Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 visa scrapped

457 visa scrapped

Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa scrapped

Originally Posted by GarryP

Sigh.

Once again, you haven't got within 100 miles of even answering the facts presented. Hell, you are heading away from even understanding it, fingers in ears.

This was a political act by Trunbull, designed to appeal to the anti-immigrant mouth breathers of his party after seeing it work so well in the US and UK. And, of course, 457 visa holders can't vote.

Strategically it's a misstep, since getting really skilled types will help as automation bites the arse out of rote jobs. A microbiologist, going forward, is going to be more employable than an accountant. And if you want the average standard of living to not collapse, you are going to need a big rebalancing.
I am the one sighing. You produced no facts. Just left wing speculation and propaganda. Is that the best opposition you have. Calling it racist and inline with Trump and Brexit. If its a nice deflection from the housing affordability topic so be it, that's politics, get over it.

The bottom line is this.

1. 457's have been abused in the past for their emotional desire to be in Australia and move to PR. Their salary and conditions have suffered as a result. (wow I feel so left wing)
2. The ease of which a 457 can be obtained has allowed employers to use migration as a selling point to attract cheaper foreign workers.
3. Using the above employers have been able to put foreign workers first before locals.

The changes reduce the bad points of the above while still allowing employers to temporarily employ from abroad where there is a skills shortage. Simple.

And whilst you are on occupations (perhaps you should stop talking about individual occupations when you got the plumber and the chef so wrong) accountants come in all shapes an sizes. Your everyday tax accountant might have their days numbered, but your reporting accountant, the guy who explains all those tricky, cost, profit, loss, numbers to the board in simple, plain easy to understand language won't. Robots don't know how to articulate. Another failed attempt at the automation agenda.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
No, the new regs state that if your occupation is only eligible for a 2 year 457, then you are only eligible for two of them. After which there are no visa options.

Do you have the offical regs to hand? From Mal T's speech yesterday he said there is both a 2 year and 4 year visa. He also said the path to permanent residency is still open.

How did Human Resource Advisers top the list of 457's granted. Lets hope they remove that. We don't need any more of those wastes of space. ...... globally
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Do you have the offical regs to hand? From Mal T's speech yesterday he said there is both a 2 year and 4 year visa. He also said the path to permanent residency is still open.

How did Human Resource Advisers top the list of 457's granted. Lets hope they remove that. We don't need any more of those wastes of space. ...... globally
And accountants - Australia is swarming with them
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And accountants - Australia is swarming with them
Which type? Like doctors there's many breeds and specialties.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Which type? Like doctors there's many breeds and specialties.
All of 'em
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

This was a political act by Trunbull, designed to appeal to the anti-immigrant mouth breathers of his party after seeing it work so well in the US and UK. And, of course, 457 visa holders can't vote.
You know, I do wonder if there is a reporter hanging round here, picking up leads. This is the second time now I've point out what's going on only to have the press pick up the same direction shortly afterwards.

Racism doesn't actually win elections in Australia, Malcolm

I'll tell you something else interesting - the murdoch rags have dropped talking about it pretty sharpish, without going into any of the details, consequences, or drivers. Interesting ...
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

You know, I do wonder if there is a reporter hanging round here, picking up leads. This is the second time now I've point out what's going on only to have the press pick up the same direction shortly afterwards.

I'll tell you something else interesting - the murdoch rags have dropped talking about it pretty sharpish, without going into any of the details, consequences, or drivers. Interesting ...
You're their go to guy Garry
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hows that agenda of yours going? Not many buyers.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paullehh
Do we have any solid info of skills they will still allow in just the same?
I was planning on Melbourne as a Network engineer. Network Engineers were on the list of skills to be given visas without Jobs or sponsership. ( i'm v new to all this and don't recall the category it fell in, just that it was the top one)

Also just joined forum on the back of all this happening. Hi all
IT suffers as a result of 457s. Too many Indians whose English is simply not good enough to handle the complexity IT presents.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
IT suffers as a result of 457s. Too many Indians whose English is simply not good enough to handle the complexity IT presents.
Well thankfully they are upping the English test for the new visa. That should not be a problem moving forward.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Paullehh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
So in my particular situation applying as a Network Engineer is this working out in my favour?
I was looking at Canada too as the much colder and miserable alternate option. It seems in 2015 they removed IT positions from the list as they are just not needed. Is the situation in Melbourne different? That is my ideal destination.
Any advice or points in the right direction would be much appreciated. I fear networking is far easier to understand than the god damn Visa process.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So in my particular situation applying as a Network Engineer is this working out in my favour?
I was looking at Canada too as the much colder and miserable alternate option. It seems in 2015 they removed IT positions from the list as they are just not needed. Is the situation in Melbourne different? That is my ideal destination.
Any advice or points in the right direction would be much appreciated. I fear networking is far easier to understand than the god damn Visa process.
Hi, for updates and questions you're probably best heading over to the Australian Immigration, Visas and Citizenship part of the forum http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...-australia-32/ We have immigration agents posting there, and the discussion tends to stay more focused on the issues.

It's still very early days for this (pending) legislation, and the lack of detail is causing a lot of concern.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't going to read this, as I assumed it was bollocks, but I relented, and sure enough it was. What the hell has racism got to do with anything on this subject? Also, 'patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel' flip that coin over and you'll find embossed on the other side 'accusations of racism are the last refuge of a clueless nitwit who has no argument'
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Was at the local drinking hole with a couple of friends. One of them mentioned how much of a shock to the system this entire week had been, with one dream destination after another tightening up immigration. He had plans to apply to Australia as an accountant, but had sat on his arse a little too long, and then, this had to happen. Went on and on about how stupid and short-sighted this was, and how it would affect the Australian economy and exacerbate the skill shortage in the future. Yes, he's a bit of a typical whinging Pom.

I took a step back and had to suppress a chuckle, or two, or three.

For a minute there, I thought I was listening to a Pole complaining about Brexit.

Ain't nearly as funny when the shoe's on the other foot, mate.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

dasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, Canada immigration has a list of occupations but for classification only. A person of any occupation can apply for PR as long as he has enough points to get an invitation.

Last edited by dasalcedo; Apr 20th 2017 at 11:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.