Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Health Insurance - suggestions/help needed!

457 Health Insurance - suggestions/help needed!

Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Health Insurance - suggestions/help needed!

In our case the company took legal advice and the result was their laweyer interprated the regs as THEY had to supply health cover. So we got it free. Now i am with a different company and they supply it as standard to all staff.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:32 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
In our case the company took legal advice and the result was their laweyer interprated the regs as THEY had to supply health cover. So we got it free. Now i am with a different company and they supply it as standard to all staff.
When was this? When you say THEY, do you mean 'the company'? The DIAC rules clearly state that the onus is now on the Visa holder to provide medical cover. Good luck to you though if they ruled in your favour!!
As a slight aside, my company still provides cover for 457 holders as most of us are in senior positions and it counts as a recruitment and retention incentive.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

That was on our 1st 457 in May 2008, changed company in November 2008 and everyone gets health cover anyway, so not an issue
Old Jul 6th 2010, 7:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That was on our 1st 457 in May 2008, changed company in November 2008 and everyone gets health cover anyway, so not an issue
Rules have changed since then - I think it was the start of this year, the applicant has to supply proof of it now.

Originally Posted by paddyo
This is the crux of it to me and shows just how ridiculous DIAC is. If you are from a country that enables you to have Reciprocal Health Care and would get it upon arrival, then why do they insist on initial cover?? When we arrived in Australia on a 457, we had cover from our company. Our first day, literally!!!, we went to the beach and our boy fell down some huge steps at Maroubra Beach, we rushed him to the kids Hospital at Randwick and they were fine aboiut it all. All they needed was for me to show them a passport and it was fine, no medical insurance, no medicare, they were purely concerned with fixing the child, then sorting out the admin after.
The travel insurance sounds like a plan and I would investigate that option.
Thanks, as least I'm clear now that as long as you have the cover to get here then Medicare kicks in straight away (assuming the applicant is from a country with the reciprocal agreement of course) I'll try and find out about the travel insurance option, but if all else fails it sounds like the Health Insurance is only needed for a month or so, so just a case of picking a cheap company that can be easily cancelled!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:32 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

The rules changed August 09 IIRC
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This is the crux of it to me and shows just how ridiculous DIAC is. If you are from a country that enables you to have Reciprocal Health Care and would get it upon arrival,
Because it's not based on nationality and Medicare have to determine eligibility, not DIAC.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:30 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by JAJ
Because it's not based on nationality and Medicare have to determine eligibility, not DIAC.
I understand that, but there should be a simple addition to the form:
Are you eligible for Reciprocal Health Care Agreement Medicare?

Simple as that!!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 1:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that, but there should be a simple addition to the form:
Are you eligible for Reciprocal Health Care Agreement Medicare?
But it's not down to someone's opinion ... it's down to a Medicare assessment. Someone may think they're eligible when they are not.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But it's not down to someone's opinion ... it's down to a Medicare assessment. Someone may think they're eligible when they are not.
I agree with that.
When we first came, yonks ago, France did not have a reciprocal agreement, BUT the Medicare rules stated that you had to be a UK RESIDENT (not citizen) to be eligible. They first said I couldn't get it as I have a French passport but after a few chosen words, and showing them proof of residency in the UK for the previous 5 years, they agreed to register me.

This could go either way. If you're a UK citizen but resident in a country that does not have the agreement, you wouldn't be eligible.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:48 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by JAJ
Sorry, don't understand, I was not talking about opinions. If you are from a country which is part of the RHCA with Australia and you have been residing in that country, passport will show proof, then you ARE entitled. Medicare just looked at my Passport Visa page and gave me card, no worries.
Its all about ease of access and use to me, I find the inconsistencies of some government departments here frustrating, wasteful and inefficient. Its often down to lack of job worth, lack of customer service values and complete lack of willing to question out dated methodologies.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:49 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I agree with that.
When we first came, yonks ago, France did not have a reciprocal agreement, BUT the Medicare rules stated that you had to be a UK RESIDENT (not citizen) to be eligible. They first said I couldn't get it as I have a French passport but after a few chosen words, and showing them proof of residency in the UK for the previous 5 years, they agreed to register me.

This could go either way. If you're a UK citizen but resident in a country that does not have the agreement, you wouldn't be eligible.
Unless, like my wife does, you continue to pay NI contributions whilst non domiciled and therefore CAN be eligible.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:49 am
JAJ
Retired

Sorry, don't understand, I was not talking about opinions. If you are from a country which is part of the RHCA with Australia and you have been residing in that country, passport will show proof, then you ARE entitled. Medicare just looked at my Passport Visa page and gave me card, no worries.
Passport won't show proof of having lived in your own country and Medicare staff have often not understood that eligibility isn't based on nationality (which means that they just look at passport which isn't what they ought to be looking at).
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:56 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Passport won't show proof of having lived in your own country and Medicare staff have often not understood that eligibility isn't based on nationality (which means that they just look at passport which isn't what they ought to be looking at).
We were told the same (very apologetically by the manager of the Medicare office) - so we showed our NHS cards too.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 4:11 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We were told the same (very apologetically by the manager of the Medicare office) - so we showed our NHS cards too.
ARGGHHH~!!!!!n This is just what infuriates me about the bloody government offices here!!! No consistency, no understanding and no blooming common sense!!
Their website says this:
To enrol in Medicare you will need:

* your passport with a valid visa
* to provide, in some cases, identification showing you are enrolled in your country’s national health scheme.

If your application to enrol in Medicare is approved, you will receive an Australian reciprocal health care card in the mail.

How is 'some cases' defined??? What is the criteria for Medicare officials to know what 'some cases' are??
We have never been asked for our NHS cards, just our Visa stamped passports.
I'm not knocking you guys by the way, just really gets my goat, RTA has the same inconsistencies from office to office!! GRRRRRR
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:00 am
JAJ
Retired

How is 'some cases' defined??? What is the criteria for Medicare officials to know what 'some cases' are??
All depends on the terms of the agreement signed between Australia and the other country - they do vary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.