Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

60k Salary in Melbourne or Brisbane managebale??

60k Salary in Melbourne or Brisbane managebale??

Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:13 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 60k Salary in Melbourne or Brisbane managebale??

Originally Posted by Leaving the UK
Its not like i've packed my bags, booked my flights and was ready to leave. My research and posting on this particular website was the initial stages to get a feel for things before I sit down and work out some numbers. I did mention ive applied for jobs, that was to see the real salary I could expect and to see how quick I can find jobs.
You haven't mentioned exactly what your skills are (and thus the visa/job expectations). A point to consider is that you can often find a route to a better paid job here via some local qualifications. Just because you do X in the UK, doesn't mean that's the only possibility here. And as mentioned, skilled migration with a permanent visa is better than a 457.

Originally Posted by Leaving the UK
From this point onwards This thread will be CLOSED. I will get a moderator to do it shortly.
Mods around these parts tend to close threads only when they really go off the rails, and this discussion is actually quite useful methinks.

Originally Posted by jimlad007
I am a glazier by trade and hopefully have some kind of job to go straight into when I arrive I know that glaziers etc aren't the highest paid jobs going probably similar to the 60k mentioned in this thread am I going to struggle like hell to keep us a float????
Looking at the job ads, I'd say you are probably right. However tradies here tend to do quite well, what with all the building, and many move from quals>job>running their own business. One thing I would definitely say - you will be used to double glazing - and that's rare and expensive here. Someone with a plan that looked towards setting up an affordable double glazing business might do quite well ...

$60k as a singleton is quite doable; with a family is much harder. However, people do do it.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

jimlad007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard theres lots of strange rules about starting your own business?
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to thread jump here, so I'm moving to oz on a skilled visa hope to be there in a few months staying with friends with my wife and 2 young children near Melbourne.

I am a glazier by trade and hopefully have some kind of job to go straight into when I arrive I know that glaziers etc aren't the highest paid jobs going probably similar to the 60k mentioned in this thread am I going to struggle like hell to keep us a float????

Either way I'm going as its cost me £10,000 so far getting a visa lol just be nice to know. My children are 6 and 2 years old my wife is able to work etc
You may not struggle like hell. Depends how much you want to spend to live. In 5 years time you may have stumbled across an opportunity that allows you to earn more.

Immigrating forces you out of your comfort zone and people often do amazing things when out of their comfort zone.

I would never think of it on today's situation. Think of what it could be tomorrow.

And if you listen too much to the glass half empties here on BE, you'll never do anything.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I heard theres lots of strange rules about starting your own business?
Do enlighten us?
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
Do enlighten us?
mainly just about needing loads of money lol in Uk you can just work self employed and do what you want aslong as you fill in a tax return at the end of year, is it similar in Oz?

I would love to do my own work I have been doing my line of work now for 15years
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:54 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

mainly just about needing loads of money lol in Uk you can just work self employed and do what you want aslong as you fill in a tax return at the end of year, is it similar in Oz?
Basically, yes.

There are regs on registration, qualification, etc. (aussies love regulations), and building has certifications to stop cowboys (lots of cowboys), but I wouldn't say it's overly complex. Tick the boxes and you are OK.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to do my own work I have been doing my line of work now for 15years

It depends on what you do, A couple I know do this, he does the heavy work and does have plenty of building tickets. Whereas his wife has none but does lots of painting and maintenance work and is never without work. She does a lot of work in muslim households.

Another bloke I know can basically build you an extension with no tickets... he gets his tradesmen mates in to sign off on the build and charges 35 bucks per hour cash in hand. I would trust him far more than any builder out of the phone book. I'm actually going to get him to knock down a back shed, level the ground with a bob cat and have the waste removed, then he will build me a area for parking a motor home including electrical and water connections with a outside kitchen, toilet and shower... plus build me a made to order 6 meter(ish) sliding cantilever remote control gate, which he will weld up to size himself (much like the one he already built at his own place and more since)..... So I can fit a 24 foot motor home into my back yard from a laneway. If this is the kind of thing you can do, you will never run out of work. All the work will be signed of by his tradesman buddies. plumber/electrician. One of my old postie mates actually.... He started life as a Panel beater.... So he can restore cars and does for people as well.

I think you'll find everyone on these boards would like someone like that, that they can absolutely trust in their circle. The main issue is getting to know people so you can get help either getting work or with tricky issues.

Gardening handman rounds hardly need any certificates and if your good you will get plenty of work via referrals. Usual charge 25 to 30 bucks per hour.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 21st 2016 at 11:31 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Same in Oz.

You do need tickets for some things, but that's a good thing for you so you can charge the premium unlike the UK where anyone can do anything and the lowest of low Polish price wins.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Same in Oz.

You do need tickets for some things, but that's a good thing for you so you can charge the premium unlike the UK where anyone can do anything and the lowest of low Polish price wins.
He he. I've lived in 'Oz' for what, 12 years and the only permit I've ever needed was the annual retainer I pay for my dog..

It all depends on whether you want to play the blue battler Union game, the petit bourgeois small business game or the professional game...pick a corner, any corner that best fits you..

There are tickets here and there of course. Don't think anyone has ever itemised what they are or whether they are truly problematic or unreasonable. Aside : I recall people yacking about council permission in the UK: it's the same here but by and large once you've got the approval you're good to go. We have a rural council and large blocks so most people end up building what they wanted..

Ozzie is a big champion of relatively high paid blue collar work (I like his style) but you wonder where that will end up.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
He he. I've lived in 'Oz' for what, 12 years and the only permit I've ever needed was the annual retainer I pay for my dog..

It all depends on whether you want to play the blue battler Union game, the petit bourgeois small business game or the professional game...pick a corner, any corner that best fits you..

There are tickets here and there of course. Don't think anyone has ever itemised what they are or whether they are truly problematic or unreasonable. Aside : I recall people yacking about council permission in the UK: it's the same here but by and large once you've got the approval you're good to go. We have a rural council and large blocks so most people end up building what they wanted..

Ozzie is a big champion of relatively high paid blue collar work (I like his style) but you wonder where that will end up.
Ha ha. Yes Ozzie has been banging on about his massive looming redundancy for a few years now. Looking less and less likely as the years roll on.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha. Yes Ozzie has been banging on about his massive looming redundancy for a few years now. Looking less and less likely as the years roll on.
Ozzie is one of my fav mates on BE. He really is the poster boy for the 30+ dollars an hour 'pick and mix' job. I'd do it too if I had a terrace in Carlton - absolute w*nkfest life.

Love his work and life. Our lives intersect in some ways - leave it at that - as this is a public arena..totally get his life...and luck

He'll understand, if not agree with my politics which is that unions are great for bargaining but that's where it should end - and as they do more than they should, they need to go.

cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 22nd 2016 at 2:53 am. Reason: yet more typos - cheers
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Got to admit attrition seems to be winning the day at our place recently. The latest was my offsider part-timer getting arrested and therefore stood down for someone who lives with her being involved in a high end car stealing racket. She got done for being an accessory after the fact and stood down pending trial and outcome without any comeback. Still waiting to see what happens there. That was a real strike from the blue that one. The police actually rang post office security on the day she was arrested and informed them.

We've been told by the union when the Large Letter machine comes in next year we are definitely gone. Trouble is the new small letter one at countless millions @ Dandenong they just introduced is a dud thus far.

So I'm getting pretty peed off by the whole thing currently. In fact we all got called into a meeting last friday morning and asked "Who is interested in a Package" with the caviet "There are none on the table at present" so I put my hand up... expecting maybe I'd hear this week....nothing, nada, zilch. They keep doing this and it really is frustrating to put it mildly. I suspect it's too close to xmas for me to go this year now.

The carrot keeps getting ripped out of my mouth.

If I haven't got it by the time the wife turns 60 in August next year, I'll be taking LSL at half pay or twice as long, which gives me a year off....then lots of sickies.... right through to normal retirement age at 66 in my case.... thats 3.5 years from August next year. I'm sure we will be gone by then though... but I've said that before I will admit.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 22nd 2016 at 3:41 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 9:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That's cool some of the threads on here can be really off putting, I'm willing to do whateva it takes to make it work and so would she as long as we have food on the table and fuel in the car for road trips that would be great lol we just waste money in the Uk and buy way too much crap we don't need kids could do with a wake up call lol
Are you moving on a permanent residency visa? One advantage of that is that you are entitled to certain benefits such as the child tax thingie - I can't go into details as I have no kids but I know it makes a difference cash-wise. Someone else will be able to tell you more.
The original poster at the staart of the thread was looking at a sponsored 457, on which he couldn't claim any benefits.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 9:26 am
Just Joined

moving on a skilled 189 visa
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 10:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

moving on a skilled 189 visa
You'll be entitled to certain benefits then, and I think you get help with childcare fees - have a look at similar threads on the forum and you should find some details. Much better than moving on a temp visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.