Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2.5x salary to achieve same standard of living as UK?

2.5x salary to achieve same standard of living as UK?

Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:08 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2.5x salary to achieve same standard of living as UK?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Nobody denies Melbourne isn't as 'important' (what does that mean?) as the cities quoted. However, I'd contend that it and Sydney are more of a world city than anywhere in the UK apart from London.

On the statistics - Ironically Paris is smaller than the Manchester now extended to Greater Manchester.

2.68 mill I suppose is 3 mill but Melbourne is over 4 mill and is expected to be 5 mill by 2030. It's well known that the population of Greater London is falling through time eg 8.6 mill 1939, 7.7 mill 2009 - check out this forum to see one of the reasons why it has net emigration.
I have no doubt that Melbourne is a great place to live. It keeps getting voted "most liveable city". My post was more about not being able to directly compare London and Melbourne, in terms of standard of living, as they are different types of city.
If you look at the definition of Global city (wiki) you will see that only New York and London are considered Alpha ++
Next you have cities such as Tokyo, Paris and Sydney. They are Alpha +
Then you have cities such as L.A, Toronto, Frankfurt. They are Alpha cities.
Melbourne is an alpha - city along with Dublin, Miami and Bangkok.
Then there are Beta + such as Rome, Vancouver and Tel Aviv.
Then, Manchester comes in as Beta along with Cape Town and Auckland.

So, Melbourne and Manchester are not the same type of city but are more closely related than London and Melbourne.

All irrelevant really if you're happy where you're living. My only point it's difficult to make a direct comparison between Melbourne and London because you would expect to pay more money for a smaller property in an Alpha ++ city
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2.5x salary to achieve same standard of living as UK?

Originally Posted by Kapri
it's difficult to make a direct comparison between Melbourne and London because you would expect to pay more money for a smaller property in an Alpha ++ city
It is phenomenally easy to make a direct comparison between Melbourne and London if you are emigrating from one to the other .

BB
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:13 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It is phenomenally easy to make a direct comparison between Melbourne and London if you are emigrating from one to the other .

BB
Well yes

And lots of people have done well from selling up in London (alpha ++) and moving to a different city.
But Ozzy wasn't talking about emigrating

I thnk we went off topic slightly, sorry OP

Last edited by Kapri; Sep 8th 2013 at 11:17 am.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, plenty of nurses I know bought flats or houses in London in the mid to late 90s and made a killing. (Sadly, I wasn't one of them ).
Most of them then chose to sell up and leave London, but not all.

I haven't been to Melbourne and by all accounts it's a great place, but it's not a world city in the same way London is so I'm not sure you could make a direct comparison. Might be better comparing with Manchester
There is one direct comparison. prices for housing are around about the same like for like. IE: A 3 bedroom 2 bath house in Forest Hill or Sydenham (Circa 8 ks from the CBD) in good condition are around 840 K Aud... GBP... A almost or similar direct housing swap in other words.

First time that price differential has been so similar in all my time in Aus.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...burg-114635547
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...burg-114115563

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-42352958.html

Although that price comparision is moving apart again now.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 8th 2013 at 11:43 am.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:47 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Indeed...and IMO Melbourne is neither
We went to Melbourne every now and then when we lived in Geelong, absolutely hated driving there and would never live there but we are all different I guess. I wouldnt choose to live somewhere because some otherwise unknown organisation decides it is the most liveable
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We went to Melbourne every now and then when we lived in Geelong, absolutely hated driving there and would never live there but we are all different I guess. I wouldnt choose to live somewhere because some otherwise unknown organisation decides it is the most liveable
The Economist Intelligence Unit and Economist magazine is unknown? Hmm.

Whereas if Chris says Brisbane and Geelong are unliveable the world takes note?

I'm extracting the urine mate, don't bother.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt that Melbourne is a great place to live. It keeps getting voted "most liveable city". My post was more about not being able to directly compare London and Melbourne, in terms of standard of living, as they are different types of city.
If you look at the definition of Global city (wiki) you will see that only New York and London are considered Alpha ++
Next you have cities such as Tokyo, Paris and Sydney. They are Alpha +
Then you have cities such as L.A, Toronto, Frankfurt. They are Alpha cities.
Melbourne is an alpha - city along with Dublin, Miami and Bangkok.
Then there are Beta + such as Rome, Vancouver and Tel Aviv.
Then, Manchester comes in as Beta along with Cape Town and Auckland.

So, Melbourne and Manchester are not the same type of city but are more closely related than London and Melbourne.

All irrelevant really if you're happy where you're living. My only point it's difficult to make a direct comparison between Melbourne and London because you would expect to pay more money for a smaller property in an Alpha ++ city
Yep, I'm happy with that and sorry I raised the Manchester thing!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 6:10 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The Economist Intelligence Unit and Economist magazine is unknown? Hmm.

Whereas if Chris says Brisbane and Geelong are unliveable the world takes note?

I'm extracting the urine mate, don't bother.
Clearly I meant unknown the average man/woman in the street.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Clearly I meant unknown the average man/woman in the street.
Give the average man/woman in the street more credit - most would know and have heard about the 'most liveable city' tag. Or are they too insular to know anything?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:14 am
Banned

Give the average man/woman in the street more credit - most would know and have heard about the 'most liveable city' tag. Or are they too insular to know anything?
I have no doubt the average man/woman in the street in Melbourne would be very familiar with the tag
Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I find Melbourne quite a good place to visit. Living in Sydney I find it a good change. Very different cities. Certainly one of the good cities out there to visit. Not sure about living. Geelong - never been there. Whats it like?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
I find Melbourne quite a good place to visit. Living in Sydney I find it a good change. Very different cities. Certainly one of the good cities out there to visit. Not sure about living. Geelong - never been there. Whats it like?
Chris will have his views but I like it personally. Admittedly I haven't lived there but have visited endless times. I like it down by Eastern Beach and everything it has to offer, good shopping centre, excellent sporting facilities and close to the Bellarine and beyond. Needless to say it has it lowlights and if you work in Melbourne the daily commute could get tedious.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Beoz
Geelong has a few nice areas but much of the centre is pretty rundown, lots of empty shops last time we went. Of the 6 of us only one of my brothers still lives there. Just does absolutely nothing for me.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Geelong has a few nice areas but much of the centre is pretty rundown, lots of empty shops last time we went. Of the 6 of us only one of my brothers still lives there. Just does absolutely nothing for me.
I was under the impression that it was a blue collar battler town.
I don't know much about it, but I am sure there are nice areas.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Sorry, haven't read the whole thread, but based on personal experience I think a 2.2 multiple is about right.
So a GBP 50K salary is equivalent in spending power to around AUD 110K.
Melbourne is a lovely city and if you go you will (have to) learn to love AFL!!
Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.