Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The 23 best countries for work-life balance... Really?

The 23 best countries for work-life balance... Really?

Old Feb 19th 2012, 8:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 23 best countries for work-life balance... Really?

Originally Posted by chris955
Do they ? Can we see the figures to support this statement ? With more and more people being employed on a casual basis paid leave isn't even in the equation.
My husband is a contractor, equivalent to casual if you like. He gets paid more than his salaried equivalent. Sensible people (like us) put money aside so that we can take holidays, cope if he is sick. When I was growing up I was taught to budget. Young people nowadays don't seem to be able to manage that. They live for today, don't save for a rainy day like we do as they have to have everything now and sod the consequences. If it then goes tits up I have absolutely no sympathy.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:08 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
They live for today, don't save for a rainy day like we do as they have to have everything now and sod the consequences. If it then goes tits up I have absolutely no sympathy.
Or they can use the European solution. Borrow beyond their means.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think many Australians use the European solution judging by the level of household debt.

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Or they can use the European solution. Borrow beyond their means.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 10:07 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
They never seem to work that much in Neighbours.....
No they dont and they are always at the coffee shop taking orange juice from the fridge and not paying for it, ordering nice smoothies/shakes and never finishing them, ordering quiche and salad and never eating it.

Doctor Karl is always at the local hospital in an emergency and at a GP clinic, Susan has taught and housed every troubled teen in Erinsborough and despite nearly being killed several times and having a gammy leg, Paul Robinson can run with the best of them.

There are no fat people - there was Toadie but even he is a hottie now, anyone with cellulite is killed promptly and noone ever works the night shift.

I truly believe that Neighbours represents the real Australia.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 10:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to know way too much about that show
Old Feb 19th 2012, 11:38 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are some that fit that bill that consider themselves hard done by, I was actually referring to those who can't afford good food or to pay the bills or the mortgage.
I know a few people that are in that situation. None of them are prolifigate spenders. Just folks that havent had the best of luck. Just one retrenchment or one workers comp accident can eat up savings very rapidly and screw a good lifestyle up for years.

My husband is a contractor, equivalent to casual if you like. He gets paid more than his salaried equivalent. Sensible people (like us) put money aside so that we can take holidays, cope if he is sick. When I was growing up I was taught to budget. Young people nowadays don't seem to be able to manage that. They live for today, don't save for a rainy day like we do as they have to have everything now and sod the consequences. If it then goes tits up I have absolutely no sympathy.
I'm a contractor too and get paid almost 25% more than my salaried counterparts, but I get no paid holidays, no paid sick leave, no company medical insurance etc etc.

However I have a separate bank account that each payday I put the equivalent of my staff collegues entitlements of holiday and sick leave into. Plus I have 6 months worth of salary sitting in another account. And I have private income protection insurance (that will pay me 75% of my current income for 2 years if I have a major illness) as well as my private health insurance, my super health protection and I also have TPD insurance.

yes it cost a lot to cover those (easily the nearly extra 25% I get paid as a contractor) but to me its worth it for the peace of mind it gives.

BUT...... I've had to eat into some of our savings due to medical issues with one of our daughters and to help my MIL with a few financial issues she's had with her UK pensions and investments.

I'm working longer hours than most of my collegues (55 hrs per week vs my collegues 40 hrs per week) but I'm lucky I have a gravy train to ride and can keep my insurance payments up and replenish my savings account as well as keeping my holiday & salary accounts stable.

If didn't have the job I have or had a workers comp accident that kept me off work for more than 2 years, then our very fortunate situation would rapidly change.

There are quite a few people in OZ like me, but have had just ONE unfortunate occurance and suddenly .....

Bad things can happen to the best of people and then life is suddenly not so easy anymore!

When I was in my early-mid 20's I thought I was invincible and never thought about the future - I totally lived for the moment. I'm guessing young folks never change and "wisdom" only comes with old(er) age.

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Feb 19th 2012 at 11:43 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 19th 2012, 11:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
I know a few people that are in that situation. None of them are prolifigate spenders. Just folks that havent had the best of luck. Just one retrenchment or one workers comp accident can eat up savings very rapidly and screw a good lifestyle up for years.

I'm a contractor too and get paid almost 25% more than my salaried counterparts, but I get no paid holidays, no paid sick leave, no company medical insurance etc etc.

However I have a separate bank account that each payday I put the equivalent of my staff collegues entitlements of holiday and sick leave into. Plus I have 6 months worth of salary sitting in another account. And I have private income protection insurance (that will pay me 75% of my current income for 2 years if I have a major illness) as well as my private health insurance, my super health protection and I also have TPD insurance.

yes it cost a lot to cover those (easily the nearly extra 25% I get paid as a contractor) but to me its worth it for the peace of mind it gives.

BUT...... I've had to eat into some of our savings due to medical issues with one of our daughters and to help my MIL with a few financial issues she's had with her UK pensions and investments.

I'm working longer hours than most of my collegues (55 hrs per week vs my collegues 40 hrs per week) but I'm lucky I have a gravy train to ride and can keep my insurance payments up and replenish my savings account as well as keeping my holiday & salary accounts stable.

If didn't have the job I have or had a workers comp accident that kept me off work for more than 2 years, then our very fortunate situation would rapidly change.

There are quite a few people in OZ like me, but have had just ONE unfortunate occurance and suddenly .....

Bad things can happen to the best of people and then life is suddenly not so easy anymore!

When I was in my early-mid 20's I thought I was invincible and never thought about the future - I totally lived for the moment. I'm guessing young folks never change and "wisdom" only comes with old(er) age.
That's what I am saying. We have a similar set up to you, my husband is currently working in Malaysia and working a 65 hour week so he can come home unpaid every 5 weeks. His choice I know but we have budgeted, know what we can afford and are putting away super and tax and all the other insurances you mention. I know disasters happen but people don't seem to think about that these days (this isn't a UK v Aus thing btw). Then when things go tits up they blame the banks, health professionals, employers etc etc. Some would say it's an age thing but I married a planner and he budgets for everything and it is always worst case scenario.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:46 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I am saying. We have a similar set up to you, my husband is currently working in Malaysia and working a 65 hour week so he can come home unpaid every 5 weeks. His choice I know but we have budgeted, know what we can afford and are putting away super and tax and all the other insurances you mention. I know disasters happen but people don't seem to think about that these days (this isn't a UK v Aus thing btw). Then when things go tits up they blame the banks, health professionals, employers etc etc. Some would say it's an age thing but I married a planner and he budgets for everything and it is always worst case scenario.

I do think its an age thing!

yes there are the odd exceptions that have planned, planned, planned from a very early age (maybe like your husband 'the Planner), but generally I think age brings knowledge and its only when you have children or get into your mid thirties that you seriously start thinking about "the future".

When people are young, single and child-free I think they are (and should be!) focused on having fun.

I remember when I was 22 and newly qualified, I was working as a site engineer and I bought a designer belt that cost GBP600 (in the late 1980's) - irresponsible? absolutely!!! but even now today in my mid 40's I still remember (and enjoy) the buzz I got from being able to do that.'
Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:31 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to know way too much about that show
Im afraid I watch it religiously and actually felt upset when Karl and Susan split up, I have always loved watching Neighbours and Home and Away, but Neighbours is my favourite.

(god I feel like I have just admitted to being a drug addict)
Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:33 am
Banned

You would get much more sympathy if you had admitted to being a drug addict

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Im afraid I watch it religiously and actually felt upset when Karl and Susan split up, I have always loved watching Neighbours and Home and Away, but Neighbours is my favourite.

(god I feel like I have just admitted to being a drug addict)
Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:37 am

You would get much more sympathy if you had admitted to being a drug addict
I know (goes red in embarrassment), it is almost as bad as fancying the entire Wiggles team.

I also like watching McCleods Daughters as well and have a strong memory for 'Cell Block H' with those large women wearing tight blue dungarees and the prison walls would shake if anyone leaned on them.

But is watching Neighbours as bad as watching Coronation Street?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:49 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know (goes red in embarrassment), it is almost .

How very dare you
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:43 am
Banned

At the very least.

Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

I know (goes red in embarrassment), it is almost as bad as fancying the entire Wiggles team.

I also like watching McCleods Daughters as well and have a strong memory for 'Cell Block H' with those large women wearing tight blue dungarees and the prison walls would shake if anyone leaned on them.

Oi, don't be a northern basher I was weened on Corrrie

I never got into Neighbours or Home & Away, purely because they are on at an awkward time. Dinner, homework, bedtime etc etc. You carry on enjoying them, sometimes we need that escape.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:09 am

Oi, don't be a northern basher I was weened on Corrrie

I never got into Neighbours or Home & Away, purely because they are on at an awkward time. Dinner, homework, bedtime etc etc. You carry on enjoying them, sometimes we need that escape.

I'm a Yorkshire lass myself, born in York I was and am a paid up member of the Peter Kay Club

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.