Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

[SE Queensland] Water supply to run dry

[SE Queensland] Water supply to run dry

Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:39 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: [SE Queensland] Water supply to run dry

Australia - gert by clouds.

Drought through SE Asia:

Drought Worsens in Southeast Asia (March 25, 2005)

EL NIÑO/SOUTHERN OSCILLATION (ENSO) - DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION April 7, 2005
Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:49 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
I missed that one.
When I was in Brisbane last year I actually took a photo of the Brisbane riverbank because the water was well down (4 months plus snice any decent rain I think) but then a couple of days later, the heavens opened and it chucked down for 3 or 4 days. Most of the locals we spoke to at the time were pretty chuffed with that
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295353

Don't think I mentioned the locals, did I? Being locals, they have more sense

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Apr 21st 2005 at 9:56 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Yep, we discussed this in a thread last week, there are still people who complain when its rains though!

Its raining again this morning, but once again only so lightly that theres no run off into any of the dam .
Flippin rain !! I hung the washing out yesterday, but forgot to bring it in again, and now it got wet overnight again !! Flippin rain !!

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:01 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Flippin rain !! I hung the washing out yesterday, but forgot to bring it in again, and now it got wet overnight again !! Flippin rain !!

LOL, behave or I'll come beat you with a big stick as well .
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:26 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by wmoore
"SOUTHEAST Queensland is only 18 months away from "total failure" of the drinking water supply, a top-secret Brisbane Water memo leaked to The Courier-Mail has starkly warned."

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...5E3102,00.html

Pretty scary stuff. Especially with all the people heading that way.

Or is it just paper talk?
As long as they don't run out of
Maybe they could connect the water pipes to the Breweries.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 21st 2005 at 11:28 pm.

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:35 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Look here for current dam capacity:

http://www.seqwater.com.au/content/s...me=NoticeLink1

Taking Wivenhoe at 44% current capacity and 0.6% used since last week means that all capacity would be gone by September 2006 without rainfall refilling the dam. If it's true that water is useable only down to 10% capacity then we've got enough to last until May 2006.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:45 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i read a report in the guardian about 6 months ago stating that australia has more available drinking water per person (by about 6 times) than the netherlands, and the only drought areas are the inland areas. they were actually ridiculing the idea that the main population areas (though i would suspect they were on about the east coast) were anywhere near having issues with water shortage
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:47 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting to see how much we need to cut back on water usage to ensure that current capacity is not expected to run out until after the summer 06/07 rainfall.

Again assuming that 10% of the capacity is not drinkable; that 0.6% of capacity is used each week (normally) and that what is left needs to get us through to the end of February 07, how much do we need to reduce water consumption starting now?

The answer is about 40%.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:53 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by brisnick
i read a report in the guardian about 6 months ago stating that australia has more available drinking water per person (by about 6 times) than the netherlands, and the only drought areas are the inland areas. they were actually ridiculing the idea that the main population areas (though i would suspect they were on about the east coast) were anywhere near having issues with water shortage
Theres plenty of drinking water just alot of its wasted or badly managed.
l don't think Queensland will run out of drinking water its probably just political scaremongering.

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:57 pm
PommieLeague

Over here in WA the idiot Gallop wont commit to any canal from the Kimberly or anything yet they keep telling us to water our grassed verges!
Money comes before lives as usual!

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

Was woken up 3 times last night with the rain on the roof , We have a tin roof and it's like sleeping in a caravan but when it rains it rains bucket loads for 10 minutes then stops.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:02 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
As long as they don't run out of
Maybe they could connect the water pipes to the Breweries.

slightly OT but I remember hearing of a story about the first big cholera break out in london in the 19th century. All these people in a street in london were being struck down with cholera, except for the workers in the local brewery as they drank beer and not from the well in the street that had become contaminated.

NJJ
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:10 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by NJJ
slightly OT but I remember hearing of a story about the first big cholera break out in london in the 19th century. All these people in a street in london were being struck down with cholera, except for the workers in the local brewery as they drank beer and not from the well in the street that had become contaminated.

NJJ

http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/broadstreetpump.html
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PommieLeague
Over here in WA the idiot Gallop wont commit to any canal from the Kimberly or anything yet they keep telling us to water our grassed verges!
Money comes before lives as usual!
Aren't you all still allowed to use sprinklers in WA?

Over here some water recycyling wouldn't go amiss. At the moment that is political a minefield. Instead the plan is pump water from the shoalhaven river which will probably kill it. Desalination is the other option being touted but this will become increasingly uneconomical with the current trend in the price of energy.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Watch out Queenlanders are now knicking water from their neighbours.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...5-1248,00.html

IF it's good enough to drink, or swim in – then it's good enough to steal. That's the approach Queensland thieves are taking as the worsening drought makes water a valuable commodity.

The worsening drought has spawned a flood of parched desperadoes who have stooped as low as stealing water from people's garden taps. In one of the latest cases, a brazen water thief made off with 460 kilolitres of water from a Hervey Bay industrial estate – enough to half-fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.