Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Health Insurance - suggestions/help needed!

457 Health Insurance - suggestions/help needed!

Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Health Insurance - suggestions/help needed!

Originally Posted by JAJ
All depends on the terms of the agreement signed between Australia and the other country - they do vary.
In this case its a UK resident who has been enrolled with Medicare in the past - different visa though, and as the other visa is no longer valid, I'm assuming the original Medicare entitlement will have lapsed.
I wonder now if that still counts as being enrolled though - I guess I'm now getting into the realms of stuff only Medicare might be able to answer (if I get the right person there!!). Is it a question of "once enrolled, always enrolled" as long as you are in AUstralia on a valid visa?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:16 am
Just Joined

YYC_to_BNE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In this case its a UK resident who has been enrolled with Medicare in the past - different visa though, and as the other visa is no longer valid, I'm assuming the original Medicare entitlement will have lapsed.
I wonder now if that still counts as being enrolled though - I guess I'm now getting into the realms of stuff only Medicare might be able to answer (if I get the right person there!!). Is it a question of "once enrolled, always enrolled" as long as you are in AUstralia on a valid visa?
I think from the previous posts I have a general sense, but just to confirm. I am a UK citizen, I have a UK passport, but I have been living in Canada for the past 30 years, does that mean that I am not eligible for the reciprocal coverage? and if I am making more than the levy cut off, does that mean that I want private health care anyway? Does it matter at all if I am eligible for the recip. coverage?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

When we enrolled with Medicare agreement card they just looked at UK Passport.
Hubbies even had a current visa for another country in it, so we were more than a little nervous As we had been living abroad.

The woman in Perth Medicare office didnt mention it.
We all got the agreement card no problem.

Gems
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:28 am
Just Joined

YYC_to_BNE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gems
When we enrolled with Medicare agreement card they just looked at UK Passport.
Hubbies even had a current visa for another country in it, so we were more than a little nervous As we had been living abroad.

The woman in Perth Medicare office didnt mention it.
We all got the agreement card no problem.

Gems
Thanks for the info, I will try my luck, but I am right in thinking that because I will be making more than the 77K or whatever it is, I will be wanting private health care anyway? Is there still a benefit to getting the medicare?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYC_to_BNE
Thanks for the info, I will try my luck, but I am right in thinking that because I will be making more than the 77K or whatever it is, I will be wanting private health care anyway? Is there still a benefit to getting the medicare?
If you have been living in Canada for 30 years then even if you are a British citizen (presumably - also a Canadian citizen?) you are NOT eligible for reciprocal Medicare, as far as I know.

It is true that many Medicare staff don't understand their own rules and just go on passport, but that does not make it right.

You also should consider that reciprocal Medicare coverage is limited in scope and then you have the problem of being liable to pay the Medicare levy (1.5% of income) plus a further 1% if the surcharge applies. In order to claim exemption, you need a certificate of non-eligibility for Medicare.

If you will be on a 457, then why is your employer not providing full medical coverage?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:51 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you have been living in Canada for 30 years then even if you are a British citizen (presumably - also a Canadian citizen?) you are NOT eligible for reciprocal Medicare, as far as I know.

It is true that many Medicare staff don't understand their own rules and just go on passport, but that does not make it right.

You also should consider that reciprocal Medicare coverage is limited in scope and then you have the problem of being liable to pay the Medicare levy (1.5% of income) plus a further 1% if the surcharge applies. In order to claim exemption, you need a certificate of non-eligibility for Medicare.

If you will be on a 457, then why is your employer not providing full medical coverage?
Because as of last year it is no longer a requirement for the sponsoring company to do so!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 2:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Because as of last year it is no longer a requirement for the sponsoring company to do so!
A responsible employer should provide it anyway.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 2:48 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A responsible employer should provide it anyway.
ha ha...JAJ...you are the one who always resorts to the letter of the law or the rules...yet this time you ignore them and go for the ethics and morality!!

The employer is responsible for many things, individual helath insurance is not always one of them unless it is a legislative requirement or part of your contract package.

The fact of the matter, as I am sure you normally appreciate, is that they are not required to provide health care. Thats it, no other complications!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:10 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by paddyo
ha ha...JAJ...you are the one who always resorts to the letter of the law or the rules...yet this time you ignore them and go for the ethics and morality!!

The employer is responsible for many things, individual helath insurance is not always one of them unless it is a legislative requirement or part of your contract package.

The fact of the matter, as I am sure you normally appreciate, is that they are not required to provide health care. Thats it, no other complications!
Nowhere did I say that an employer is required to provide health insurance. But it makes life difficult for employee if not provided.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 5:14 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by JAJ
Nowhere did I say that an employer is required to provide health insurance. But it makes life difficult for employee if not provided.
I was referring to your response to my post that it was not required, my point was that you are always black and white on here, sometimes I agree sometimes I don't and thats a good thing, in which you strayed from your normal party line approach!