Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by wilf70
Given all of the discussion above;I'm going to be very controversial.Given the sentences handed out to the rio tinto people yesterday and the almost resounding silence from the Oz gov't---is this proof that Australia is now an economic/financial province of China in all but name.He who pays the price calls the tune??.China is the new Pacific colonial power arbitarily imposing its will.I throw this out with a view to discussion,not that I necessarily believe it.
No they were quiet because the people involved were beyond doubt guilty. Rio Tinto has now fired 4 executives in China for taking bribes too.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Given all of the discussion above;I'm going to be very controversial.Given the sentences handed out to the rio tinto people yesterday and the almost resounding silence from the Oz gov't---is this proof that Australia is now an economic/financial province of China in all but name.He who pays the price calls the tune??.China is the new Pacific colonial power arbitarily imposing its will.I throw this out with a view to discussion,not that I necessarily believe it.
You are absolutely right - but the politicians can't - or won't - see it now, or ever.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the fact that the Aus government stopped making deputations to the Singapore government wrt Nguyen Tuong Van, after they hanged him, mean that Aus is Singapore's bitch?

There's only so far you can protest against another country's justice system. See Justice Hiller B. Zobel rebuke to Louise Woodward's parents for an example.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 30th 2010 at 12:24 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

These guys were hung out to dry....can't let loyalty to staff (or citizens) get in the way of trade can we?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Move back to the UK as a retiree.
Make a few quid, live back in the dull, dark, long winters.
As a retiree, living off investments at 0.5% interest rates.

Leaving behind all the things you came to Aus for and going back to all the things you left for

Just for a few quid

Stu
And alot of retiree's here spend their winters jetting off for weeks on end to warmer climates!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by swigski
1. You asked did house prices drop between 1990-91 recession yet interestingly you only provide figures from 1991. You then change your parameters to 1990-1996.

2. I have not once said it is a FACT that Australia will go into recession even though Glen Stevens declared Australia actually in Recession in April 2009 before the Government Stimulus began giving the effect of a 10% pay rise to all Australians.

3.I actually stated this; "In my opinion a recession will hit Australia and if so it has to be a fact that house prices will drop."

4. OK, I agree that house prices do not always drop during a recession so maybe not a fact. But, so much depends on their affordability during this time. During the 1990-91 recession, housing affordability was 3:1 based on a single income. The current figure if we use the average COMBINED household income is closer to 5:1 or 9:1 for single earner (SYDNEY Averages). The Government is forecasting unemployment to rise into 2010. The RBA raising interest rates to cool the Stimulus spending down. OZ$ strength making immigration less attractive=less demand......... I predict a fall in house prices.

5. Let's just see how this whole thing unfolds and revisit it in Feb-Mar 2010. I will be the first to say I was wrong!
So. Do we revisit this today or do we have to wait till tomorrow?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:06 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So. Do we revisit this today or do we have to wait till tomorrow?

You've been waiting to post that haven't you...

S
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You've been waiting to post that haven't you...

S
Sad as it sounds. Yes.

But only after swigski said he was going to hound me with every "We're all doomed" report going.

A good memory for the trivial is one of my super powers
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Not saying its going to happen but...

"George Soros says further devaluation an option for the next UK govt" http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...3SK8lHoI&pos=7
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by freebo
Not saying its going to happen but...

"George Soros says further devaluation an option for the next UK govt" http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...3SK8lHoI&pos=7
Soros will always talk down a currency he has an interest in - read the article he made $1billion in 1992 being short on the £!!! He'll be heavily invested against £ now too!

And you can bet during that 1992period he had many doom and gloom comments for sterling published in the papers etc!!! Nice to have that sort of power!!!

Shame he doesn't have billions sat in £'s and wanting to emigrate to Oz as he would talk up the rate for all of us then!!!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
Soros will always talk down a currency he has an interest in - read the article he made $1billion in 1992 being short on the £!!! He'll be heavily invested against £ now too!

And you can bet during that 1992period he had many doom and gloom comments for sterling published in the papers etc!!! Nice to have that sort of power!!!

Shame he doesn't have billions sat in £'s and wanting to emigrate to Oz as he would talk up the rate for all of us then!!!
Not so sure actually, just a few months ago he was talking gold down, it then emerged he was buying loads of the stuff at the same time. You don't get to be a billionaire by telling everyone what you're up to.

I'll keep stacking my Gold for now, all currencies are going to zero.

EDIT - Saw the image below recently, summs it up wonderfully I think

It comes from a 3 part story called "The Sultans of Swap"

Last edited by freebo; Apr 11th 2010 at 12:21 pm. Reason: Added image
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

makes sense to talk down gold whilst buying it - creates dip in price = perfect buy in time.

then talk it up when you have filled your position.

I've been talking down the aussie dollar but doesn't seem to work for me - but then I tell my mates and not Bloomberg!!!

Oh to be Soros for a few months
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:47 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Well Crow-man,

Just got back to Blighty, just a short stay due to personal circumstances, should be heading back to Oz later this year!!!!!!!!!

But i tell yeh, if you are planning on eating and drinking spending your pound peso's, well me old mate, it ain't gonna be cheap for yeh!!!

If i was you, i would eat and drink as much as you can while you are here in the UK, you know, get real fat, then when you get over there to Oz, go on the wagon and go an a diet. It will save you a fortune, and will save us lot having to read your comments about how expensive Oz is!!!!!!!!!!

It ain't cheap spend the UK peso, that is a given!

Keith
Old Apr 11th 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Well Crow-man,

Just got back to Blighty, just a short stay due to personal circumstances, should be heading back to Oz later this year!!!!!!!!!

But i tell yeh, if you are planning on eating and drinking spending your pound peso's, well me old mate, it ain't gonna be cheap for yeh!!!

If i was you, i would eat and drink as much as you can while you are here in the UK, you know, get real fat, then when you get over there to Oz, go on the wagon and go an a diet. It will save you a fortune, and will save us lot having to read your comments about how expensive Oz is!!!!!!!!!!

It ain't cheap spend the UK peso, that is a given!

Keith
Mr Moon!

welcome 'back'

I've decided that I will be taking as little pesos as possible and getting a job to earn some of those platinum coated A$'s!!!!

bit of a pisser having worked for myself for so long but there you go.

Hope you guys brought back some A$'s, you'll be like millionaires around here Rodney!!!!
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:10 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyx
I've found some answers to my questions in this article.

UK pound drops on hung parliament fears

The pound has tumbled to a 10-month low as fears grow the UK will have a hung parliament in the forthcoming election.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8543007.stm
Hung parliament looking even more certain now....
Think it will make any diff to the rate ?

May 2 , 2010
UK Election 2010: Hung Parliament Still Most Likely Outcome
http://news.suite101.com/article.cfm...utcome-a232579

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.