Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

10 Pound Poms on the ABC

10 Pound Poms on the ABC

Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:21 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default 10 Pound Poms on the ABC

Did anybody actually watch this documentary after my post yesterday which turned into a cat fight and the thread got closed.

It REALLY is a very well done doco off the ABC I have to say.............

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/417242
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 10 Pound Poms on the ABC

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Did anybody actually watch this documentary after my post yesterday which turned into a cat fight and the thread got closed.

Yes I borrowed a copy from our Library.I thought that it wasa really well done documentry. I could relate to it as I came out with my parents on the 10 pound fare.
Have to say I cried my heart out while watching it,especially the lady who wanted to go home with her daughters and her husband would not let her leave,that sadly was what my Mother experienced.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:39 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Yes I borrowed a copy from our Library.I thought that it wasa really well done documentry. I could relate to it as I came out with my parents on the 10 pound fare.
Have to say I cried my heart out while watching it,especially the lady who wanted to go home with her daughters and her husband would not let her leave,that sadly was what my Mother experienced.
I can sooo relate to that even though I was not a 10 pound Pom. A REALLY well done documentary by the ABC.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

I can sooo relate to that even though I was not a 10 pound Pom. A REALLY well done documentary by the ABC.
I have been reading your posts. Have you settled back now?
Cheers I.G.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

I have been reading your posts. Have you settled back now?
Cheers I.G.
Noo not really to be honest.............
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:26 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

In 1962 we arrived in Australia , 1964 my grand mother died suddenly , my mother who was terrified of flying could not get up the courage to return to the UK , something she has regretted for most of her 84 years , all she has is a photo of her grave , she was the only member of the family not present and she came from a large family [8 brothers & sisters } ........MM
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Noo not really to be honest.............
It's an awful feeling I know!!!
I try and make it home every year for a few weeks,but to be honest I think it makes me worse,just get back to Oz and I want to go back to the U.K. again.
I think that my kids, Grandkids, and Great /Grandkids have just about given up on me now. I have been talking for so many years about going back to live,but to be honest I am frightened after having lived in Oz for 54 years you would think by now that I would have settled
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr mover
In 1962 we arrived in Australia , 1964 my grand mother died suddenly , my mother who was terrified of flying could not get up the courage to return to the UK , something she has regretted for most of her 84 years , all she has is a photo of her grave , she was the only member of the family not present and she came from a large family [8 brothers & sisters } ........MM
That's so sad never to be able to return
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:46 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I try and make it home every year for a few weeks,but to be honest I think it makes me worse,just get back to Oz and I want to go back to the U.K. again.
I think that my kids, Grandkids, and Great /Grandkids have just about given up on me now. I have been talking for so many years about going back to live,but to be honest I am frightened after having lived in Oz for 54 years you would think by now that I would have settled
They say it's best to let the guinness settle,but not for 54 years
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:49 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 48 years and never had the urge to return, to me the Uk is just another country...........mm
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:08 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by mr mover
I have been here 48 years and never had the urge to return, to me the Uk is just another country...........mm
Where you very young when you came here? I do think that makes a difference for lots of people. My kids were 6 and 9 and as much as they love the UK and all the family there, they have never talked of going to live there. My son, well maybe he would, but my daughter has 2 kids of her own now and is very settled where she is in her life in Australia, plus she would HATE the cold!! She whinges about the winters here, imagine if she had that winter we had when I was there in January, the worst winter for 31 years!!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:10 am
Home Sweet Home

Yes it's a feeling you can't describe to anybody who hasn't felt it.......

At the end of that doco I.G. (without spoiling it for anybody who hasn't seen it) well did you see that old lady walking through the graveyard in the Cotswolds?? She had been in Australia for 50 years........
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be viewed if not located in Australia.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:34 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Can't be viewed if not located in Australia.
Ah yes, it's that same old problem of not being able to view if you are not in the same country, just like we can't watch NBC here. Yesterday I was trying to watch Who Do You Think You Are? US version.

Also I can't watch ITV iPlayer here BUT I did find a way around it yesterday, you buy this programme which costs about $9.99 AUD per month and it somehow "bypasses" the ISP (very non tech talk LOL!!) and lets you view from any country. It says you can put the programme on a memory stick then you can use it in any computer, I haven't bought it yet as I am still staying with my daughter being homeless and jobless , but I am thinking of it for the future. I thought I would do away with Pay TV (always have had it in the past for UK TV alone), get the best broadband deal I can and use this programme.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

A little heads up for all you ten pound poms - my husband was checking his families details on the national register of ten pound poms online a few years back and available for all to see is your name, date of birth and mothers maiden name. He contacted whichever department was responsible for the list and had his family blocked to public access for privacy reasons.

He also got his dad's name added to the immigration bridge in Canberra as a memorial which was nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.