Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st Home owners grant!!!!

1st Home owners grant!!!!

Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

halfcamoflauge is on a distinguished road
Question 1st Home owners grant!!!!

We became dual citizenship in jan 2009 but we left perth in dec 2009 due to family problems in the uk. We're planning on moving back to australia in 3 yrs time but to melbourne. While we were in perth we built our own house and recieved the 1st home owners grant, but when we left we sold the property. Now when we move back over but to melbourne could we again go for 1st Home owners grant because we will be living in a different state this time around?
Cheers if anybody can answer this for us.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:33 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st Home owners grant!!!!

I wish you all the best with that one, I really do. Sadly, I don't know the answer.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

No you cannot get the grant twice and you cannot get the grant if you have owned property in Australia since it was first introduced.

http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/SROnav...2575A1004420DC
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Ah cheers for that, just wasn't too sure thats all.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Really the answer was in the Question.... 1st Home owners.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

I just presumed that each state had their own rules. Like i had a driving licence in melbourne but when moved to perth i had to change it over. It started from scratch again. My husband had a couple of points on his licence but when he moved they were wiped off. New state different laws, just thought this may be the same for the grant.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

how much are these grants worth now if we build or buy??
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

sazzlewilson is an unknown quantity at this point

As the name suggests, it's only available to first time buyers. I think it's about $7000 now.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

NSW also launched a Home Builders Bonus now, no stamp duty on land purchase if you commence build in first 26 weeks after buying! I'll be looking at that!

http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/benefits/nbb/
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:48 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 1st Home owners grant!!!!

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Really the answer was in the Question.... 1st Home owners.
Yes but you can get it if you have owned property overseas.

We got $26000 from this, I didn't really feel we deserved it but I've paid so many taxes in my life that I didn't think I should have so I trousered it anyway.

BB

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Jul 12th 2010 at 1:26 am.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:23 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halfcamoflauge
I just presumed that each state had their own rules. Like i had a driving licence in melbourne but when moved to perth i had to change it over. It started from scratch again. My husband had a couple of points on his licence but when he moved they were wiped off. New state different laws, just thought this may be the same for the grant.

The First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) is a federal government initiative and was brought int o offset some of the implications of the [then] new GST.

As far as I am aware, you qualify if you have not had an interest in another property in Australia before.

The states may complement the FHOG with their own schemes, such as reduced stamp duty etc. The rules for these may differ from state to state e.g. the stamp duty exemption in NSW still applies if you have had an interest in a property overseas, yet in QLD previous interest in a property anywhere will defeat eligibility.

Check out the various websites for the state you are in for more details.

S