Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is 50 too old to learn hairdressing?

Is 50 too old to learn hairdressing?

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:13 am
Just Joined

bleep23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is 50 too old to learn hairdressing?

Hi everyone. This is a great site. Have been following this site for quite some time reading all the postings here. Like most of you guys, I am looking forward into migrating over to Australia since both of my children are settling down there after their studies in the university. But I do not want to burden them financially. I am a qualified Beautician and Aromatherapist. But having these qualifications does not entitle me to apply for a job there which could later lead to a PR. And so since I have briefly been an apprentice in hairdressing long time ago, I am thinking of getting a Certificate 3 in hairdressing in Australia into hopping that I might get employed in this field plus working as Beautician/Aromatherapist there. But the question is am I too old to learn this trade? Will the TAFE accept me into their program? Has anyone been through this situation before? Would really appreciate any comments regarding this embarassing fix I am in.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is 50 too old to learn hairdressing?

Your never to old to learn and cant see why you can not do it.

Only thing is you would need to check about visa for over 50s. As its not so easy once you turn 45.

Gems
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:15 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You're never too old to change careers or study. However getting a permanent visa may be an issue since you are over 45. I suggest talking to a migration agent before you spend a lot of money going down that route.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

Since u are over 45,your best chance is through sponsorship(might b your only route actually) on a 457 or the like,however im sure u have 2 fully qualified etc. before u get there!..unless im reading your post wrong
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:16 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by noggin
Since u are over 45,your best chance is through sponsorship(might b your only route actually) on a 457 or the like,however im sure u have 2 fully qualified etc. before u get there!..unless im reading your post wrong
Even if the poster gets sponsorship, say the 457, it is only a temporary visa. If the poster then wanted to apply for the 175 permanent visa there is an age limit of 45. I imagine the ultimate goal would be to stay in the country permanently.

I'm not sure if there is a permanent visa for sponsorship that does not have an age limit. Perhaps someone else would know.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

All general skilled have the 45yrs age limit - no exceptions made.
Employer sponsored (RSMS and ENS) also have that limit but can apply for a waiver of that in certain circumstances. Think they have to prove they can't find anyone suitable younger - might not be so easy to do that in hairdressing!

Not sure of the situation re family visas - may be a route there as OP kids are settling there.

Have a good read of www.immi.gov.au
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Sue _ Mo will become famous soon enough

Hi coming from having our own hairdressers (my husband a hairdresser - or was!!) One problem you will probably encounter is that to be an apprentice the employer will still need to pay you a wage for your age and not for your experience, so many hairdressers are not willing to do this.
We did get out of the industry 3 years ago so it will be worth while checking it out, but from our experience this was the case and it was by the wage line ruling that the mature apprentice had to be paid that way which can be a burden on the business.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

if both your children will be moving there what about a parent visa?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:56 am
Just Joined

bleep23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
if both your children will be moving there what about a parent visa?
Thank you for all the replies. Really appreciate it. Yes, I have considered re Parents Visa but since it is going to cost a bomb and also the long, long wait, I would rather spend the $$ to learn Hairdressing since it is in the skill in demand list. It would cost me about $10,000 and I have the benefit of acquiring an extra skill whereby I can be independent financially when I join them. Don't know if this is a wise idea
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:56 am

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

You're never too old to do anything - get your butt out there!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bleep23
Thank you for all the replies. Really appreciate it. Yes, I have considered re Parents Visa but since it is going to cost a bomb and also the long, long wait, I would rather spend the $$ to learn Hairdressing since it is in the skill in demand list. It would cost me about $10,000 and I have the benefit of acquiring an extra skill whereby I can be independent financially when I join them. Don't know if this is a wise idea
You would sill have to face the reality that it is extremely difficult to get a PR visa over the age of 45 regardless of what skills you have.

A contributory parent visa only takes 18 months or so if you are eligible.

G
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
You would sill have to face the reality that it is extremely difficult to get a PR visa over the age of 45 regardless of what skills you have.
Agreed and you also have to think of the age you will be when you complete your training. Also for some skilled visa's you have to have worked in that profession for a certain length of time and have completed a certain amount of hours training.

Maybe train to be a hairdresser anyway but apply under parent visa and that way when you get there you can still work as its very unlikely you'll be able to get a PR Skilled Visa.

Best Of Luck - Hope you get there one way or another !
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bleep23

To get the skilled visa after studying in Oz you HAVE to be under 45 AND have to have studied for TWO years, so I doubt it would only cost you $10k, as that is the cheapest I have seen per YEAR. Also, you could only work 20 hours a week, and have to fit in 900 hours of work experiance.
BUT all these things are irrelevent as you are over 45 so you would not get that visa.
Go for the parent visa, it is your only option. Good luck.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at these options:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...nt-outside.htm

As long as your children have PR then you should be eligible for one of these. You'll see there is temp visa which can also then lead on to a PR - this may be a quicker option?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.