Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.3 million Brits resident in Australia

1.3 million Brits resident in Australia

Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Orkney, Scotland bound for the Mornington Peninsula!
Barcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to all
Default Re: 1.3 million Brits resident in Australia

Originally Posted by esperanza
It's because we can! I wonder how many Australians there are in the UK, it must go at least some way to balancing it out.
I also wonder how many of those Brits abroad are there permanently.
I would think that living in different countries is something that will become increasingly common for any people who can afford to do it - the world is a smaller place, we are part of a global community. It's great!
106,404 people born in Australia were in the UK in 2001, some 0.19% of the population.

If there are 1.3 million Britons in Australia, that is some 2.15% of the population.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
I'd agree with this because if you look at the figures most Brits are moving to warm countries (with the exception of Canada), and the warm weather is key in the "better lifestyle" debate. Who wants to be old and slipping arse over elbows on an icy pavement en route to the paper shop every day?

I would argue that pull factors are more powerful, though many Brits feel disgruntled about what they see as the "Europeanisation" of their country, so they "strike out" in the pioneer spirit because they read stories of cheaper land and lower population densities, etc.
Yep, this is a real 'I would agree' thread. It's difficult for me although I am an Aussie with dual nationality to fully understand the motives why people leave the UK. The weather one is easy (we've had rain in this part of Scotland for virtually every day in the last 5-6 weeks and coupled with high winds every day it just gets you down! Having said that, we are well into Dec, haven't had a severe frost, any snow or a really cold day, my grass is still growing and needs to be cut and it's global warming and all that )

OzTennis
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't take a genius to work out why so many people on BE are so down on the UK - they're all leaving or left! If you asked a different set of people you would get a different set of answers.

In terms of moving to Australia, I'd agree that the 'pull' is stronger than the 'push' - if it was just the push that was the main factor then Brits would be more evenly spread out in other countries.

I don't think there is a country in the world that doesn't suffer from crime, unemployment, etc etc etc - it's not restricted to the 'western' world. The key for each individual must be to find a country where for THEM the pros outweigh the cons. And the only way to find out is to go and try it - which it seems that increasing numbers of Brits are doing. Good on them too, at least they are doing something about it rather than sitting on their ar$es in the UK.

Should remember also that there are hundreds of thousands of people who would give their right arm to be in the UK - it is not the miserable hellhole that some people seem to see it as. Got quite a lot going for it really! Just not weather...
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barcop
106,404 people born in Australia were in the UK in 2001, some 0.19% of the population.

If there are 1.3 million Britons in Australia, that is some 2.15% of the population.

Is that 2.5% of the UK population is in Australia, or Brits in Oz make up 2.5% of the Australian population? I'm guessing the latter?
Also I wonder where the figures came from - is it people with visas, or everyone? (Not arguing with them, just interested to know what they really mean)
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barcop

Interesting stats - basically Brits are 11 or 12 times more prevalent in Australia than vice-versa!

I meant to add earlier that another important emigrating factor is what I call the 'Neighbours/Home and Away/A Place in the Sun' factor (which again is a Pull factor). Although in my case East Enders/Corrie would be a Push factor!

OzTennis
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yep, this is a real 'I would agree' thread. It's difficult for me although I am an Aussie with dual nationality to fully understand the motives why people leave the UK. The weather one is easy (we've had rain in this part of Scotland for virtually every day in the last 5-6 weeks and coupled with high winds every day it just gets you down! Having said that, we are well into Dec, haven't had a severe frost, any snow or a really cold day, my grass is still growing and needs to be cut and it's global warming and all that )

OzTennis
I might be well off course here, but I have a feeling that many British people see Australia as what Britain used to be like. I wonder if they see Australia as a more homogeneous society and one without the "corrupting" influence of the EU. I stress that I'm not saying this is my view, but "bloody Brussels" is often mentioned round these parts, and because the EU's influence in Britain has risen in conjunction with the rise in crime and corruption in the country, many Brits pin the blame on Europe, and go to Australia because "they're like us".

Also, people regularly report how "friendly" Australians and Canadian are, and paint a sepia-toned 1950s picture of life in these countries, compared with what they see as a fairly advanced industrial and squashed-together Britain.
Chuck in the warm weather and to many Brits it's a no-brainer, as they say Stateside.

I would say that main causes for leaving are:

1. Weather
2. Too many people
3. Expensive houses/fuel
4. "bloody Brussels"

All just thoughts, of course.

Last edited by Tableland; Dec 11th 2006 at 1:30 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It doesn't take a genius to work out why so many people on BE are so down on the UK - they're all leaving or left! If you asked a different set of people you would get a different set of answers.

In terms of moving to Australia, I'd agree that the 'pull' is stronger than the 'push' - if it was just the push that was the main factor then Brits would be more evenly spread out in other countries.

I don't think there is a country in the world that doesn't suffer from crime, unemployment, etc etc etc - it's not restricted to the 'western' world. The key for each individual must be to find a country where for THEM the pros outweigh the cons. And the only way to find out is to go and try it - which it seems that increasing numbers of Brits are doing. Good on them too, at least they are doing something about it rather than sitting on their ar$es in the UK.

Should remember also that there are hundreds of thousands of people who would give their right arm to be in the UK - it is not the miserable hellhole that some people seem to see it as. Got quite a lot going for it really! Just not weather...
On your last point I'd agree, it's just that most of those who would give their right arm to be in the UK are Polish, Slovak, Albanian, ........... and soon to be Bulgarian, Romanian, Turkish etc. (please not the green cheesy)

In their case the main reason for emigrating is Push factors!

OzTennis
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

I might be well off course here, but I have a feeling that many British people see Australia as what Britain used to be like. I wonder if they see Australia as a more homogeneous society and one without the "corrupting" influence of the EU. I stress that I'm not saying this is my view, but "bloody Brussels" is often mentioned round these parts, and because the EU's influence in Britain has risen in conjunction with the rise in crime and corruption in the country, many Brits pin the blame on Europe, and go to Australia because "they're like us".

Chuck in the warm weather and to many Brits it's a no-brainer, as they say Stateside.

Interesting... I hardly ever hear about 'bloody brussels'. Don't think EU can be blamed for rises in crime/corruption, but the human rights thing does my head in - rapists being compensated for time served, druggies compensated for going cold-turkey, illegal immigrants given colour tvs, etc etc. Not that I'm leaving because of those things, but I will be glad to leave it behind.
Oztennis - do you think Australians are "like us"? The more I find out the more I think that it will be a bit of a culture shock for me when I arrive there.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also, people regularly report how "friendly" Australians and Canadian are, and paint a sepia-toned 1950s picture of life in these countries, compared with what they see as a fairly advanced industrial and squashed-together Britain.

Good points! As I said earlier the Neighbours/Home and Away type factor. Life looks a lot easier in these soaps. I'm sure it must always be felt by Brits that there is more deference to class and breeding in the UK and that countries like Australia are more egalitarian where it is easier to make it if you are prepared to have a go (I'm not saying this is actually true but a perception).

For example, I witnessed the farce last night of the BBC Sports Personality Award if ever proof of deference to 'class' was needed. For those who don't know it was won by Dame Zara Phillips - it was supposedly voted on by the great British public and this is what they came up with. A royal who participates in a tiny minority sport only open to the rich and privileged. How Darren Clarke didn't win it (as a symbol of the Ryder Cup team and after all he went through) told me a lot. St Helens were team of the year and their Aussie coach was coach of the year - lots of votes from St Helens area methinks!

OzTennis
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting... I hardly ever hear about 'bloody brussels'. Don't think EU can be blamed for rises in crime/corruption, but the human rights thing does my head in - rapists being compensated for time served, druggies compensated for going cold-turkey, illegal immigrants given colour tvs, etc etc. Not that I'm leaving because of those things, but I will be glad to leave it behind.
Oztennis - do you think Australians are "like us"? The more I find out the more I think that it will be a bit of a culture shock for me when I arrive there.
Europe can't be blamed for everything, and has brought many benefits to Britain (the Human Rights Act not one of them of course). Actually, I'm not sure the full gravity of "no borders" in Europe has really sunk in with many Brits - or maybe it has and that explains the thousands leaving every week.....

It's a one-way street remember, because apart from those with the bickies to invest and buy 324 properties in Poland and watch their value soar, continental Europe is out of reach to most Brits because they only speak English. However, Britain is Destination Numero Uno for most Europeans because English is the one language they can all speak apart from their native languages.

So the "no borders" in the EU benefits some (the rich, of course, and eastern Europeans) more than it benefits others (the poor, the British).
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Europe can't be blamed for everything, and has brought many benefits to Britain (the Human Rights Act not one of them of course). Actually, I'm not sure the full gravity of "no borders" in Europe has really sunk in with many Brits - or maybe it has and that explains the thousands leaving every week.....

It's a one-way street remember, because apart from those with the bickies to invest and buy 324 properties in Poland and watch their value soar, continental Europe is out of reach to most Brits because they only speak English. However, Britain is Destination Numero Uno for most Europeans because English is the one language they can all speak apart from their native languages.

So the "no borders" in the EU benefits some (the rich, of course, and eastern Europeans) more than it benefits others (the poor, the British).

Hopefully in the future we Brits will realise that we need to make more of an effort to take advantage of the opportunites out there and we will start taking foreign languages seriously! It drives me crazy to hear the 'well they all speak english' argument from people who can't be bothered to learn something new. (NB this is not directed at any one on here)
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good points! As I said earlier the Neighbours/Home and Away type factor. Life looks a lot easier in these soaps. I'm sure it must always be felt by Brits that there is more deference to class and breeding in the UK and that countries like Australia are more egalitarian where it is easier to make it if you are prepared to have a go (I'm not saying this is actually true but a perception).

For example, I witnessed the farce last night of the BBC Sports Personality Award if ever proof of deference to 'class' was needed. For those who don't know it was won by Dame Zara Phillips - it was supposedly voted on by the great British public and this is what they came up with. A royal who participates in a tiny minority sport only open to the rich and privileged. How Darren Clarke didn't win it (as a symbol of the Ryder Cup team and after all he went through) told me a lot. St Helens were team of the year and their Aussie coach was coach of the year - lots of votes from St Helens area methinks!

OzTennis
I saw this and thought exactly the same thing. Nearly 1000 years since the Norman Invasion and the royals are lining up to collect the awards - and for that ancient symbol of privilege - the horse.

This is not a party political broadcast but I thought the same thing when I read about the shadow cabinet. I can't remember the exact figures right now, but you wouldn't believe how many of them were sons and daughters of senior naval officers or baronets or eton and oxbridge educated.

I thought that this is 2006, and nothing has changed since 1306. Maybe i should add this list to reasons to leave...

Having said that - Alexander Downer is from a pretty privileged background???
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hopefully in the future we Brits will realise that we need to make more of an effort to take advantage of the opportunites out there and we will start taking foreign languages seriously! It drives me crazy to hear the 'well they all speak english' argument from people who can't be bothered to learn something new. (NB this is not directed at any one on here)
It winds me up too - I have basic skills (and I mean basic) in two languages besides English and I wish I were fluent in them. Actually, I think the obsessiob with teaching kids French and German really has to go. If Britain wants to get anywhere it ought to start teachng its kids Chinese, Spanish and Hindi from primary school upwards.

But that would be way too sensible.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I saw this and thought exactly the same thing. Nearly 1000 years since the Norman Invasion and the royals are lining up to collect the awards - and for that ancient symbol of privilege - the horse.

This is not a party political broadcast but I thought the same thing when I read about the shadow cabinet. I can't remember the exact figures right now, but you wouldn't believe how many of them were sons and daughters of senior naval officers or baronets or eton and oxbridge educated.

I thought that this is 2006, and nothing has changed since 1306. Maybe i should add this list to reasons to leave..
Well... a few things have changed!
When I heard she was nominated I thought that was nice - why should she be excluded because of being royal? In the paper there was a list of other nominees, and I hadn't even heard of half of them. It's also nice that a more minority sport has been recognised instead of rubgy/football/cricket. Historically, what proportion of the sports awards have gone to royals? Can't be a lot.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:53 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

OzTennis

I think DC didnt win because of the news that broke over the weekend about his private life, thats how fickle people can be.

Eventing is not as exclusive as you would think, my partner does it, we live in a rented house and she is a bar manager, hardly high class. We spend a hell of a lot of the year fund raising, sitting in boring meetings and even duller meals with a whole range of people to try and get the money together to compete, and sometimes it is very hit and miss. I have to say that a great deal of people are in the same boat, and my partner was a grammar school girl, not a private one.
For me the biggest insult was when Elen Mcarther didnt win it, she is an inspiration to us all, and went through hell and back, always alone just to push herself, and it an area where we are world beaters, sailing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.