Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

10 Years on - Reflections on a First Return Visit to the UK

10 Years on - Reflections on a First Return Visit to the UK

Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 Years on - Reflections on a First Return Visit to the UK

Originally Posted by DC10
Took the train down to Geelong for work recently and as I walked out of the station precinct (on a drizzly, grey morning) was thinking how grimy and unattractive it was and yet how eerily similar to so many post-WWII town centres in Britain. Only difference is that the Luftwaffe never made it to Geelong...
I once bought an old Saab in Geelong and thought the place I got off at was a bit rundown: a satellite station,not the main drag: many places are in Melbourne : a view on Street view of a similar place in the UK reminds me there are hues of grey of course and often I have to concede that Melbourne is not so grey after all.

I can be quite scathing of the Australian dreary, less established suburbs but at least they are clean: I've been quite shocked to see that similar suburbs in Uk can be as depressing for quite the opposite reason.

As for restaurants when it comes to food I can never be sure how my food was in any place from memory. A good meal is a good meal and I would take into account a multitude of factors. I don't buy into this argument that one country has better pub grub : both have establishments that do large portions with a popular menu. I only recall that you got a sort of pie and ploughman's in the Uk which is replaced by a Parma here.

We've had people complain about roasts here as if somehow there is legislation that provides it can't be good by rule: you can get a good roast in any country and to suggest otherwise is very 'Tescos/Whinging Pom/Sit at home on a Settee with a ReadyMeal' mentality (which is fatal).

Cheers
Old Jul 24th 2015, 12:43 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Everyone should work for commission. It discourages mediocrity. Of course the lefties wouldn't like that.
Commissions tend to lead to pushy service.

Incentive is better.
How about "Give good service or you're fired'
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:43 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Incentive is better.
Commission-based service is usually awful and stinks from a mile away. Not only is it pushy but you get a whiff of insincerity and all sorts of mumbo jumbo with the simple aim of securing the sale. It's pretty much the "dodgy car dealer" attitude thrown into a regular retail sector...
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Incentive is better.
Even better
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Restaurants in Australia are generally terrible. And surprisingly it's Asian food that is the biggest let-down. Overall out of all the restaurants I've tried I would only return to about 15% of them. In fact once you find a handful of good ones you simply don't want to try out any new places since the chances of them being decent are so slim.

As far as the weather is concerned, it's a local thing there to moan and complain. In fact out of all European nations we are probably 'whinge central'. Heck, I'm pretty sure we are in contention for the podium in the global ranking as well...
In Perth, there is only one which we really rate and been too many times now so are bored of it - Amuse

Rockpool is supposed to be one of the better places, but after two visits I certainly would not recommend. First time was just bland - like the American idea of a good steak - very tender with zero flavour. The second time was the instance I have sent a dish back - and we had to do it twice!

Nobo is dull as dishwater chain. Tried the special anniversary chefs menu, supposed to be the pinnacle of their food. Dull.

The places in the city are particularly bad. My visit to Print Hall was among the worst - still waiting for some of what we ordered!
Old Jul 25th 2015, 4:21 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
In Perth, there is only one which we really rate and been too many times now so are bored of it - Amuse

Rockpool is supposed to be one of the better places, but after two visits I certainly would not recommend. First time was just bland - like the American idea of a good steak - very tender with zero flavour. The second time was the instance I have sent a dish back - and we had to do it twice!

Nobo is dull as dishwater chain. Tried the special anniversary chefs menu, supposed to be the pinnacle of their food. Dull.

The places in the city are particularly bad. My visit to Print Hall was among the worst - still waiting for some of what we ordered!
OMG it all becomes clear.

You're Michael Winner.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 4:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

You're Michael Winner.

Possibly.one.of the funniest posts this year
Old Jul 25th 2015, 7:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 27th 2015, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Blast from the past!
Old Aug 15th 2015, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
The UK is largely as we left it though globalisation is leaving its mark just as it is in Oz.
Globalisation had a factor in my decision to remove myself from England. I was disappointed to find similar problems with globalisation here, even in Brisbane.

Nevertheless, what I do enjoy about Australia is that I do not need to possess a time machine to enjoy revisiting the seventies and eighties eras. A twenty minute journey by car outside of Brisbane in any direction and I am teleported backwards into a different time zone!
Old Aug 15th 2015, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the UK for 3 days now. I've had a blast the past 3 days. Firstly I'm in the countryside, secondly the weather is OK which has meant I've been outside the entire time, mountain biking, rambling, gardening, beer gardening, outdoor pub lunches, you know, your typical British summer stuff that you can do for a couple of months a year. Nothing beats the British summer. Then there's the rest of the year. Boooooo.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 9:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Going back over Christmas, brother getting married, dickhead. I anticipate being very cold and very drunk for much of it
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 10:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

You're Michael Winner.
You mean he's been dead for the last two years????
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Going back over Christmas, brother getting married, dickhead. I anticipate being very cold and very drunk for much of it
Dickhead for getting married or for doing it at Christmas?
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 12:03 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Dickhead for getting married or for doing it at Christmas?
First thing I thought of too. I hope it's the latter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.