Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$780 p.w. in Sydney Good or Bad?

$780 p.w. in Sydney Good or Bad?

Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Question $780 p.w. in Sydney Good or Bad?

I have had an offer from Quantas in richmond sydney as an aircraft engineer. The starting pay is $780 per week before tax, after looking at house prices etc. this seems a bit low. Does anyone know if this is reasonable or not? Would love to hear your oppinions as we were planning to go to Brisbane originaly but not sure what to do. Also is Sydney a good place to live. Look forward to hearing your reply's Thanks

Greggsy
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $780 p.w. in Sydney Good or Bad?

Originally Posted by greggsy

I have had an offer from Quantas in richmond sydney as an aircraft engineer. The starting pay is $780 per week before tax, after looking at house prices etc. this seems a bit low. Does anyone know if this is reasonable or not? Would love to hear your oppinions as we were planning to go to Brisbane originaly but not sure what to do. Also is Sydney a good place to live. Look forward to hearing your reply's Thanks

Greggsy
The thing is its a job, with a good company and being qantas I would have thought that whatever they pay would have to be the award wage, so its quite possible that is the going wage.

I'd agree its not a lot of money for sydney, but its $40,000 a year and thats hardly an unusual wage for australia let alone a low one, if you can get on with a big co like qantas there must be chances for promotion?
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned on your other post, I'd learn to spell their name before you apply to them
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Greggsy
There are several aerospace companies in Australia.

Boeing have a military concern near Brisbane and many other locations.

British Aerospace are established in Adelaide and elsewhere.

Other firms such as Raytheon also have several bases.
My son is an Aircraft design engineer based in Adelaide and earns a huge amount more than that.

It would depend on your particular skills and seniority.

You would need security clearance to work in Military and may need citizenship to get it.

Check around with other companies to see what the going rate is.

Sydney is the most expensive place to live so bear that in mind.

Good luck

G
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:42 am
ABCDiamond

Greggsy
If you are going to be living in that area, housing isn't too expensive, compared to the rest of Sydney, starting at about $300k for a reasonable 3 bed house.
We used to live in that general area, and my wife actually worked in Windsor, very near to the Richmond Base.

Wages ? Maybe OK to begin with, but when is the first pay review ?

Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:23 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Greggsy
The minimum wage in Australia for a 40 hour week is around $300 less a week.
Many university graduates start at around what you have been offered or less. Most families in OZ are two income and if you have kids you will get some assistance from the govt also.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:27 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Greggsy
Sydney is fine and if you have a firm job offer with QANTAS (queensland and northern territory airline service), I'd be inclined to take it.

Avoid the sth western suburbs. And do what you're doing and get the lowdown from those who have made sydney their home. You may be able to transfer within the Qantas organisation later to brisbane if you want.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:40 am
blossom

And don't forget the perks of rock bottom priced flights to anywhere!

As you have been offered a job in Sydney, your could always apply to transfer up to Brisbane if vacancies open.

At least it is a job to get you started.

Blossom

Last edited by blossom; Mar 27th 2005 at 10:48 am.

Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling
My son is an Aircraft design engineer based in Adelaide and earns a huge amount more than that.
An Aircraft design engineer and an aircraft engineer are two entirely different jobs. Probably more academic study in the former and less people doing it, therefore higher pay
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:57 am
Banned

Greggsy
I also think Qantas aircraft engineers took a pay cut a while back because there was an uproar here over Qantas getting their planes serviced in Auckland cause it cost less in wages.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:03 am
Just Joined

rumba has a spectacular aura aboutrumba has a spectacular aura aboutrumba has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Sydney is fine and if you have a firm job offer with QANTAS (queensland and northern territory airline service), I'd be inclined to take it.

Avoid the sth western suburbs. And do what you're doing and get the lowdown from those who have made sydney their home. You may be able to transfer within the Qantas organisation later to brisbane if you want.
why do you say avoid the sth western suburbs? I've noticed the house prices are cheaper in that area is there any particular reason?
Thanks
Alex
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rumba
why do you say avoid the sth western suburbs? I've noticed the house prices are cheaper in that area is there any particular reason?
Thanks
Alex
They are cheap for a reason. Its crime ridden, drugs, gangs(lebanese and others), triad, etc etc Police station in one of the suburbs was shot at awhile back while coppers were inside. And areas like Cabramatta while ok in the daytime have regular violence problems (often gun shootings).

Incidentally,10% of all murders in the state of NSW occur in Cabramatta!

Still wanna live there?
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:38 am
ABCDiamond

I agree, Cabramatta is OK during the day, but at night :scared:

There's some nice places near Windsor & Richmond though

Old Mar 27th 2005, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

mozzie will become famous soon enough

Greggsy
One thing to bear in mind is that you may be able to get some very cheap air fares, including relocation to Oz. In the 80's I worked on contract for the now-defunct Ansett Airlines. In those days employees only paid about 10% of normal air fare. Things may have changed since then, but it might be worth checking out if you're interested in having regular hols back in the UK (or anywhere else).

BTW, if you are going to work for them, best to get the name right. (QANTAS! )
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
They are cheap for a reason. Its crime ridden, drugs, gangs(lebanese and others), triad, etc etc Police station in one of the suburbs was shot at awhile back while coppers were inside. And areas like Cabramatta while ok in the daytime have regular violence problems (often gun shootings).

Incidentally,10% of all murders in the state of NSW occur in Cabramatta!

Still wanna live there?
The southwestern suburbs of Sydney are not all crime-ridden, drug-dens. That's the grossest over-generalisation I've ever read on this forum. Cabramatta and Lakemba are two suburbs that are known trouble spots - but there are literally hundreds of other suburbs that quite normal, law-abiding Australians live in quite happily.

The southwestern suburbs are the fastest growing area in Sydney and very popular with first home buyers. You can get a new house starting from around $300,000 in a neat suburb or you can pay over a million for a large property with room for a pony (if that's want you want) and your neighbours will be people just like you. To impy that all western and south-western suburbs are crime, drug and gang-ridden is totally ludicrous and shows that you don't know much about the area. Maybe someone who lives in Perth is not in a good position to respond to questions about real estate in Sydney.

The real reason these areas are cheaper to buy into is because of the distance from the CBD and beaches (so land is cheaper). There's a lack of infrastructure in some new developments and it gets much hotter out there in summer (and colder in winter) so not as desirable as other parts of Sydney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.