Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 visa scrapped

457 visa scrapped

Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa scrapped

Originally Posted by geoff52
Glad you did not come to Canada, the country is better off because of it.
I hope you will remain where you are, I am sure they deserve you.
Touchy - just a bit
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GarryP
Step back from it a bit, look at the painting rather than the brushwork.

When you had "stop the boats" it became fairly obvious that the way it was implemented and structured was mostly about keeping poor brown people out. At the same time there were people arriving by air that were claiming asylum, etc. that weren't stopped at all. And they certainly weren't worried about their health or happiness of the asylum seekers ....

Now, this particular piece of dog whistle politics needs to be seen in the context of Brexit and Trump's failed EOs. It's about 'keeping out the other' and a push to 'put up walls'. Why? Because the voting public have been taught to fear the immigrant, blame them for anything going wrong. And those immigrants in the minds eye of the public are brown skinned and 'different'.

The drive behind this isn't about jobs, it's about the racism that's been engendered in the public as someone to blame for what are actually failures of the politicians. It's about fear, not reality (which would be much more focused on corporate globalisation).
So all these visas were granted to brown people were they? If no then you're on a sticky wicket at best, if yes then you old son are stereotyping brown people . Or is this a straw brown man? The only issue I have with this is the finishing line being put back for people already running the race.
Attached Thumbnails 457 visa scrapped-457.jpg  
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

When I look at the 457's I work with, none were actually sourced on the open market. They were all sourced within the company and moved to Australia on a 457 visa.

Why? It took less time (time = money) and cost less moving someone internally than it did finding a local, paying agents, etc.

Do they have any special skills they couldn't find locally? No.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Step back from it a bit, look at the painting rather than the brushwork.

When you had "stop the boats" it became fairly obvious that the way it was implemented and structured was mostly about keeping poor brown people out. At the same time there were people arriving by air that were claiming asylum, etc. that weren't stopped at all. And they certainly weren't worried about their health or happiness of the asylum seekers ....

Now, this particular piece of dog whistle politics needs to be seen in the context of Brexit and Trump's failed EOs. It's about 'keeping out the other' and a push to 'put up walls'. Why? Because the voting public have been taught to fear the immigrant, blame them for anything going wrong. And those immigrants in the minds eye of the public are brown skinned and 'different'.

The drive behind this isn't about jobs, it's about the racism that's been engendered in the public as someone to blame for what are actually failures of the politicians. It's about fear, not reality (which would be much more focused on corporate globalisation).
Put your racist stick down for a minute and answer this.

Would you honestly go back to the old way of people smugglers and deaths at sea?

Simple yes or no will do and if yes a brief explanation will be of interest.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
So all these visas were granted to brown people were they?
Sigh

Read the first line again.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:12 am
Account Closed

Sigh

Read the first line again.
Stop sighing for god's sake, or is the .... oh hang on the paint's brown isn't it, I got ya now. Racism has no part in this, no race is being discriminated against he's just showing his supporters that he's 'doing something' , 'because we can' is the only answer he needs to give, and he's right, his house his rules. Just stop

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Apr 21st 2017 at 4:19 am.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:34 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Stop sighing for god's sake
I'll stop sighing when people stop bullshitting and building strawmen.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If that's the case then you need to stop looking in the mirror
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:46 am
Account Closed

The biggest source of bullshit is unfortunately you mate. No-one is saying this news is great, from what I can see pretty far from it, but racist it isn't. It's not my fault you you have the word racist etched into your glasses.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The biggest source of bullshit is unfortunately you mate. No-one is saying this news is great, from what I can see pretty far from it, but racist it isn't. It's not my fault you you have the word racist etched into your glasses.
I am. I think its great.

The 457's visa scheme is a "bullshitting" rort taken advantage of by both employers and PR seekers. It's bullshittered the Australian public for too long.

Long overdue tinkering if you ask me. Lets hope the tinkering is enough to fulfill its intended purpose.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:58 am
Account Closed

Here Garry is there any chance you can reply in the same vein as usual, I've found a wonderful quote from a hero of mine that is very applicable
Old Apr 21st 2017, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

So all these visas were granted to brown people were they? If no then you're on a sticky wicket at best, if yes then you old son are stereotyping brown people . Or is this a straw brown man? The only issue I have with this is the finishing line being put back for people already running the race.
For accuracy, the numbers of 457 Primary Applicants, from the top 15 countries in 2015/16, were:

19,620 From India, China, Philippines, Japan, Korea, Nepal and Malaysia
16,720 From UK, USA, Ireland, France, Italy, Canada and Germany
660 From South Africa

The top nominated occupation was: Cook.

From: BR0008 Subclass 457 quarterly report | 30 June 2016

The 2 new visas to replace the 457 will still allow people in, but for fewer occupation groups.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCD......
For accuracy, the numbers of 457 Primary Applicants, from the top 15 countries in 2015/16, were:

19,620 From India, China, Philippines, Japan, Korea, Nepal and Malaysia
16,720 From UK, USA, Ireland, France, Italy, Canada and Germany
660 From South Africa

The top nominated occupation was: Cook.

From: BR0008 Subclass 457 quarterly report | 30 June 2016

The 2 new visas to replace the 457 will still allow people in, but for fewer occupation groups.
I thought it was "That HR Bitch"
Old Apr 21st 2017, 6:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
Glad you did not come to Canada, the country is better off because of it.
I hope you will remain where you are, I am sure they deserve you.
Geoff, there's no need for comments like that, especially to a new poster that you presumably know nothing about.