Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 day rule for flying pets to UK

5 day rule for flying pets to UK

Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 day rule for flying pets to UK

Another thing that escaped me in the mad rush to get everything done.

Sort of escaped me, that is - I thought that the pet owner had to be in the UK at least 5 days before their pet arrived, and no later than 5 days after.

Since Scouse's ticket is booked for 10 days prior to our dog arriving, I thought we were covered. But the rule actually states that the owner must arrive 5 days or less before the pet, and no more that 5 days after.

That leaves me, so rather than give myself a leisurely week to tie up loose ends here, I'm now booked to fly out on the same day our house is scheduled for settlement/completion.

If settlement's delayed, I'm up shite creek without a paddle
Old Oct 6th 2015, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 day rule for flying pets to UK

You can arrange for a lawyer to complete for you. You don't need to be in the country.
Seems a weird rule!

Or can you alter the dogs flight?
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
You can arrange for a lawyer to complete for you. You don't need to be in the country.
Seems a weird rule!

Or can you alter the dogs flight?
Thanks rammygirl, I'll let the settlement agent know what's going on today and hopefully that'll be ok. My name's not on the title deeds to the house but I have power of attorney.

I thought it was a bit of a weird rule too! I can understand that they need to be sure that the pet owner will be around to take responsibility for it, but as one owner (me) is sending him, and one (scouse) will be collecting, I thought it'd be fine. Our vet tried to explain it to me but he lost me about 1,000 words in He did say that some UK airport officials are a bit more lenient, but Manchester is really strict.

Not much wriggle room with Murphy-dog's flight, I'll just have to suck it up.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks rammygirl, I'll let the settlement agent know what's going on today and hopefully that'll be ok. My name's not on the title deeds to the house but I have power of attorney. I thought it was a bit of a weird rule too! I can understand that they need to be sure that the pet owner will be around to take responsibility for it, but as one owner (me) is sending him, and one (scouse) will be collecting, I thought it'd be fine. Our vet tried to explain it to me but he lost me about 1,000 words in He did say that some UK airport officials are a bit more lenient, but Manchester is really strict. Not much wriggle room with Murphy-dog's flight, I'll just have to suck it up.
Hi
We picked our pet up from Manchester via Perth , we had been in the UK 6 weeks before she arrived with no permanent address (we were staying with my Dad for the first few weeks) we picked her up from one of the "hangers" near to the airport and it was a really quick procedure, I just showed the freight papers and then we were walked over to her crate and then off home in the car. I thought it would take ages but it was all over within 5 mins. Things might of changed since 2010 though but at no time did our Vet or Kennels in Aus who were freighting our pet mentioned about being in the country at a certain point. Good luck with everything, when we picked our pet up from the Airport it just seemed to make everything feel like a family again.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 8:59 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi
We picked our pet up from Manchester via Perth , we had been in the UK 6 weeks before she arrived with no permanent address (we were staying with my Dad for the first few weeks) we picked her up from one of the "hangers" near to the airport and it was a really quick procedure, I just showed the freight papers and then we were walked over to her crate and then off home in the car. I thought it would take ages but it was all over within 5 mins. Things might of changed since 2010 though but at no time did our Vet or Kennels in Aus who were freighting our pet mentioned about being in the country at a certain point. Good luck with everything, when we picked our pet up from the Airport it just seemed to make everything feel like a family again.
I think the rules changed at the end of last year Brits, they're here if you want to have a squiz https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

It does sound like you had a very quick and easy process to pick yours up, and I really know what you mean about pets making a family How did your pet seem after the long haul flights?
Old Oct 9th 2015, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I think the rules changed at the end of last year Brits, they're here if you want to have a squiz https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview It does sound like you had a very quick and easy process to pick yours up, and I really know what you mean about pets making a family How did your pet seem after the long haul flights?
I think she was just so happy to see us that even if she were jet lagged etc she certainly did not show it lol, she is wonderful and enjoys being off the lead in the fields around where we live which was a bit strange for her at first as in Perth I never let her do that (off the lead) as I did not want her running into the Bush in case anything bit her and instead of the beach we visit one of the many reservoirs near to where we live so she gets her "swim fix" then and she just loves absolutely loves playing in the snow. Looks like we were lucky to have brought her over when we did. Good luck with everything
Old Oct 10th 2015, 1:08 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by brits1
I think she was just so happy to see us that even if she were jet lagged etc she certainly did not show it lol, she is wonderful and enjoys being off the lead in the fields around where we live which was a bit strange for her at first as in Perth I never let her do that (off the lead) as I did not want her running into the Bush in case anything bit her and instead of the beach we visit one of the many reservoirs near to where we live so she gets her "swim fix" then and she just loves absolutely loves playing in the snow. Looks like we were lucky to have brought her over when we did. Good luck with everything
Bless her, she sounds like a happy girl. Great to hear that she didn't show any ill-effects and enjoys the freedom of being off the lead. I don't blame you for keeping her on it in Perth if you were near bush, especially around this time of the year when all the snakes are waking up from their winter hibernation

I'm looking forward to seeing how our old golden retriever likes the snow - or not! He's 10 years old and his favourite things are food, cuddles, food, sleeping, food, slow walks, food and food. Typical goldie

Thanks for your good wishes and for sharing your experiences, Brits