Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Potential for work as a surveyor.

Potential for work as a surveyor.

Old Apr 19th 2017, 10:26 am
Just Joined

ACH1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential for work as a surveyor.

Hello everyone,

After spending the last 14 years studying and working as a land surveyor my family and I have made the decision to start looking in to the possibility of moving to Australia.

I have already worked in various locations over the world but after spending the past 5 years working in oil and gas, the idea of moving to Australia to settle with my young family (girl and boy aged 1 and 2), giving my partner and I a better quality of life as well as the best possible start for our children. Not that living in Scotland is bad but being away from my family for weeks and sometimes months due to work is difficult.

I was directed here by my partners brother who has recently gained citizenship.

If any of you have any advice on how to proceed in terms of research it would certainly make trawling through the mountains of information available.

Is sponsorship a possibility? Are there other avenues to go down? I go looking for jobs and I see a lot but there isn't any indication of whether or not they are accepting applicants from overseas. Perhaps a jobsite That caters with work through sponsorship?

Well done if you manage to get through all of this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential for work as a surveyor.

Well, you can pick your moment. The entire system has this week being thrown upside down by massive changes announced to the process.

The first step is LOTS of reading through border.gov.au

Surveyors generally are not as well used and due to the mining down turn a significant number have been made redundant.

I would though recomend you speak to a good registered migration agent about visas, though be aware many people going via employer sponsored will now have to leave the country at the end of 4 years.

Though, I would ask what you think is better? By the way, I have moved from Australia to Scotland.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

ACH1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Purely work and lifestyle related. I have worked in oil and gas for a number of years now and have no interest in going in to oil and gas or mining out there.

From what I read it is extremely difficult to get in to mining survey jobs but I am not interested regardless.

Construction, architecture and land survey are my main targets.

I am from Scotland and I love it with all my heart but I will be leaving one way or another. I have worked all over but I want to settle somewhere warmer with better opportunities. Australia is one of a few places I am looking.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I have a bit of reading ahead of me!!!
Old Apr 19th 2017, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACH1985
Purely work and lifestyle related. I have worked in oil and gas for a number of years now and have no interest in going in to oil and gas or mining out there.

From what I read it is extremely difficult to get in to mining survey jobs but I am not interested regardless.

Construction, architecture and land survey are my main targets.

I am from Scotland and I love it with all my heart but I will be leaving one way or another. I have worked all over but I want to settle somewhere warmer with better opportunities. Australia is one of a few places I am looking.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I have a bit of reading ahead of me!!!
If construction, architecture and land survey are your main targets then east coast is busy with lots of infrastructure work.

Search for your job type then apply. Scatter your interest. Someone may pick you up and sponsor.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the best generic site to search for jobs
https://www.seek.com.au/