Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Abuse of Australian citizenship ?

Abuse of Australian citizenship ?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:36 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abuse of Australian citizenship ?

Originally Posted by Beoz
It does help if you commit a very serious crime and want to avoid deportation.
What amazes me are the stories of people who have been here for 30 years and then get deported for the reasons you describe. Living in a place for 30 years and not taking out citizenship is more of an affront than taking it out and leaving, in my view.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Free sausage sizzle every day
Knew there was a reason you wanted it! Plus you get a little tree to look after

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
But the parents in this case are not "cheating" as they still have strong ties to Australia because their daughter and grandchildren are still here.
Of course, seems perfectly reasonable to me - but they still don't intend to "live"here for the rest of their lives so where does that leave them where the OPs ideas are concerned?

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Hypocritical people abusing the citizenship system - shocking. So, assuming you have no intention to return to the UK, OP, when are you planning on renouncing your British citizenship? Or is that different? People hold multiple citizenships because they can and it gives them options. How are you any different to those you judge?
So many different reasons, I don't think anyonbe has the right to judge anyone else's decision cos they can't possibly know all the reasonimg behind it.
I did it cos it was cheaper than getting a RRV every 5 years. No way could I say whether I intend to live her for ever cos I can't see into the future.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
What amazes me are the stories of people who have been here for 30 years and then get deported for the reasons you describe. Living in a place for 30 years and not taking out citizenship is more of an affront than taking it out and leaving, in my view.
I know a guy who came to Australia when he was 2 with his parents from the UK ..... as Aussie as they come but is only a permanent resident on a UK passport as he has never been bothered to go through the citizenship process ......... he is now 47
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:33 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I know a guy who came to Australia when he was 2 with his parents from the UK ..... as Aussie as they come but is only a permanent resident on a UK passport as he has never been bothered to go through the citizenship process ......... he is now 47
If you look at some of the high profile cases of people like this who face deportation one of things that comes up is a disbelief that they can be told to leave "their" country. They feel that way because they were raised here like your acquaintance. The fact is if you're not a citizen, you're not a citizen, full stop.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Sully1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kips
When you apply for Australian citizenship the application form asks you to sign a declaration which states: "I declare that I intend to reside or continue to reside in Australia or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia".

Time and time again I have read posts on here from people who state they are staying in Australia just long enough to get their citizenship and then intend to return to Britain.

I presume in many cases this means selling your house, closing your bank account and taking all your worldly goods with you.

My question to these people is how will you abide by the above declaration you sign when you apply for citizenship if you have no intention of living in Australia after gaining citizenship ?

A warning on the form above the declaration before you sign states: "It is an offence under section 50 of the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 to deliberately make, or cause to make, a false or misleading statement, or conceal circumstances in relation to an application."

As other posts on this forum have shown the government can bring in new rules without warning or consultation eg WA to charge 457 visa holders school fees and the changes to the rules on the Fringe Benefits Tax.

It wouldn't surprise me if the government suddenly decides to change the citizenship rules to ensure people have to prove they intend to maintain ties with Australia after being granted citizenship to plug this loophole.

I can understand people may have to return to their native country after acquiring citizenship for circumstances beyond their control eg death of a family member or breakdown of a relationship but it seems to me too many people are abusing the citizenship process.

A couple I know,who lived here for 8 years, spent the last 12 months slagging off Australia every opportunity they got but stayed long enough to get their citizenship and have gone back to Wales. Their constant criticisms of Australia became very tiresome.

They took everything with them and as far as I know have nothing to show they are maintaining "a close and continuing association with Australia". Talk about being hypocritical.
The Citizenship help you gain work in government departments. If you do leave Australia there will be a part of you left in Australia. Any super (pension) funds, will remain .
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at some of the high profile cases of people like this who face deportation one of things that comes up is a disbelief that they can be told to leave "their" country. They feel that way because they were raised here like your acquaintance. The fact is if you're not a citizen, you're not a citizen, full stop.
No they are not citizens but they would have voted in elections and done everything a citizen could do.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:32 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
No they are not citizens but they would have voted in elections and done everything a citizen could do.
Yes the only difference is they dont have the piece of paper. I do find the thread title quite odd, why is it abuse? There is no reason why it should be any different in Australia than anywhere else. Citizenship for many is a matter of convenience.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:16 am
Banned

Still doesn't explain why they would be so shocked when threatened with deportation. They're not kids and they know the score.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Still doesn't explain why they would be so shocked when threatened with deportation. They're not kids and they know the score.
The point is that they possibly came when the were very young. When they were 18 they went on the electoral roll like all their mates so wouldn't give citizenship a thought. When you vote etc you don't think about it. I was here for 36 or so years before I became a citizen. Didn't see the need until Mr Keating began to change things. I also nagged my eldest two sons to do the deed - which they eventually did.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:29 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The point is that they possibly came when the were very young. When they were 18 they went on the electoral roll like all their mates so wouldn't give citizenship a thought. When you vote etc you don't think about it. I was here for 36 or so years before I became a citizen. Didn't see the need until Mr Keating began to change things. I also nagged my eldest two sons to do the deed - which they eventually did.
I agree, I moved to Australia when I was 2 and if it wasnt for the travelling I doubt I would have given it any thought. In my mind I was living in Australia as an Australian so a piece of paper making it official wouldnt have even entered my head.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:30 am
Banned

Presumably you knew you were not a citizen and could be deported in extreme circumstances. That's the issue. I don't buy that people simply don't know what nationality they are.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:38 am
Banned

I dont think anyone has said anybody wouldnt know what nationality they are. I think the point is that if you have grown up in a country from a very early age you dont even give it a thought.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Doesn't matter whether you "buy" it or not, those who come here as small children consider themselves Australian because they know nothing else. It may seem strange to you but people who have lived here for forty years or so never think of nationality unless circumstance brings the subject up. You may consider yourself English and I know I'm a Scot but no matter where they were born my sons considers themselves Australian, as do many others of their generation.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 11:15 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
This is worth a response!

In my view the OP makes a valid point. It is common today to take out Auscitz before returning to Britain, and not out of patriotism.

The Sunday prog featured a family last year who swore allegiance to Aus and then flew back to the UK 10 days later! (What a beat up that story was for other reasons!).
They did it to keep their options open, as do most of them nowadays.

The thing is, irrespective of the legal small print, I don't think the AusGov gives one damn! They know full well what is going on, and I suspect see it as par for the course, because many of those folks will return to Aus.
So they get the ebb and flow of a populace.

I haven't done it, because there is no need. I was never Australian, it was not my intent; it just happened. For me personally, it would be hypocritical to take out Auscitz. It was never an option.
Do you also not eat meat / fish? and read the Book of Leviticus?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 11:19 am
Banned

Doesn't matter whether you "buy" it or not, those who come here as small children consider themselves Australian because they know nothing else. It may seem strange to you but people who have lived here for forty years or so never think of nationality unless circumstance brings the subject up. You may consider yourself English and I know I'm a Scot but no matter where they were born my sons considers themselves Australian, as do many others of their generation.
Perhaps "buy it" is too loose a term. What I meant to say was, no one but a small child or a mentally incapacitated adult is not aware of their nationality status, whether they "give it thought" or not. This is why the surprise of some of those suddenly confronted with deportation is so fascinating. Everyone in our family is British and Australian, and as the kids grow up they will understand this. Frankly, anyone who goes through life without considering their own nationality deserves everything he gets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.