!8 mths of being in Oz!!

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Quote: We've been here only a few months, have joined the Brisbane British Club (BBC), fairly new group, have been to one of the meet ups last month which was a bit of a laugh and have made some friends through there. Theres a meet up this sunday at the Pig & Whistle at around 12 if you fancy coming along. http://brit.meetup.com/246/
    Hi Lisa and Lance,
    Just wondering which Pig 'n' Whistle you are meeting at as I fancy coming along for a couple of scoops...
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Quote: Hi Lisa and Lance,
    Just wondering which Pig 'n' Whistle you are meeting at as I fancy coming along for a couple of scoops...
    i think they mean the one on queen st mall but i could be wrong
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    thought there was one down on eagle street pier too
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Hi,

    Sounds like it's the one by eagle street pier...

    Cheers

    Ginny
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    It's the one on Eagle Street, sorry for late response, only just seen your posts.
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Don't want to advertise or anything but my wife has just started work at Capers in Buderim which is a great little coffee shop close to Mountain Creek, Mooloolaba Etc. Maybe the ladies could organize a monthly meet up for coffee and a chat? I'm sure the missus could get a small discount and she'd love to meet up with others as well
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Quote: Don't want to advertise or anything but my wife has just started work at Capers in Buderim which is a great little coffee shop close to Mountain Creek, Mooloolaba Etc. Maybe the ladies could organize a monthly meet up for coffee and a chat? I'm sure the missus could get a small discount and she'd love to meet up with others as well
    OOO even better for me to pop along too when we land, we are going to MC.
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Quote: OOO even better for me to pop along too when we land, we are going to MC.
    Not long until you arrive now then? Plenty of rain here at the moment (over the weekend) but it looks nice and sunny today.

    There seems to be a meetup every 2 months or so, the last one was at the Kawana Hotel in the evening time. Maybe for those with younger kids a daytime meet would be better?
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Quote: Don't want to advertise or anything but my wife has just started work at Capers in Buderim which is a great little coffee shop close to Mountain Creek, Mooloolaba Etc. Maybe the ladies could organize a monthly meet up for coffee and a chat? I'm sure the missus could get a small discount and she'd love to meet up with others as well
    Whereabouts in buderim? I am sure can arrange something with the girls sometime
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Hi Jude

    I am living in Cashmere - been in Brissie 7 years and was in Sydney 3 years before that. I met most of my friends in Sydney at school/playgroup. Found most Aussies very friendly and interested although I did find I had to go to EVERYTHING I was invited to to keep potential friendships going. (After a while your novelty factor runs out!) Made some really good Aussie, Irish, Austrian, Japanese and American friends. Moved up to Brissie, made most friends through building new house at same time as others. Most of friends here are in fact expats - missed pommy sense of humour and OH kept upsetting people with his dry wit, but still have some excellent Aussie friends and also some South African expats (always got something in common with expats).

    I could have quite easily gone home any time during first 2 years, but promised myself I would give it a fair go. Now I couldn't contemplate going back even though I still love England.

    Stay strong - you'll be pleased you did. If you want to meet up send me a PM.
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Quote: Not long until you arrive now then? Plenty of rain here at the moment (over the weekend) but it looks nice and sunny today.

    There seems to be a meetup every 2 months or so, the last one was at the Kawana Hotel in the evening time. Maybe for those with younger kids a daytime meet would be better?
    No not at all. Looking excitedly forward in one way - but upsettingly at what we have coming up over this next 3 weeks. Going to be a killer with the goodbyes.

    Can I ask, we are sending the kids to Mountain Creek High School and were orginally heart set on Mountain Creek as an area to live, but the more property we are sent in Buderim seems to be swaying my OH. Plus all the houses we like are still in the catchment area. We want a social life (so to speak) for our kids and want them to be able to make friends who live nearby (our kids ages 16 &11). Does anyone know which would be the best place for us to settle with the kids in mind??? Buderim/MC???

    sorry hijacking the thread, i do apologise but working on others experience.
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Quote: Whereabouts in buderim? I am sure can arrange something with the girls sometime
    Capers, which is in the main street just up from ANZ bank
  • Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!
    Jude

    I have stumbled across you post on here, and find it quiet strange. I am Simon from Gloucester and have just had a job offer for Brisbane. Me and my wife are struggling to make a decision on to make the jump or not.

    We have two children Megan (4) and Finlay (2) and have been looking at Strathpine/Warner/Petrie as possible locations to live. I would love any advice on the area, or any at all for that matter.


    Anything you want to know about good old Gloucester ?