Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 mths on the gold coast and still not sure

6 mths on the gold coast and still not sure

Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice
Default 6 mths on the gold coast and still not sure

We have been here on the GC for the last 6 months. It has been hard to find work ( I am a teacher) and my Fiancee has started a travel agency up based from home which is a franchise which started up in the U.K. So the only work we have at the moment is part time, as my OH is building the business up he is working part time at Austar and i am trying to get some part time work in shops etc. We are having to dip into our savings to go towards the rent and have been looking at cheaper properties but there are a lot of people to every viewing that is listed at $400 a week or less.
We do like it here and if we had our own place feel we could make a go of it ( we can't afford to buy right now) and there is always that nagging feeling that life in the u.k. is always there and we both could go back to our original jobs and fit straight back in. We have no kids just 2 cats that came with us.

I am trying to find full time work but we are worried that another 6 mths will pass and we will then decide to go home and be in a much worse position financially as more savings will have gone, if not all of them.

We worked long hours in the U.K. 50 -60 hrs a week in each job. we just wanted to get away from that and to have some nice weather to boot but we wonder if life was really that bad, we didn't hate the U.K. yeah some things got us down, the usual (weather, lifestyle etc) but it's the same everywhere.

Anyway guys and gals thanks for listening and lets hope we make the right decision whether it be here or back in England.

Lisas
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 mths on the gold coast and still not sure

Sorry that you are having trouble finding work - perhaps a look at one of the country towns might yield more luck on the work front and also be a cheaper place to live! Once you can get your foot in the door with the education system then you have a better chance of getting a job down the track in a more desirable location. Ditch the GC and have a look at real Australia. Teaching in Aus can be really hard to get into unless you do the hard yards unfortunately.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
Sorry that you are having trouble finding work - perhaps a look at one of the country towns might yield more luck on the work front and also be a cheaper place to live! Once you can get your foot in the door with the education system then you have a better chance of getting a job down the track in a more desirable location. Ditch the GC and have a look at real Australia. Teaching in Aus can be really hard to get into unless you do the hard yards unfortunately.
I have to agree where teaching is concerned. It seems a lot of our country towns are badly in need of good teachers
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

Thx for the info.

Not sure that the countryside is for us but you never no.

Thx again.

Lisas
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

we, have a friend in oz, we were on the gc in currumbin and he was an aussie but he went to uni in uk but whilst we were there he was doing supply teaching which was getting to him as he was not happy moving around the schools, but after about 12 mths he has just been asked to stay on in a school permenantly in northern nsw near the country and he was living in kirra which he drives down in half hour, but hang on in there we're back in the uk for now after being away for 15 months and hate it!!!!!!! but will be back b4 our visa runs out in a couple fo years, nothings changed here typing this now in wales and its hailing!!!! AGAIN!!!! cant wait to gt back to wearing nothing!!! hope this helps a bit
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

it takes at least a year to 18 mnths to settle,and loads of people on this forum to meet up with, i wish i had known myself as me and oh are only 30 so would have loved to meet up with some people, deffo next time..
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

It sounds like its still very early days for you. In one way you've answered your own question by quoting the long hours you worked in the UK.

I think that the hardest thing for those who don't come out to a job can be finding one. It was certainly the most stressful bit for us.

It also sounds like your in a really competitive area for jobs and cheaper rentals, so this is obviously going to have an impact on your savings.

I really wouldn't discount another area, you really won't know unless you have a look, we moved states when the first one didn't work out! I am so glad that we didn't go back then.

Its not easy or straight forward - look at why you came, what you've got and how you feel. Try not to judge yourself too hard for feeling overwhelmed by how hard it is, just get your focus back and go for what's right for you.

T
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

It takes time and sometimes a lot of money to get setlled! Took me 18 months to get a decent job I feel happy in.... I reckon most people take two years to know if theyve made the right decision good luck!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:02 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried any of the tutoring centres? thinking here along the lines of Kumon, Kip McGrath - not sure if you'll need Ozzie quals to work for them thou'. Failing that could you do your own home based tutoring?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by lisaroo
it takes at least a year to 18 mnths to settle,and loads of people on this forum to meet up with, i wish i had known myself as me and oh are only 30 so would have loved to meet up with some people, deffo next time..
Thats not completely true...i know people who have been here 10 years and still have not settled and want to go home.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:25 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisaroo
it takes at least a year to 18 mnths to settle,
Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
It takes time and sometimes a lot of money to get setlled! Took me 18 months to get a decent job I feel happy in.... I reckon most people take two years to know if theyve made the right decision good luck!
Agree with both of these comments.
It's a big move and a big transition. You need to give it at least 18 months to 2 years to adapt before you really can know if it is the right choice for you.

Stick with it and best of luck !
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

From what I've seen on here I think you really need to try and give it at least 18 month to 2 years. This seems to be a good amount of time to decide whether its right for you or not.

Good luck.