2 weeks in

Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice
Default 2 weeks in

Just thought I would update anyone interested.
We arrived on the 30th June after a nightmare journey. The airline were great ( BA ) however the events surrounding the flights were not exactly how we had planned things. Flight from Glasgow to London, normally 1.5 hours ( 1/2 hour checking out the sights of Watford from 25,000 feet ) took us 2.5 hours due to a lightening storm. This delay pushed all the connections from then on in pretty tight. We jumped on the transfer bus from terminal 1 to 4 and in a mad rush to make our flight to Singapore ( departed in 10 mins ) I left my laptop bag on the bus. Now normally I would have claimed the insurance on this or reported it and waited to see if it had been found but this wasn't a normal circumstance. I had my passports with visa's obviously inserted in the bag as well. The next 30 mins were not the best I have spent in my life. As I was rushing to a BA desk to try and locate my bag, we were being offloaded from the flight to Singapore. I left my wife and daughter at the gate trying to sort out the flight as I was trying to get a hold of the bus company. I have watched Airport many times and had a laugh at the people ranting and raving at themselves as they had been so stupid. Yes that was me in this instance, the enormity of what I had just done was starting to hit me. No passports, no flight, no new life. We had to enter the country by 1st July to validate visa's. Things at this point couldn't have been any worse. Next thing that registers with me is the BA woman on the desk saying "we've got it". The smile on my face, if I could have jumped the counter I would have and given her a big kiss.
I got the bag and in the meantime the weather got worse. The flight to Singapore had been delayed. We were going to make it after all. We were put back on the flight and away we went.
We reached Singapore 2 hours behind schedule and fortunately our connecting flight had been delayed as well so we were able to spend some time in the lounge. Next leg of the flight went well and we arrived safely in Melbourne only to find that our daughters stroller, travel cot and my case hadn't made it with us. ( I suppose I expected something like this as we had been unloaded and reloaded ) I have travelled a bit in the past and sampled the same situation so I knew how to deal with it. We reported the missing items and to my amazement the ground staff told us they would hire a stroller and travel cot until ours arrived. Very impressed with this.
Next stage was to get through immigration. Very simple, queue up and present your landing card and passport, they stamp it and through you go. ( We found out the hard way by standing in the queue. If you have a child with you, you can take the lane next to the one the crew take. This just takes you right to the front. Wish we had known about that as we had a 14mth old on my arms as we had no stroller )
Anyway here we are and 2 weeks in. I've got to say I am very impressed with how integrated each of the institutes are. In 1 week we have been able to arrange our TFN, drivers licence, rental accommodation, bought a car, medicare, insurance for car, parking permit from town hall, dial-up internet ( you can pick up a disk from any telstra shop with pre-paid hours on it. very simple ) and attended a Melbourne meet, very helpful.
Everything has been very easy to organise and the people, well everything people say about Melbournites is 100% true. Very friendly, can't do enough for you.
So I start my job on Monday. We move into our rental accommodation on Thursday and looking forward to some reality. I will be glad when we have finally settled in a place as the serviced apartments are starting to grate on us now. ( Tip if anyone is planning to stay in the British Apartments. Make sure you don't get number 4 as this is just a room with your bed, kitchen, living area in one space. Make sure you ask the question. How many rooms is there. )
Anyway this is turning into war and peace and I am sure everyone has had enough by now if not earlier.
Hope people have found this informative and any questions then please ask.

I would like to say a special thanks to Flying Banana, Princess_atta & Flumper for making us welcome and helping us settle in.

Barrie
Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:56 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks in

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
We arrived on the 30th June after a nightmare journey. The airline were great ( BA ) however the events surrounding the flights were not exactly how we had planned things. Flight from Glasgow to London, normally 1.5 hours ( 1/2 hour checking out the sights of Watford from 25,000 feet ) took us 2.5 hours due to a lightening storm. This delay pushed all the connections from then on in pretty tight. We jumped on the transfer bus from terminal 1 to 4 and in a mad rush to make our flight to Singapore ( departed in 10 mins ) I left my laptop bag on the bus. Now normally I would have claimed the insurance on this or reported it and waited to see if it had been found but this wasn't a normal circumstance. I had my passports with visa's obviously inserted in the bag as well. The next 30 mins were not the best I have spent in my life. As I was rushing to a BA desk to try and locate my bag, we were being offloaded from the flight to Singapore. I left my wife and daughter at the gate trying to sort out the flight as I was trying to get a hold of the bus company. I have watched Airport many times and had a laugh at the people ranting and raving at themselves as they had been so stupid. Yes that was me in this instance, the enormity of what I had just done was starting to hit me. No passports, no flight, no new life. We had to enter the country by 1st July to validate visa's. Things at this point couldn't have been any worse. Next thing that registers with me is the BA woman on the desk saying "we've got it". The smile on my face, if I could have jumped the counter I would have and given her a big kiss.
I got the bag and in the meantime the weather got worse. The flight to Singapore had been delayed. We were going to make it after all. We were put back on the flight and away we went.
We reached Singapore 2 hours behind schedule and fortunately our connecting flight had been delayed as well so we were able to spend some time in the lounge. Next leg of the flight went well and we arrived safely in Melbourne only to find that our daughters stroller, travel cot and my case hadn't made it with us. ( I suppose I expected something like this as we had been unloaded and reloaded ) I have travelled a bit in the past and sampled the same situation so I knew how to deal with it. We reported the missing items and to my amazement the ground staff told us they would hire a stroller and travel cot until ours arrived. Very impressed with this.
Next stage was to get through immigration. Very simple, queue up and present your landing card and passport, they stamp it and through you go. ( We found out the hard way by standing in the queue. If you have a child with you, you can take the lane next to the one the crew take. This just takes you right to the front. Wish we had known about that as we had a 14mth old on my arms as we had no stroller )
Anyway here we are and 2 weeks in. I've got to say I am very impressed with how integrated each of the institutes are. In 1 week we have been able to arrange our TFN, drivers licence, rental accommodation, bought a car, medicare, insurance for car, parking permit from town hall, dial-up internet ( you can pick up a disk from any telstra shop with pre-paid hours on it. very simple ) and attended a Melbourne meet, very helpful.
Everything has been very easy to organise and the people, well everything people say about Melbournites is 100% true. Very friendly, can't do enough for you.
So I start my job on Monday. We move into our rental accommodation on Thursday and looking forward to some reality. I will be glad when we have finally settled in a place as the serviced apartments are starting to grate on us now. ( Tip if anyone is planning to stay in the British Apartments. Make sure you don't get number 4 as this is just a room with your bed, kitchen, living area in one space. Make sure you ask the question. How many rooms is there. )
Anyway this is turning into war and peace and I am sure everyone has had enough by now if not earlier.

I would like to say a special thanks to Flying Banana, Princess_atta & Flumper for making us welcome and helping us settle in.

Barrie
great post. good luck with the rest
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Barrie
my heart goes out to you, what a fantastic post, you must be exhausted. Isn't it the middle of the night, do you still have jet lag??

Good luck and very well done so far
Tara
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:08 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Glad things are getting better Barrie, I thought you were about ready to get the next flight home at the Melbourne meet.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

Barrie
Cheers Bhoywonder. Hope you're job goes well for you. We have to ditto a lot of what you said about the ease of getting set up over here. Its amazing what you can achieve in a week when you're focused!

Nicola
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

No passports, no flight, no new life. We had to enter the country by 1st July to validate visa's.

I suppose the lesson for the rest of us is: plan to arrive well in advance of your validation expiry date.

Leaving it till the last minute leaves you exposed to all sorts of potential risks - lost passport, delayed flight, airport closure due to terrorism, air traffic controllers strike - and if you are unlucky enough to miss the deadline, that's it, you've blown your dream !!!

Phil
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Barrie
Blimey!

My blood pressure's rocketed aftee reading that!! All's well that ends well though

Glad everything is going smoothly. Enjoy your new life

Cheers

BD
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Yeah, but us Scots like to live life on the edge. Wouldn't be the same otherwise.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bordy
Glad things are getting better Barrie, I thought you were about ready to get the next flight home at the Melbourne meet.
No chance of that Bordy, here for the longhaul.

Had a look down the SE burbs again and saw a different picture, now renting a place in Edithvale. People get hung up about distance. Our thoughts before we came out where that everything was spread out all over the place however that is not the case. If you have a car you can access just about anything within 30 / 45 mintues.
I met my boss today and when I told him I was staying in Edithvale he nearly had a heart attack. It is only 40 mins on the train to CBD, That is a dream for me.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Barrie
What a fab story, glad its all going well now after all that stress.

We are just trying to sell our house in the uk then it's off to Brissie, All the best Barrie i hope everything continues well in Mel 4 u.

Paula.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 2:00 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see you're settling in.
Keep us posted.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Great post - thanks for the info

Good luck for the next chapter of your adventure
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:18 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Never get bored with peoples arrival stories thanks for taking the time to post!
Keep us informed
Cheers
Kris
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

I just love these arrival stories, especially the ones to Melbourne which is where we will be going! I imagine myself lining myself up at my computer and typing the words 'We have finally arrived'.... A long way for us to go though - not even got assessment back yet

Good luck with it all.

Sarah
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:37 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Gotta agree, Great post & good luck with the new job too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.