Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457s will have to pay for their kids education in WA.....

457s will have to pay for their kids education in WA.....

Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457s will have to pay for their kids education in WA.....

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
If a company genuinely needs 457 holders, then they and the prospective employee can allow for the cost of public school fees in pay negotiations.
I was going to say something similar, and that would work for future 457 holders. Don't know if it would work for people already here though, as the company would be paying more than the original employment contract specified.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:22 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

But the point being made is that 457 visa holders pay Aussie Tax so why shouldn't they receive free schooling for their kids?

Fair comment if they pay Aussie Tax I reckon.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
But the point being made is that 457 visa holders pay Aussie Tax so why shouldn't they receive free schooling for their kids?

Absolutely, they pay exactly the same as someone with a PR visa and indeed citizens. It costs no more to educate a child on a 457 visa than it does any other and it is just an act to get more money into the state government coffers.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:11 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

NSW has required those on a 457 to pay school fees for years WAustralia is just copying them.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

That is one of the points made in the thread, yes, but it's not the only aspect being discussed!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:31 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That is one of the points made in the thread, yes, but it's not the only aspect being discussed!
no one has said this is the only issue with a 457 visa

My point was in relation to the current discussion not the whole thread.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:37 pm
Concierge

no one has said this is the only issue with a 457 visa

My point was in relation to the current discussion not the whole thread.

I think I'll leave it there. Enjoy!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Negotiate the extra required into the salary, and then there would be no real effect on take home pay. If the company genuinely needs a 457 to fill a short-term requirement, then it shouldn't be an issue.

The alternative is for the government to require the sponsoring company to pay direct to the Dept of Education for each child in public schools. Makes no difference either way.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:01 pm

Negotiate the extra required into the salary, and then there would be no real effect on take home pay. If the company genuinely needs a 457 to fill a short-term requirement, then it shouldn't be an issue.
but that's not the point being made here mate. Why should a 457 visa holder or their company pay extra for schooling when they already contribute in paying tax to cover it?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The alternative is for the government to require the sponsoring company to pay direct to the Dept of Education for each child in public schools. Makes no difference either way.
Maybe that would work fior the future, though it doesn't seem fair that effectively school fees are being paid twice.
Its those already here that I feel for. Lots of people have asked over the years about school fees, and NSW/ACT are the only ones currently charging. Anyone who moved here in good faith may now be seriously out of pocket.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

bikeframed will become famous soon enough

What is the real cost of education in WA? I'd venture to say it is a lot higher than $4,000/year. 457 Visa holders are only in the country on a temporary basis. When they leave they will be taking their children, and their Australian subsidized education, with them. Those with PR visas are presumably going to stay, keeping the investment in their children’s education in the country.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

John Mc will become famous soon enoughJohn Mc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bikeframed
What is the real cost of education in WA? I'd venture to say it is a lot higher than $4,000/year. 457 Visa holders are only in the country on a temporary basis. When they leave they will be taking their children, and their Australian subsidized education, with them. Those with PR visas are presumably going to stay, keeping the investment in their children’s education in the country.
I pay a hell of a lot more than $4000 per year in tax I can assure you. Whether somebody is staying or not is irrelevent, paying for something twice over is my problem. All children in the world should be entitled to a free education in the country you are paying tax into. Targetting genuine 457 visa holders makes the government look great to the people that don't understand we are already paying the same as everyone else into the system. The difference is 457 visa holders can't get the same out of the system, no benefits to be had etc.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by John Mc
I pay a hell of a lot more than $4000 per year in tax I can assure you. Whether somebody is staying or not is irrelevent, paying for something twice over is my problem. All children in the world should be entitled to a free education in the country you are paying tax into. Targetting genuine 457 visa holders makes the government look great to the people that don't understand we are already paying the same as everyone else into the system. The difference is 457 visa holders can't get the same out of the system, no benefits to be had etc.
Agree this is wrong - I wonder why Aus thinks it's OK to do this to the very skilled people they require to bring in
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:16 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure people can accurately claim they pay 'twice'.

I mean, childless people also pay the same amount of tax (in fact probably more due to less access to tax breaks) and fund other people's kids education. Before I get lynched, I have no issue with that, it's part of living in a society - but as bikeframed mentions that investment in society is in people who will shortly leave...or so their visa suggests.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm not sure people can accurately claim they pay 'twice'.

I mean, childless people also pay the same amount of tax (in fact probably more due to less access to tax breaks) and fund other people's kids education. Before I get lynched, I have no issue with that, it's part of living in a society - ...
That was my first thought as a childless person...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.