Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2010 - As The Clash said "should I stay or should I go now?"

2010 - As The Clash said "should I stay or should I go now?"

Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light
Default 2010 - As The Clash said "should I stay or should I go now?"

OK peeps let's be honest 2009 was an awful year for us in UK wanting to move to Oz thanks to the good old £!!!

1.73 ish at the mo - should we stay or should we go!?

2010 for me and my very gorgeous and very pregnant OH is defo the year we go otherwise my RRV will expire!

So what are your thoughts, go anyway and sit on £'s in UK until better times? That's what I have to do and earn some of them strong A$'s!?

Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2010 - As The Clash said "should I stay or should I go now?"

Originally Posted by MrCro
OK peeps let's be honest 2009 was an awful year for us in UK wanting to move to Oz thanks to the good old £!!!

2010 for me and my very gorgeous and very pregnant OH is defo the year we go otherwise my RRV will expire!

So what are your thoughts, go anyway and sit on £'s in UK until better times? That's what I have to do and earn some of them strong A$'s!?

I would suggest that a decision based on your RRV expiring and you running the risk of never being able to emigrate again may be more valid than a decision based on an ever fluctuating exchange rate?

Buzzy
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2010 - As The Clash said "should I stay or should I go now?"

hi mrcro
you could always transfer your money but keep it in sterling at least you would get a better interest rate here and change it when the rate is better
I know westpac will do it for you and I am sure the rest will. as for when the pound will recover who knows. but in my experiance something will happen globaly that will affect the markets and if you are ready to move quickly you could benefit.

brian
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:47 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Just do it. Australia is a different economy compared to 10 years ago. 2.5 will never happen again.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dolly
hi mrcro
you could always transfer your money but keep it in sterling at least you would get a better interest rate here and change it when the rate is better
I know westpac will do it for you and I am sure the rest will. as for when the pound will recover who knows. but in my experiance something will happen globaly that will affect the markets and if you are ready to move quickly you could benefit.

brian
tell me more please, are you saying I can move £'s to aussie bank but keep in £'s yet earn australian interest rates???? n like that idea!!!!!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do it now. When we moved the rate we got was 2.6 something but compared to what friends had got a few years previously, around the 3.1 range, it was crap - you just make do with what you can get.

Don't think about what you've (supposedly lost or gained), the rate is what it is and it's out of your control.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

tell me more please, are you saying I can move £'s to aussie bank but keep in £'s yet earn australian interest rates???? n like that idea!!!!!
that was one of the options I was given when I came over nearly two years ago. I will be in the bank tomorrow and check it out for you. but as I understood it thats what you could do. we changed it back then which turned out to be a good time.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Come, come......we have just got the most perfect day down here in Mellie today.....that's what it's all about!

Seriously, the money thing is a total pain in the rear end as you will know from my recent threads especially as it was 2.48 when we came and we faffed around with the UK property not knowing what to do and this is where it got us!

Life is short, you have a bub on the way...leap of faith time. If you think you can get a job pretty sharpish out here and start to earn a good salary then you'll be fine. Either take a bigger mortage and pay it off when the pound improves or just go for it before house prices go up much futher here.

As Buzzy says if you think you might loose your visa then just come, better to have come and tried than loose the visa and never be able to come back!

Good luck!

KK
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst there will always be a little bit of variation in interest rates offered in one place versus another, the currency and interest rate is inextricably linked. You will not get Australian interest rates on sterling just because the bank account is held in Australia. If it were the case it would mean that the major financial institutions and investment banks would all be opening their GBP bank accounts in Australia. However to the best of my knowledge this is not happening.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

I can see a £2 to the dollar recovery at some point in the future but the 2.5 rate is a distant memory and was pretty temporary anyway.

Our visas expire next year and we have had an awful 2009 in the UK so are making that leap of faith becuase if we don't do it now, we never will.

I would argue that if the exchange rate is possibly enough for you to decide not to go and to let your visas expire, you probably don't want to emmigrate that badly anyway?

Last edited by 77hil; Jan 10th 2010 at 9:31 am.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I agree with the above posts, you should be wanting to emmigrate because your visa`s are due to expire not because of the exchange rate,, I know it all matters in one way or another, but Im in the same position, only got 12 mths left on our visas so if we dont come back asap we wont be coming back. plus of our age we cannot apply again, 42 & 49 yrs of age. We havent got the money we had the 1st time around, and now we cant sell our house, so we`l be coming back with debt, which we have never had before! very scary but the passion to get back far out weighs the passion to stay here in the UK.

Good Luck

Bluekipper
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

GO! You only live once. Things will sort themselves out.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:46 pm

aliread is an unknown quantity at this point

So what are your thoughts, go anyway and sit on £'s in UK until better times?
mmm think you could be waiting a while for that
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

I'd be concerned about trouble in the event you choose to go, but at the same time if you stay it might be twice as much.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aliread
mmm think you could be waiting a while for that
I don't mind waiting

Suppose I should add we are defo going this year,wasn't questioning that, just wondered how it is affecting other peoples thoughts on moving to Oz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.