Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$600,000 What can it buy in Sydney?

$600,000 What can it buy in Sydney?

Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:45 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Thumbs up $600,000 What can it buy in Sydney?

I was just wondering what type of 3 bed house I could buy in Sydney for $600,000AU?

Would I get some where decent? Or Rough?

What areas are a good buy for that money?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. If it means spending more then how much more?

Cheers all,

Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:14 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $600,000 What can it buy in Sydney?

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
I was just wondering what type of 3 bed house I could buy in Sydney for $600,000AU?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. If it means spending more then how much more?

Cheers all,

Trty searching realestate.com.au - here's an (example)
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers all,

or http://www.domain.com.au/
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:42 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Hey,

Many thanks,

I'm checking them out right now.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough

What are you requirements, ie what kind of suburb are you looking for?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:51 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Last weekend I tagged along with a friend of mine who's a professional auctioneer (writing an article about him) on a day of auctions in Sydney. The answer is, you're looking at a smallish house in one of the working class areas. For instance he auctioneed a lovely Victorian house in Summer Hill for $520k (two bed, garden, high ceilings). End of terrace, balcony, nice and central, close enough to the Hume Highway. Sydney property markets at a low ebb at the moment, but slowly starting to pick up again. Very good time to buy.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

$600k will buy a very large modern house in the western or south-western suburbs. It will buy you a modern McMansion in the Hills district (north west). It will buy you a smaller, older house towards the northern edge of the North Shore and the southern edge of Sutherland shire (south). It will buy you a very small, old house in the inner west. It will barely buy you anything on the lower North Shore, Northern Beaches or the Eastern Suburbs - though it would buy you a nice apartment.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:05 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

It won't buy you a 'dream' house in Sydney - one of those mansions by the beach with sea views and a pool in the backyard. In the more popular areas, you may be able to buy something small and unrenovated on a main road next to something unpleasant like a sewage plant.

If you're willing to look in areas further away from the CBD and beaches, possibly under the flight path, or if public transport infrastructure isn't a top priority, and you're not fussy about living somewhere with a so-called 'cafe society', you can find something for $600k.

A common experience seems to be that you move here (Sydney) hoping to be mortgage free or at least have a very small mortgage, and end up reassessing your priorities and increasing your budget. When I read of people's homes in other states, it is a bit galling. Two bathrooms - ha! it would be nice to have a bathroom big enough to fit a bath in
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:29 am
IT Guru

Thats great feedback. Thank you all very much.

At the moment we are mortgage free in the UK and living in a 3 bed, 1 bathroom & 55mins from London by Train. Obviously I would like to be mortgage free when I move to OZ (to take the pressure off). But with all the possibilities you have given. It gives me some food for thought.

Many thanks

Old Apr 5th 2007, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

SydneySwede has a spectacular aura aboutSydneySwede has a spectacular aura aboutSydneySwede has a spectacular aura about

Hi there, we've recently bought a place in Engadine (4 bedroom with pool for 460k but need some cosmetic work, will probably end up spending around $50k), Sutherland shire and there are quite a lot to choose from at the 600k mark. Look at places like Bonnet Bay, Engadine, Yarrawarrah maybe even Cronulla or Wolloware (a little bit more expensive).
Plenty of beaches not too far away and green and leafy.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:21 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

It could buy you this:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/australia...366379366.html

Hey at least an agent was honest - for once!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:20 am
IT Guru

Originally Posted by 007
It could buy you this:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/australia...366379366.html

Hey at least an agent was honest - for once!
The perfect start to a new & better life down under!

looks like Tazmania then.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 10:18 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

The perfect start to a new & better life down under!

looks like Tazmania then.
Funny thing is the word "dump" could be used to describe probably 1/4 of Sydney's real estate around that price and even higher.

There will always be some cashed up immigrant willing to buy them though.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Plenty of decent houses in the Hills, Hornsby and other northern districts for $600K. It's really a matter of how far from amenities you want to live. Some examples of what I'd look at in this price bracket:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1176373914

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1176374263
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:39 pm
IT Guru

Originally Posted by Jacque
Plenty of decent houses in the Hills, Hornsby and other northern districts for $600K. It's really a matter of how far from amenities you want to live. Some examples of what I'd look at in this price bracket:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1176374263
wow, thanks. That gives me some hope

I',m checking more out now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.