Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The 23 best countries for work-life balance... Really?

The 23 best countries for work-life balance... Really?

Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:08 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 23 best countries for work-life balance... Really?

I hate long service leave. It's just an excuse to give me a weeks less annual leave every year for 10 years. I doubt I'll ever qualify. If my company makes me redundant after 6 years all the LSL I've 'accrued' disappears without trace! What a great benefit!

Would far rather have the extra days accrued as annual leave and if I fancy an extended holiday every 10 years negotiate unpaid leave with my employer.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

Is it common in Australia to have the chance to 'buy leave'? When I lived in the UK I know it was pretty typical to get say 25 days standard, and reduce it to 20 and make a bit more in the paycheck or 'buy' 5 more days off. So in short your vacation time was 4 - 6 weeks depending on if you wanted more or less holidays and didnt mind the hit to the paycheck.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 2:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rld1177
Is it common in Australia to have the chance to 'buy leave'? When I lived in the UK I know it was pretty typical to get say 25 days standard, and reduce it to 20 and make a bit more in the paycheck or 'buy' 5 more days off. So in short your vacation time was 4 - 6 weeks depending on if you wanted more or less holidays and didnt mind the hit to the paycheck.
I used to be able to buy upto 7 weeks total annual leave through a flexible benefits package in the UK. Haven't come across that here but have had no problem getting unpaid leave approved - which is essentially the same thing.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 2:12 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know why much of Europe is in an economic crisis right now?

Too many perks for workers could be a reason.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:07 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Does anyone know why much of Europe is in an economic crisis right now?

Too many perks for workers could be a reason.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

in Denmark you can get 3 years paid maternity leave and your job is still open to you at the end of those 3 years, and if you get preganant again within the 3 year period it rolls over ( a friend of mine had 3 children in 7 years and is just now going back into her original job - with the appropriate salary increases).

How the hell do small companies survive those kind of workers rights
Old Feb 18th 2012, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Greece comes in at 21 so maybe Australia should follow their lead. Not!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 4:15 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
I hate long service leave. It's just an excuse to give me a weeks less annual leave every year for 10 years. I doubt I'll ever qualify.
It was a great idea in the days when people stayed with the one company all their working lives... but it's anachronistic these days.

I went from 30 days a year holiday in the UK, to 20 here and that was a company transfer... and my LSL clock started at zero. The years I had in with the company didn't transfer.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 7:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rld1177
They've introduced it in our department (Queensland Govt) but the rules are so complex that I don't think the take up rate is very high yet. I've reached the dizzy heights of being able to access my long service leave though, which I thought would never happen....over 7 years with the same department.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
in Denmark you can get 3 years paid maternity leave and your job is still open to you at the end of those 3 years, and if you get preganant again within the 3 year period it rolls over ( a friend of mine had 3 children in 7 years and is just now going back into her original job - with the appropriate salary increases).

How the hell do small companies survive those kind of workers rights
Most of those things are supported by the government so it is not actually the employer paying. Fathers can also take up to a year off paid until the child reaches 10 years. You can also take a years sabbatical after a few years. I lived there for 10 years and had friends who must have had easily 8 weeks leave a year with public holidays thrown in.

Free medical, very cheap child care, early retirement, free Uni and Schooling and hot women everywhere you go, i can see it would score very highly on the work/life scale

Downsides long dark cold winters and 50% min tax
Old Feb 18th 2012, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by papilon
Free medical, very cheap child care, early retirement, free Uni and Schooling and hot women everywhere you go, i can see it would score very highly on the work/life scale
Sweet.!!!
Well, at least I have a beach (with few hot women though) 10min from home ..

Last edited by MAR001; Feb 18th 2012 at 8:31 am.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Most Nurses would.... I know heaps of those. Builders LSL is transferrable as well. Plus I know a few Prison officers and lots of Posties... Even my football mate who manages a a Safeway Branch has managed to accrue it... thats damn hard in retail.. Comes down to how old you are and how long you lived here.
yep been at Austin almost 5 years already, hanging in there for my LSL
Old Feb 18th 2012, 8:35 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=DeadVim;9908104]The yanks probably got Australia and Austria mixed up again.

Old Feb 18th 2012, 9:45 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The yanks probably got Australia and Austria mixed up again.
Actually, Governator Arnie Swazzie was born in Kings Cross NSW.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
well for a start 20 days annual leave is absolute crap and a good 8-10 behind most European countries.

Paid maternity and paternity leave is crap here

Cost, quality and availability of childcare is prohibitive
maybe this is why Australia has such a robust economy, at least in comparison to most European countries?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.