Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

sue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nice
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

I remember when we emergrated 10 years ago.
Our 1st bit of cash we changed was 5000 pounds turned into $16000 thise were the days!!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower
i can see 1.70 or 1.50- basket case uk
I agree. The people in the UK have a certain one eyed Scottish idiot to thank for this and his magic money printing press.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I agree. The people in the UK have a certain one eyed Scottish idiot to thank for this and his magic money printing press.
Yeah, and the next mob that takes over is going to have to sort out the mess he and Bliar made - which is going to take a long time.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Check this website out:

http://www.x-rates.com/d/AUD/GBP/hist2007.html

Quite interesting that 95-97 the pound was weak and volatile then after that it's been pretty good up until summer last year when it's been up and down like a yoyo.

I can't see things improving for the pound until either the Aussie bubble bursts or the markets gain confidence in the pound once the current Govt get ousted.

KK
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Guys you have to remember that $2.7 was the blip, not what you see now.

What is happening now is the stabilising of currency due to the global economic positions of each nation.

The exchange rate was pretty much stable between 2.1 - 2.2 for a long time.
2.7 hit at the announcement of the official global recession.
The UK's Quantative easing has devalued the currency from its normal 2.2 down to the sub 2

Thats my take on it anyway
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:01 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Correct.

One eyed scottish git Brown !
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Still, the low £ would be good if the UK still had manufacturing industry.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
which is going to take a long time.
It will take a generation of austerity. I don't think this fact has really sunk in yet with the good folk back in the "old country". It will all start happening after the election - the tax hikes the massive cuts in govt. spending. It's going to be horrendous.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
It will take a generation of austerity. I don't think this fact has really sunk in yet with the good folk back in the "old country". It will all start happening after the election - the tax hikes the massive cuts in govt. spending. It's going to be horrendous.
A bit like Australia then, oh sorry.....we already pay massive amounts in taxes.

The lower the better as far as I'm concerned, more pounds for my dollars.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:03 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by stm1971
A bit like Australia then, oh sorry.....we already pay massive amounts in taxes.

Nothing like Australia. Australia hasn't been printing money like the UK. I don't think we do pay massive amounts in tax - I don't anyway - I reckon I'm income tax free when you take into account Family Tax benefit.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:05 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Less than the UK though.

Also until the recession Aus was running a surplus that it didn't know how to distribute. UK had no such luxury even with its higher taxation.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
As I predicted in another thread - it may go as low as $1.80
Totally agree. THey have devalued the pound to keep exports alive and also maintain the nominal price of the housing stock in the UK. If you're in euros, for example, UK housing has gone down about 50% in the last couple of years. Things could get worse as well- a formal devaluation and a run on the pound as well.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:15 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I easily pay less tax here than back in the UK. I suspect, but am unable to quantify completely, that I pay considerably less stealth tax.

At least the Australian government has the decency not to tax you when you die here on the money they have already taxed you to death on
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Yes, this is not the end of it yet.
We will most likely be seeing 1.7-1.8 in the coming 12 months.
Until Mr Brown pulls his finger out Stirling is only going down.

I got married in Qld, March 2001, we were getting over $3 to the pound then!!! (happy days).
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 65 million
(happy days).
Depends which way you're your travelling....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.