuse of Australian citizenship ?

Abuse of Australian citizenship ?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abuse of Australian citizenship ?

Originally Posted by denzil73
No they won't. Just like private pensions in the UK you can transfer them to your Oz super so long as they are signed up to the scheme. I did this with Sunsuper and can take it with me if I wish.

As for citizenship. Sure why not, handy when travelling but I refuse to pay the money to take some stupid test that used to be free to take. With passport application fee included you're looking at the sharp end of a grand. Now they can F*** off as I've already paid close to 6 grand for my permenant residence visas
But the alternative is paying for a RRV every five years. Citizenship soon works out cheaper.

As far as I'm aware there is no cost for the test either, just a cost for citizsnship itself - unless thats changed recently?

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 22nd 2013 at 6:07 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:21 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
I was in Australia by virtue of being an NZ citizen; would not have met the points requirements to get any other visa and throughout my time in Aus that never changed. It's not that I necessarily didn't want Aus citizenship, I wasn't eligible and wouldn't be in the future unless the rules change.
You weren't eligible, and that is quite different from the people I'm talking about.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:33 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I still havent seen where anyone has said that people have no clue what nationality they are, could you point that out?
Posts #28 and #35 both provide examples of people who hadn't given any thought to their nationality, i.e., didn't know what it was. I'm not sure why I entered into the debate with Gibbo anyway because the first thing she says when contradicting my initial post is that the reason these people have no clue what their nationality is, is because they are entered onto the electoral roll with all their mates at 18, but unless I'm very much mistaken non-citizens cannot vote in Australian Commonwealth federal and state elections and referendums unless they were British subjects on the roll before 1984, i.e., born in at least 1966. If so, then not only do these people have no idea what their own nationality is, but they also broke the law and failed to vote at about 20 federal elections where they would have been informed they were not citizens. Which is obviously nonsense.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 11:19 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

as long as they work within the law people have a right to do what they want it's called freedom of choice

and sometimes people do things for different reasons
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 11:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
as long as they work within the law people have a right to do what they want it's called freedom of choice

and sometimes people do things for different reasons
Totally agree. Am going to unsubscribe from thread to extend my lifespan!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:13 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
But the alternative is paying for a RRV every five years. Citizenship soon works out cheaper.

As far as I'm aware there is no cost for the test either, just a cost for citizsnship itself - unless thats changed recently?
No fee for test.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
No fee for test.
That's what I thought, can't see where he got that from!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:54 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

funnily enough we said that we would get citizenship and go back to the UK but we are still here and about to start house buying.

I don't think it's an abuse more that people aren't closing the door on Australia as they don't have a crystal ball to see what the future holds.
Many do come back and live productive lives as Australians, some don't but they still have that option.

No one knows what the future will bring, maybe their close relationship with Australia is just a yearning to go back there.

as for people not knowing their nationality it's not exactly something you think about every day and some who came as kids have never gone abroad and not given it a thought until something reminds them. They do know what nationality they are but many older people make erroneous assumptions about their rights.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

If you get citizenship then go back to the UK do you still have to vote here?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Did you renounce your other citizenship(s) when you became an Australian citizen and decided to stay in Australia permanently?
C'mon kips...this one really needs an answer...I think it's the second time it was asked.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:00 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
If you get citizenship then go back to the UK do you still have to vote here?
no, but you can vote overseas at designated places or use the postal vote, which will not get there in time anyway!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher

They do know what nationality they are but many older people make erroneous assumptions about their rights.
Don't agree that older people make errors about their rights. Those who came with PR and had the right to vote were, in the main, young and knew exactly what their rights were. Those who have come since that time I assume know all the things that they can't do on a PR visa.
Pollyanna is so right when she said it was cheaper to get citizenship and a passport than RRVs. That's one of the reasons I eventually took citizenship. RRVs used to cost nothing, then $30 and the last one I got was $90! Don't know what they cost now.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Don't agree that older people make errors about their rights. Those who came with PR and had the right to vote were, in the main, young and knew exactly what their rights were. Those who have come since that time I assume know all the things that they can't do on a PR visa.
Pollyanna is so right when she said it was cheaper to get citizenship and a passport than RRVs. That's one of the reasons I eventually took citizenship. RRVs used to cost nothing, then $30 and the last one I got was $90! Don't know what they cost now.
well the ones I know do make erroneous assumptions! they have never left the country and came here as babies and are now in their late 70s and 80s.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
well the ones I know do make erroneous assumptions! they have never left the country and came here as babies and are now in their late 70s and 80s.
My apologies. Never entered my head to consider those people who emigrated before the second world war. It should have though, because I had an uncle who came to South Australia some time between WW1 and WW2. In fact my maternal grandparents were on holiday in SA when WW2 was declared.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
C'mon kips...this one really needs an answer...I think it's the second time it was asked.
It depends. Some countries will not allow dual nationality and so people from them countries have to drop there old nationality. For Brits, they can have both and do not renounce their British nationality

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.