Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

***EXCHANGE RATE***

***EXCHANGE RATE***

Old Aug 17th 2007, 6:43 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of
Default Re: ***EXCHANGE RATE***

2.533, getting beter all the time
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
How have you found them to be?

We've looked into them and they seem really good, esp the secutiry of knowing exactly where your money is! Spoke with HIFX today who were trying to get me to buy buy buy, but when I spoke to hubby the difference on the amount we're exchanging from say 2.5 to 2.3 is negligable and the peace of mind I think we'll get from Commonwealth will be worth it.

Would love to hear your thoughts - we are looking at the interest-bearing account where you can monitor rates. Which have you gone for?

Thanks!
We set up a migrant account with Crimminwealth before leaving the UK - the London lot were totally disinterested. When we got to Oz they had absolutely no record of us and the Sydney branch virtually told us to go away.

So we went to HSBC..........
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:04 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wol
We set up a migrant account with Crimminwealth before leaving the UK - the London lot were totally disinterested. When we got to Oz they had absolutely no record of us and the Sydney branch virtually told us to go away.

77.19 US, is that true?!!!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewOZ
77.19 US, is that true?!!!
Uh?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:57 am
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by daunted
Does anyone know what the implications of todays stock market probems is going to have on us tryign to sell houses Im really dim when it comes to this kinda stuff
The current volatility in the financial markets was driven by ridiculously optimistic valuations of US mortgage securities. I think this will inevitably lead to a tightening of lending criteria in most major economies - no more 30 year, 100% LTV, 7 x income, interest only mortgages where the sole supporting documentation is a Tesco Club Card. The US residential housing market is in full crash mode driven by higher borrowing costs and there will be difficult times ahead for the UK house market. I don't know enough about the Australian market to say definitively but I think a climate of risk averse credit availibilty and upward pressure on interest rates will have a similar effect. So, it may all balance out.

In summary, my opinion:

UK Property Market: stagnant to *****ed
Australian Property Market: mildly frothy to stagnant depending on region

Last edited by HCJ; Aug 17th 2007 at 10:29 am.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

From oanda.com

Friday, August 17, 2007

1 US Dollar = 1.24883 Australian Dollar

1 Australian Dollar (AUD) = 0.80075 US Dollar (USD)
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wol

We're thinking of using Commonwealth - from our dealings with them so far they sound ok. How did they not have a record of your account in Oz? Didn't london give you details of where your money had been transferred to? Or did you just open an account rather than transfer any money to it through them?????
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:38 pm
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HCJ

interest only mortgages where the sole supporting documentation is a Tesco Club Card.

In summary, my opinion:

Nice summary, thats what i am being told aswell.

And this ain't gonna help?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6951171.stm

Hips extended to three-bed homes
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

AndyandAnge will become famous soon enough

Ive just locked in @2.497 aus dollar for my pound my life savings house sale and the wife was sold. Hifx want 10% though oh well considering it was 2.25 a little while ago.

Whoopeeee!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AndyandAnge
Ive just locked in @2.497 aus dollar for my pound my life savings house sale and the wife was sold. Hifx want 10% though oh well considering it was 2.25 a little while ago.

Whoopeeee!
You sold the wife ? What price are they going for ? I've got a slightly used one I could chuck in with the house sale and washing machine
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:33 pm
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AndyandAnge

and the wife was sold. Whoopeeee!

Very good

Would not get a bean for my other half

Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HCJ
The current volatility in the financial markets was driven by ridiculously optimistic valuations of US mortgage securities. I think this will inevitably lead to a tightening of lending criteria in most major economies - no more 30 year, 100% LTV, 7 x income, interest only mortgages where the sole supporting documentation is a Tesco Club Card. The US residential housing market is in full crash mode driven by higher borrowing costs and there will be difficult times ahead for the UK house market. I don't know enough about the Australian market to say definitively but I think a climate of risk averse credit availibilty and upward pressure on interest rates will have a similar effect. So, it may all balance out.

In summary, my opinion:

GREAT just as i was beginning to think positive

SO does that mean the housing market is about to crash? OH for F*** S*** on news now about HIPS.
If you were offered a lot lower than market price for your house like £30k lower would you NOW take it?

Last edited by daunted; Aug 17th 2007 at 5:01 pm. Reason: fed up
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by daunted
GREAT just as i was beginning to think positive

SO does that mean the housing market is about to crash? OH for F*** S*** on news now about HIPS.
If you were offered a lot lower than market price for your house like £30k lower would you NOW take it?
If your house is on the market already, prior to the HIPS introduction date, then i think you will be fine, i think it is only for new sales after the intro date etc? So get ready for alot of competition, rush to get it on the market before the beginning of September, to avoid HIPS? Or maybe there will be alot of two bedroom houses with ten studies etc?

It depends on what your house is worth, if its up for 300k, then yes i would knock 30k off to ged rid of it, as it is only 10%, so well worth it, as you can regain this loss when making an offer on your new property if you get your timing right in a falling market?

But if you property is up for 100k, then tell them to sod off, its much dependent on your sale cost you see.

When your a seller you want rising prices, but when you are a buyer like me, when you arrive in OZ, you may find properties are not shifting so quick, so could be in a good position to negotiate a good reduction, but do your research on different areas, rent for a while, good luck!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nursebank
If your house is on the market already, prior to the HIPS introduction date, then i think you will be fine, i think it is only for new sales after the intro date etc? So get ready for alot of competition, rush to get it on the market before the beginning of September, to avoid HIPS? Or maybe there will be alot of two bedroom houses with ten studies etc?

It depends on what your house is worth, if its up for 300k, then yes i would knock 30k off to ged rid of it, as it is only 10%, so well worth it, as you can regain this loss when making an offer on your new property if you get your timing right in a falling market?

But if you property is up for 100k, then tell them to sod off, its much dependent on your sale cost you see.

When your a seller you want rising prices, but when you are a buyer like me, when you arrive in OZ, you may find properties are not shifting so quick, so could be in a good position to negotiate a good reduction, but do your research on different areas, rent for a while, good luck!
thanks Nursebank - this last 24 hours has really got to me.
My house is already on the market so i guess i am ok from HIPS. it is well under £300k (£155k) so i guess i should hang tight for a while
Does anyone know if i will have to do HIPS in 6 months or so if it still hasnt sold??
Thanks for your patience, im (in true norven speak) rite fed up
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

AndyandAnge will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nursebank

Oh NURSEBANK you seem so knowledgable about matters thats a concern i`m all of a flutter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.