Reload this Page >

[B]Renting with a large dog ?[/B]

[B]Renting with a large dog ?[/B]

Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:16 pm
ERM
Champions

ERM is on a distinguished road
Default [B]Renting with a large dog ?[/B]

Hi, I am hoping to immigrate to Brisbane next summer along with my partner and son. We are bringing our German Shepperd dog with us. To start with we are hoping to rent. Has anyone had any experience when it comes to renting with a large pet? Thanks for your help in advance.

Ernie
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

birchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant future
Default Re: [B]Renting with a large dog ?[/B]

Originally Posted by ERM
Hi, I am hoping to immigrate to Brisbane next summer along with my partner and son. We are bringing our German Shepperd dog with us. To start with we are hoping to rent. Has anyone had any experience when it comes to renting with a large pet? Thanks for your help in advance.

Ernie
just thought i'd jump on this thread also as I have two large dogs and am going to perth

steve
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:49 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We've a Doberman. A large one at that. The only advice I would offer is if you can afford it - offer to pay the rent up front. You will then be amazed how quickly the advertised no pets allowed then changes.

You'll be expected to have the carpets cleaned and treated for fleas when you leave also.

It will limit your choice of rentals but most agents we found say no pets as a standard and then we had to say to them - yes but we have a dog, ask the landlord please as we're prepared to pay up front. The lure of cash is a funny thing. After the first 6 months if you choose to still rent then you can still go back to weekly rental payments.

Without that its still possible but you may have to just limit your choice of rental a bit really.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ERM

Ernie

Hi

We have houses that we rent out, one of them is set on acreage, and we allow dogs, as long as they are kept outside.

I think you will find that if you are prepared to pay a bond as well for the pet you shouldnt have too much of a prob.

K
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:24 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ERM
. Has anyone had any experience when it comes to renting with a large pet? Thanks for your help in advance.

Ernie
How does the dog pay for his half of the rent?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:45 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Most rental properties will specify no pets, but as previous posters have stated - it is often negotiable. Here in Qld, I do not think it is allowed to charge an additional "pet" bond, and I think the concern of most landlords is that pets will cause damage that will not be covered by the normal bond.

I think offering to pay up front might well sway it in your favour - a lot of new arrivals have to do that anyway, to make up for having no references.

Also, in Qld, it is generally never that cold, so the expectation would be that your pets do not live in the house (particularly large dogs), so you would need to look for somewhere with a fenced yard. We have a GSD and she has the run of the yard when we are around and is in a large secure run (with a kennel) when we are out.

It also might depend a bit on the house. We have 2 houses that we were renting out short term furnished and we will soon be renting them out as normal unfurnished rentals (see link in signature). They are both high set houses that have been built in underneath at some time, and for both of them the downstairs consists of a closed in garage (concrete floor) and a rumpus room (tiled floor) and fourth bedroom (tiled floor). We have no problem with tenants who have pets, but would generally not want the pets to be allowed upstairs.

Whenever there is a thread about this, someone will usually suggest that you rent the place then "smuggle" the pets in - removing them (and any evidence) when the rental inspections happen. Personally, I would not advise that - if someone did that to me as a landlord I would take great pleasure in turfing them out onto the street - I cannot stand dishonesty like that.

Hope that helps a bit,

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:11 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Yeah the offer of 6 months money up front swung it with our rental, altho as others have said the dog MUST live outside most of the time! ...

We arrived in March and in the night I would often count 5+ Cane toads in my garden which my dog would love playing with, to his detriment, so we took the chance and he lives inside (what he's used to anyway).

We're moving out tho end of the month as a neighbour has a dog that is simply neglected and yaps ALL the time ...

New place mutley IS allowed inside no worries! ...
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:21 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Yeah the offer of 6 months money up front swung it with our rental, altho as others have said the dog MUST live outside most of the time! ...

We arrived in March and in the night I would often count 5+ Cane toads in my garden which my dog would love playing with, to his detriment, so we took the chance and he lives inside (what he's used to anyway).

We're moving out tho end of the month as a neighbour has a dog that is simply neglected and yaps ALL the time ...

New place mutley IS allowed inside no worries! ...

Our landlord specified an outdoor/yard dog only for this property. She is mainly outside but she sleeps inside as the weather is crap. She's actually done a load of digging in the garden but the house is perfect... We're going to have to buy grass seed and fill in the holes before we leave.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:46 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iPom
She's actually done a load of digging in the garden but the house is perfect... We're going to have to buy grass seed and fill in the holes before we leave.
Whoops! ... altho as you say nothing grass seeds won't sort out ...
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:47 am
Account Closed

Whoops! ... altho as you say nothing grass seeds won't sort out ...
It's ok - the garden is nothing but a patch of very hardy yellow grass. You can't even notice actually.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:50 am
Account Closed

It's ok - the garden is nothing but a patch of very hardy yellow grass. You can't even notice actually.
Yeah same here what with the watering ban, altho there IS a few green patches here and there ...
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:51 am
Account Closed

Yeah same here what with the watering ban, altho there IS a few green patches here and there ...

We've had tonnes of rain up here recently but it's made no difference to the grass. I think it's meant to be yellow.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Our landlord specified an outdoor/yard dog only for this property. She is mainly outside but she sleeps inside as the weather is crap. She's actually done a load of digging in the garden but the house is perfect... We're going to have to buy grass seed and fill in the holes before we leave.
were the same, we have a great dane pup, loves digging her way to uk!! our landlord was fine with our dog, specified no dog indoors, she comes up in the evenings for a snuggle and then she has the laundry room, which is huge and under the house at night and then in the yard in the day. she also thinks cane toads are excellent and the green tree frogs squeak like squeaky toys, so she has a whale of a time...hence, she gets shut in at night.
we just passed our inspection with flying colours, mind you, we refilled holes, spruced up the garden and polished the floors...
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:25 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ERM

Ernie
I appreciate that you're going to Brisbane and hopefully you won't have any trouble but you might like to know our story.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330597
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331808

I wish you luck.

Sue
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:51 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ERM

Ernie
We are also to hoping to move to Brisbane next summer and rent for while, we also have a GSD and 2 cats, Its been interesting reading the replies to your thread and it looks like we had better be prepared to pay 6 months rent up front.
Don't know which area to rent in as never been to Brisbane considering a holiday there when we get the visas so we can look at some areas and rentals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.