Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arriving Highton, Geelong on 23rd Feb

Arriving Highton, Geelong on 23rd Feb

Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

plaver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arriving Highton, Geelong on 23rd Feb

Me and the family will be arriving in Highton on the 23rd Feb, I'm on look out for a cheap little runabout, if anyone has one for sale or knows anywhere to buy/source a little run about from. Please let me know. Thanks.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving Highton, Geelong on 23rd Feb

Hi, welcome to the forum. Can't help directly as I'm not in Melbourne until next month, but try the following websites - they list private sales as well as dealer:

www.carsales.com.au
www.drive.com.au

Good luck.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plaver
Me and the family will be arriving in Highton on the 23rd Feb, I'm on look out for a cheap little runabout, if anyone has one for sale or knows anywhere to buy/source a little run about from. Please let me know. Thanks.
Hi and welcome from a fellow Geelong resident! Just looked and Blood Toyota have some run arounds from about $7000. http://www.bloodtoyota.com.au/index....d=32&Itemid=71

La Trobe Terrace has lots of dealerships down at the bottom before the bridge. There are a lot of second hand car places down Fyans Street (you'll need to go down here to VicRoads if you need an Aussie driver's licence) but I don't know whether they are dodgy or not.

We rented for a couple of weeks and then bought one. Rental was quite reasonable...

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, and don't be shocked by the kms on the clock!! Most around the $5000-$8000 have 150000-210000kms on the clock!!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:22 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Just a word of Caution for private sales, please ensure that the car you get has a RWC (Road Worthy Certificate) (just like the MOT) which is less than 28 days old. if you do not get this, YOU will have to obtain one before you can register the car in your name. also be prepared for stamp duty costs of a few hundred dollars (I cant remember the percentage of the cars cost) for the transfer of ownership, if you look at dealer listings on carsales.com.au and look at the difference between the low price and the drive away price, that will give you an idea of the stamp duty price.
I am personally looking at dealer (for the warranty) 6 cylinder Magna 2001 with 200,000 Km on the clock for about $6,000 drive away, 1 year warranty.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you could get a decent Ford Falcon for between 3 - 4K Costs a bit to run... but very cheap to fix and any mechanic can fix them. They are actually quite econmical on a road trip. Their engines if looked after are definitely capable of 1,000,000 Ks. Their engine life expetancy is actually 600,000 to 1,000,000 ks.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 20th 2012 at 7:31 am.