Reload this Page >

** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ** Perth vs Melbourne - your views, please **

Originally Posted by hevs
Have to disagree with you Bridie..I lasted 9 months, travelled extensively but had to get away! The thought of spending the next X amount of years holidaying in Kalbarri or Margaret river was too depressing as I knew we wouldn't be able to afford to leave the state at all. Also the scenery doesn't change much unless you go way down south.

Here I like the change that an hours drive brings, or a 3 hours flight and you can be in NZ..I'm just a travel addict I suppose I and I know I'd have struggled with the feeling of not being able to escape W/A.

I certainly don't feel as though Melbourne is "better" than anywhere else standard of living wise...it just suits us better due to its proximity to other places than the state we live in.
Sorry, I don't understand your reasoning. How much is a three hour flight to NZ from Melbourne??
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:55 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

$99 when we went in October..why?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
hhhhhhhhhhhmmmm

Depends what you want

Perth is a small town akin to Southend (just nicer haha)

Melbourne is a big town 3.8 million

Neither are really citities. 1.5 million

Worst thing about Perth IMO is isolated feeling, WA so lots of hillbillies and no decent bands ever want to tour there cos too expensive so local ent scene is pretty clicky and doesnt change much.

Worst thing about Melbourne IMO is people's/media's obession with crap sport like AFL, Swimming and State Cricket... yawn....and melbourne has a bit of an obsession with oneself for being the 'best' instead of just being melbourne so snobbery is higher there..

Otherwise go to Melbourne lots more going on there.....

Oh...IMO
How is Melbourne not a city?

There are only 3 cities bigger than Melbourne in Europe, if it was ranked in the US it would come in the top 10 (probably top 5)

http://www.citymayors.com/features/euro_cities1.html

But AFL is by far one of the worst sports in history and I can't stand their stupid obsession with it.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:36 am
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
$99 when we went in October..why?
I expected it to be more than that, but it's a similar cost to the return flights my two friends just took from Perth to Adelaide.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by popwa
Hi, I'm new to the site and would like to add my 2 bobs worth. I did live in Melbourne for a few months when backpacking years ago. I last visited briefly almost 8 years ago. I have been living in Perth for over 18 years now and have 2 young boys. I feel that Perth is fine for young families, but it does have its limitations, as others have said. Perth is very unspoilt, but that is changing, particularly on the wonderful coastline. Plently of open space, but questionable local councils are squashing more and more people in, leading to urban stress. Very little protection for consumers, eg in house building. Great climate, but you get stuck indoors on very hot days, just like you might stay inside in bad weather in UK. Tight, often impenetrable, networks in social, work and political circles. Lazy, disinterested population that tends to sit on its collective backside, rather than stop bad things happening. If you have special needs, eg in education or health, your needs may well not be met, especially outside Perth, but even within the metro area. Low standard of education in state system. Museums, art galleries, school outings for kids extremely limited.

Yes, isolated, in a way that you cannot understand unless you have lived here. Expensive to escape from. We've been well-served by touring rock bands during the boom, but many don't bother coming to Perth. Many different outdoors opportunities available, especially water-based, but if you like walking in the countryside, it's too hot for 8 months of the year. The other 4 months it usually rains heavily, too much for bushwalking. At least 20 years behind everywhere else, but not in a positive way.

If I had to move from Perth, but stay in Australia, Melbourne would be my choice. It would probably to great if you could take up the option of flying into Perth and stay for a month, then travel across to Melbourne, or vice versa, as others suggested, so that you aren't left wondering. Good luck.
Thank you for your honest opinion and, being that you have lived in Perth for 18 years, an obviously educated one too, on the subject of my thread .

Every single point you made we had concerns over after just 3 weeks visiting Perth, hence the reason for asking the opinions of those with more experience living there.

Thanks again and Welcome to the forum

Karen xx
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:26 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
But AFL is by far one of the worst sports in history and I can't stand their stupid obsession with it.
Come down to a training session with us next month and you'll understand Bring a towel, some bandages and a few beers.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:04 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Come down to a training session with us next month and you'll understand Bring a towel, some bandages and a few beers.
and the soap on a rope
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
I was brought up in NZ on a solid diet of Rugby Union and Rugby League, I just can't take to it and neither can any of my mates from Sydney/Newcastle and Brisbane.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, a couple of things.

Melbourne IS a city, of course it it, but it feels like a country town to me, thats all i was saying. I mean, the main CBD is half a dozen streets on a grid, then you have a sprawling suburbia but you go out in the CBD of an evening and its dead, everything happens in the suburbs, which is great, but why to me it doesnt feel like a city per se.

As for AFL, the game itself is full on, and some of the guys run over half a marathon a game, there is no question that it requires a level of fitness and discipline more superior to sunday league Rugby.

But the media hype and crap that surrounds it that get between your ears for 8 months a year is pain, infact it is up there with the british media obessession with the 'credit crunch' and 'recession'
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:33 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

but you go out in the CBD of an evening and its dead, everything happens in the suburbs
The CBD is dead, not whenever I've been there. It all happens in the suburbs? A few central ones maybe but most of then have nothing happening.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:42 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Its all happening out this way
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

yeah look I am not going to debate it about Melbourne CBD being dead of an evening because its just my opinion.

I spent 2 years playing at the Elephant and Wheelbarrow on corner of bourke street on Saturday nights and found that the CBD didnt market itself too well of an evening unless you were 18 or asian.

I much prefer St Kilda, Fitzroy, Port Melbourne....
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:50 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I was brought up in NZ on a solid diet of Rugby Union and Rugby League
So was I and duck to water springs too mind. Not too worry everyone has there own views.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

your bias Geelong Gent, because, well you come from Geelong !!!!

The city that was going to erect an AFL sized ball the size of a Zepplin after winning the 2007 Grand Final.......

Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:53 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

your bias Geelong Gent, because, well you come from Geelong !!!!

The city that was going to erect an AFL sized ball the size of a Zepplin after winning the 2007 Grand Final.......

still grinning

Bit like 1966 will be fresh in my memories for many years too come

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.