Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

489 visa holders in Australia (QUEENSLAND) share their experience of life condition

489 visa holders in Australia (QUEENSLAND) share their experience of life condition

Old Sep 14th 2016, 10:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 489 visa holders in Australia (QUEENSLAND) share their experience of life conditi

Originally Posted by Mahdi.ka.82
Unfortunately you are right, I have to improve my english ability before boarding the plane. The first reason for participating in this forum was that.
Who does know about TAFE courses in Au? Is this important to gain one of their certification or finding related job without that would be possible?
Like Bermuda says, you should be looking for work, not TAFE. If you can do some English courses at home before you come that would probably be best. Keep posting here to help your written abilities.

Tell us a little about yourself and your family. Are you married? Children? What area do you plan to live in? These are good conversational types of topics that people will ask you about when you arrive in Australia. It's good practice to get some conversational English going.
Originally Posted by Steve G

I think the same could be said for quite a few on here, some of whom are English!
Pretty cheeky of that avatar to be winking at me. Usually I get dinner and a movie first.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Mahdi.ka.82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 489 visa holders in Australia (QUEENSLAND) share their experience of life conditi

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You have a skilled migrant visa, so you don't need to go to college. When you arrive you should be focusing on looking for work not going to college. Without work you will never progress onto the permanent visa.
You mentioned to a good point, exactly the immigration circumstances will necessitate me to work at least part time, but which is omitted to mention is that I have 4 years to find full time job, I supposed it might be better to enroll in some courses for first 2 years and then try to find a lucrative one if I can.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 11:50 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned to a good point, exactly the immigration circumstances will necessitate me to work at least part time, but which is omitted to mention is that I have 4 years to find full time job, I supposed it might be better to enroll in some courses for first 2 years and then try to find a lucrative one if I can.
Sorry but this is exactly why you need to practice "chit chat". No one talks like this and for you to secure a job in an area where jobs are scarce you need to be fluent, sorry.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teza
Sorry but this is exactly why you need to practice "chit chat". No one talks like this and for you to secure a job in an area where jobs are scarce you need to be fluent, sorry.
I am really disappointed by such a opinion about my english. People, is my english weak as twice sorry as he wrote?
Old Sep 14th 2016, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs down Re: 489 visa holders in Australia (QUEENSLAND) share their experience of life conditi

Originally Posted by Dorothy

Pretty cheeky of that avatar to be winking at me. Usually I get dinner and a movie first.
Mmmmm! This from the lady showing us her nice beaver!
Old Sep 14th 2016, 1:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I am really disappointed by such a opinion about my english. People, is my english weak as twice sorry as he wrote?
Yes it is. For example, I will rewrite your sentence in proper grammar.

"I am really disappointed by your opinion of my English. Is it really as poor as others say?"
Old Sep 14th 2016, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Old Sep 14th 2016, 6:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Don't run away! People are really just trying to help you be prepared for Australia The more you chat with people whose first language is English, the better your own skills will become.

I understand from your posts that you are a bit worried about what you will find and how you'll manage in Australia. As has been suggested by other posters, there's not really much you can do to change anything. Emigrating anywhere is a bit of a gamble, some people enjoy their new life and others find that it's not for them and they return home. It really just depends on whether you're prepared to take that gamble or not.

Regarding jobs, you are protected by Australian laws that require employers to pay you at least a certain sum of money (called the 'minimum wage'). Employers are also required by law to provide you with safe working conditions.

You are far better off renting accommodation at first, rather than buying a home. You may decide that you don't want to stay in your regional area once you've finished your required time there, and buying and selling homes is expensive.

If you have any other specific questions, just ask and someone will try to help you.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

I have never give up since my childhood so far. When I started to provide the immigration necessities, everything was frustrating. I took a vow with myself and my little son to alter our future prospective. 2 years of my life was spent to prepare the credentials and required Ielts band score etc. After that I realized that my ANZSCO code was suspended and had to wait until regional sponsors changed the occupation lists and suddenly Queensland opened the door unexpectedly, it took 8 months.
Now, after a while I am waiting to someone grant my visa and let me to settle my family in an advanced country.
If I have to improve my English abilities I will do, if I am supposed to enroll in some courses to flaunt my power and competencies I will do.
Thank you everyone for considering my inquiries and help me to straighten my weaknesses unconditionally.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Mahdi, One thing to understand about Brits and Australians is banter, comments that have been mentioned are not really meant to be taken to heart.

If you visit say New York, they are very brash and in your face. If you get upset, then they do not care but if you give back with banter there attitude changes towards you.

As for your English, do you not have to pass the IELTS test before you can get a visa? As English is not your first language it can be difficult to write what you are thinking. You are still doing a good job, just keep practicing.

As I was reading this thread again, thought I would add to my post. In my suburb, the local church has English speaking sessions once or twice a week so that people can meet up and have conversationally chats to improve there English. Guess this is something most suburbs would offer, also look at meetup.com as they may have groups that do something similar.

Last edited by evets; Sep 15th 2016 at 4:47 am. Reason: More Info.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It is hard to find work in regional areas, I really would not be wasting the first two years at college. The sooner you can get your one year of work done, the sooner you can apply for the permanent visa which will then mean you can work anywhere.

You make a good attempt at English, but I would presume you have only learnt it in class but never needed to use it. So there is a lot of room for improvement. Try to use it more in everyday life, if you know any native speakers try to talk to them in English. If you don't know any native English speakers, then watch TV shows in English, use the forum, get some books.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Yes
I passed the IELTS exam and caught 7. Actually now I find chatting with native people really difficult and I am sure it would be one of my tough challenges after landing the plane.
Loosing my confidence and practicing to rebuild that are the main events that I prefer to happen now, in my home, rather than after immigration and in front of foreign people, face to face.
I will continue practicing with you and never give up. If you don't mind, please rewrite the sentences which I made them wrong.

Last edited by Mahdi.ka.82; Sep 15th 2016 at 5:08 am.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It is hard to find work in regional areas, I really would not be wasting the first two years at college. The sooner you can get your one year of work done, the sooner you can apply for the permanent visa which will then mean you can work anywhere.

You make a good attempt at English, but I would presume you have only learnt it in class but never needed to use it. So there is a lot of room for improvement. Try to use it more in everyday life, if you know any native speakers try to talk to them in English. If you don't know any native English speakers, then watch TV shows in English, use the forum, get some books.
Have you experienced that situation as same as mine?
Which decision did you make at that time? Where did you settle in time of arriving?
Old Sep 15th 2016, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Have you experienced that situation as same as mine?
Which decision did you make at that time? Where did you settle in time of arriving?
No, I arrived on a permanent visa. However I have been on the forum for seven years and I know the issues with the 489 visa from other posters. I have also lived in Australia and know that it can be hard to find work in regional areas.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 5:30 am
Just Joined

If every thing work out, my final destination would be Europe, living there has always been one of my long standing dreams.
I would like to know that why British people make such a decision and move to Au?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.