Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.3 million Brits resident in Australia

1.3 million Brits resident in Australia

Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1.3 million Brits resident in Australia

Originally Posted by isgraham
The problem with the EU is that some of the more enlightened ideas such as working time directive were not imposed on the UK and I and probably most others were forced to opt out and work very long hours (in my case for no extra pay). This clearly upsets the work life balance in favour of work. My experience here is that you work hard but hours are reasonable and I haven't had to work weekends. In my opinion it was we got the bad from the EU and non of the good.
WTD has caused lots of problems elsewhere - in France for example.
UK is meant to have some of the longest working hours in the developed world though, and i'm sure that's not a good thing.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Orkney, Scotland bound for the Mornington Peninsula!
Barcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to all

Originally Posted by esperanza
Is that 2.5% of the UK population is in Australia, or Brits in Oz make up 2.5% of the Australian population? I'm guessing the latter?
Also I wonder where the figures came from - is it people with visas, or everyone? (Not arguing with them, just interested to know what they really mean)
Hi the figure that 106,404 people born in Australia were in the UK in 2001, some 0.19% of the population comes from BBC news site
The 1.3 million Brits in Oz figure comes from another BBC news page
1.3 million is equivalent to 2.5% of the UK population of 60,441,457 according to http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/.../2119rank.html.
BBC quote they got stats from institute for public policy research
Figures are estimates of the estimated number of nationals believed to have lived in the country for a year or longer.

Thats as far as I can make out anyway, I have absolutely no expertise in statistics whatsoever, this is just what I found when I went to look!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by esperanza
With portuguese (& therefore espanol!) you will get french really easily. Have a go!

Errr... don't think so, the grammer is very different in french (no gerund or phrasel verbs and pronounciation is totally different (liasons, not pronouncing the last letter etc whereas Spanish and Portuguese are more phonetic, faux amis). I speak Portuguese albeit the Brazilian variety... and i cannot understand Spanish at all well (although better at Latin American Spanish.. don't need loads of phlegm and a lisp to use it). I have also spent most of my life trying to learn French and failed...

maybe i am just rubbish at languages...
Old Dec 13th 2006, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Errr... don't think so, the grammer is very different in french (no gerund or phrasel verbs and pronounciation is totally different (liasons, not pronouncing the last letter etc whereas Spanish and Portuguese are more phonetic, faux amis). I speak Portuguese albeit the Brazilian variety... and i cannot understand Spanish at all well (although better at Latin American Spanish.. don't need loads of phlegm and a lisp to use it). I have also spent most of my life trying to learn French and failed...

maybe i am just rubbish at languages...
Well I learned french first and then found spanish quite straightforward, then spanish was my step to portuguese (which I confess I never mastered). I know they are not the same, but there are a fair few similarities and I do think that once you know one then it makes it easier to learn another. But then that is speaking as someone whose mother-tongue is English, it could be different going in another direction.

I'd still encourage anyone to take up a new language, I LOVE languages!
Old Dec 13th 2006, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

The IPPR report was mentioned in yesterday's (Glasgow) Herald and the stat they picked out of the report to headline the article was that 1 in 8 Scots live overseas (which of course is a higher proportion than 5.5 mill out of 60 mill for the UK as a whole).

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/76526.html

OzTennis

Originally Posted by Barcop
Hi the figure that 106,404 people born in Australia were in the UK in 2001, some 0.19% of the population comes from BBC news site
The 1.3 million Brits in Oz figure comes from another BBC news page
1.3 million is equivalent to 2.5% of the UK population of 60,441,457 according to http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/.../2119rank.html.
BBC quote they got stats from institute for public policy research
Figures are estimates of the estimated number of nationals believed to have lived in the country for a year or longer.

Thats as far as I can make out anyway, I have absolutely no expertise in statistics whatsoever, this is just what I found when I went to look!