Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$780 p.w. in Sydney Good or Bad?

$780 p.w. in Sydney Good or Bad?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:37 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $780 p.w. in Sydney Good or Bad?

Originally Posted by nickyc
The southwestern suburbs of Sydney are not all crime-ridden, drug-dens. That's the grossest over-generalisation I've ever read on this forum. Cabramatta and Lakemba are two suburbs that are known trouble spots - but there are literally hundreds of other suburbs that quite normal, law-abiding Australians live in quite happily.

The southwestern suburbs are the fastest growing area in Sydney and very popular with first home buyers. You can get a new house starting from around $300,000 in a neat suburb or you can pay over a million for a large property with room for a pony (if that's want you want) and your neighbours will be people just like you. To impy that all western and south-western suburbs are crime, drug and gang-ridden is totally ludicrous and shows that you don't know much about the area. Maybe someone who lives in Perth is not in a good position to respond to questions about real estate in Sydney.

The real reason these areas are cheaper to buy into is because of the distance from the CBD and beaches (so land is cheaper). There's a lack of infrastructure in some new developments and it gets much hotter out there in summer (and colder in winter) so not as desirable as other parts of Sydney.
I notice you live in Coogee and NOT Campbelltown or wherever
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by greggsy

I have had an offer from Quantas in richmond sydney as an aircraft engineer. The starting pay is $780 per week before tax, after looking at house prices etc. this seems a bit low. Does anyone know if this is reasonable or not? Would love to hear your oppinions as we were planning to go to Brisbane originaly but not sure what to do. Also is Sydney a good place to live. Look forward to hearing your reply's Thanks

Greggsy
We went on a weekend away up Richmond way. We drove past Castle Hill, then through Windsor and Richmond, past a RAAF base and then on to Kurrajong. I thought it was a beautiful area. Is that the Richmond you mean? It's up the M2 then up the Windsor rd. etc etc. About 1.5 hrs from the Northern beaches?? If you get a job there and buy a house there, I think you would have a good standard of living.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:30 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
The real reason these areas are cheaper to buy into is because of the distance from the CBD and beaches (so land is cheaper). There's a lack of infrastructure in some new developments and it gets much hotter out there in summer (and colder in winter) so not as desirable as other parts of Sydney.
I accept that this would contribute to lower prices. Its logical. But if I was moving halfway around the world I'd be looking at areas that might be a little more expensive and get a more modest rental dwelling until both are working and have sussed the greater sydney area out a bit better. I certainly would'nt look at racing off to miles away in an area thats known to have problems and be miles away from everywhere, just to score cheap rent/or mortgage.