school fees

Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:53 am
HAM
Forum Regular

Location: on the opposite side of the world to where I want to be...
HAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura about
Default school fees

Hi

I am aware of the $4500 school fee per child when you are on a 457 visa, but does anybody know whether if we decide to send our children privately we will have to pay the private fees, PLUS the $4500 fee for temporary residents...?

Many thanks...

Oh yes forgot to say we are (hopefully) going to Sydney
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:59 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school fees

Originally Posted by HAM
Hi

I am aware of the $4500 school fee per child when you are on a 457 visa, but does anybody know whether if we decide to send our children privately we will have to pay the private fees, PLUS the $4500 fee for temporary residents...?

Many thanks...

Sure NSW would be the same as QLD, we are on a 457 and send our children to a private (catholic) school and just pay the fees they charge only (same no matter what visa or if a citizen. In fact, both my kids fees are less than $4,500 pa.

Andrew
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:05 pm
HAM
Forum Regular

HAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by andrew63
Sure NSW would be the same as QLD, we are on a 457 and send our children to a private (catholic) school and just pay the fees they charge only (same no matter what visa or if a citizen. In fact, both my kids fees are less than $4,500 pa.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, do you know whether you would of had to pay anything if you'd sent them to state schooling, because of your 457?
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63

Andrew

School fees are a state policy and there's absolutely no reason why NSW and QLD should have the same rules.

Jeremy
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:11 pm
HAM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
School fees are a state policy and there's absolutely no reason why NSW and QLD should have the same rules.

Jeremy
Yes, I was aware of that JAJ that's why I was wondering if NSW applied the $4500 across the board for 457 holders in their state, and therfore if we decide to go private, this is something we have to pay in addition to their $4500k...
Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HAM
Yes, I was aware of that JAJ that's why I was wondering if NSW applied the $4500 across the board for 457 holders in their state, and therfore if we decide to go private, this is something we have to pay in addition to their $4500k...

Start looking at school websites. Many 'private' schools receive partial state funding and as such they have to apply state regulations.

If a school was totally private, then one's status should not (in theory) make a difference.

Why is your employer not prepared to pay these costs?

Jeremy
Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

alwaysunderwater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HAM
Hi

Many thanks...

Hello, we are in Melbourne on a 457, and the schools all say here that on a 457 visa we are considered residents, thus we don't pay those fees. Maybe you should double check withthe schools?

Adrian
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by alwaysunderwater
Hello, we are in Melbourne on a 457, and the schools all say here that on a 457 visa we are considered residents, thus we don't pay those fees. Maybe you should double check withthe schools?

Adrian

Once again - different states, different rules.

Victoria does not charge school fees to 457 visa holders at least at the moment, but NSW does.

Jeremy