Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Good luck Chillman - if you've got a good job to come to then you should be okay with the mortgage etc! Best to rent in any case for a while unless you know Mellie well and the pound maybe a wee bit stronger when you are ready to buy.

Our problem is trying to avoid a big mortgage as been there and done it in the UK as we are getting less time to pay it off plus we are self-employed and trying not to have too much debt around our necks!

That's the only reason why I'm miffed about this situation as after nearly 3 years here we feel ready to buy (fed up with renting and not being able to have things as you want) as have found our "spot" - unfortunately housing stock is low at the moment and overpriced.

If the banks in the UK would loan out the money instead of sitting on it the things might get going again. I was reading small businesses are the hardest hit with cashflow etc - the backbone of the UK.

Well, I did my bit for the Brit economy in June/July and I think retail figures were up those months!

If my money was in Aus then maybe I'd be buying up those surplus pounds unfortunately it's stuck over there and you wouldn't mind so much but the rubbish interest rates is just sticking the knife in deeper.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aliread
mmmm does matter to me how much the pound goes down still not moving back to the uk . Money is not everything. Uk is still going down the toilet.

I have 1 son and anther child on the way . I think, no i am sure Australia is alot better country to bring my children up .Never mind the money . The way of life, weather , people, the outdoor lifestyle , and the feeling the government is not trying to rip you off every minute

As for tax , i feel that i am paying less tax as i was in the uk . I have a company car here and had one with my job in the Uk and in the Uk they shaft you if you have a company car where as they don't in the Aus. But also in Aus you have to do your tax at the end of each year, which this year my wife and myself got $7000 back from ATO. Did not get that in the UK

At the end of the day pretty much every country you move to (for the average person ie not a millionaire ) you have to pay tax and everyone thinks the government is a bunch of idiots. So you might as well pick somewhere where the weather and views are nice
Ignoring the usual "down the toilet" rant. I think if you were at a different stage in your life, say about to retire and had been in Oz for 20+ years then the idea of moving back to the UK/Europe at current exchange rates must be looking very tempting.

As for getting seven grand back from the tax man... it certainly feels nice, but the reality of it is, that it just means that the ATO took seven grand of your money off you as an interest free loan, and gave it you back at the end of the financial year. Its not a 'gift', it was your money in the first place.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:07 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Rate with moneycorp now 1.88
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:43 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by perksy

I even would not rule out parity soon.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower
Oh yeah baby we could dream.

Although I see Aus dollar back on track for parity with US dollar is a popular theme now.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:27 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treefingers
Finally fallen through the 1.90 barrier, currently at 1.8983. I expect to come back to just around 1.92 next 24 hours.
Well, 24 hours later....1.885

It's certainly very risky if you have real money involved based on how hard it is to predict at the moment ain't it !
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:18 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Great time to sell your Aussie house and buy in the UK if you are heading the other way!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:25 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower
If that happened it would pretty much spell the end of Brits migrating here. Nobody would be able to afford to come
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:19 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting article here
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by perksy
1.87 this morning with Ozforex, so i changed my Dollars. Loving these rates.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

this is the worst rate i have seen since i have been looking into moving to oz ( well for us going that way ) but can anyone tell me what has been the worst it has been say in the last 10 years or worst ever
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
this is the worst rate i have seen since i have been looking into moving to oz ( well for us going that way ) but can anyone tell me what has been the worst it has been say in the last 10 years or worst ever
this is!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:54 pm

aliread is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Perhaps if Britain still had a Mining industry and associated industries, maybe they wouldn't have quite been in such a mess.

Now we all know why and who killed that off.

Corrr Yeah Bloody Unions

Look what they did to rover to start with
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:58 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
According to Ozforex the average since 1996 is $2.431655.

The $1.88 figure was touched in '96 as well, but the last few days saw a new low for that 13 / 14 year period.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aliread
Corrr Yeah Bloody Unions

Look what they did to rover to start with
I think you will find it was a Conservative government that got rid of the mining industry... not the union.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.