Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

$5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:09 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: $5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Megs?
That's what I guessed too, but only after Mrs D mentioned it

Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:45 am
Banned

Bruce_Mawson is a jewel in the roughBruce_Mawson is a jewel in the roughBruce_Mawson is a jewel in the roughBruce_Mawson is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Megs?
Photocopy - who needs that these days?

Last edited by Bruce_Mawson; Jan 27th 2006 at 12:48 am.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Seriously now, making your own bread isn't a bad idea as I've had the supermarket stuff go green on the way back from town! I know I keep bleating on about the place being crap but I now think thats more down to the rural location where you really need to do everything DIY. I was used to services and getting service so its a bit of a shocker what I've actually got. What some people on here don't seem to understand is because its rural you don't get much choice but to be ripped off. Take skip hire for example, I opend the yellow pages and there were 3 pages of skips to hire, but on closer inspection only 2 were within 50k of me and prepared to actually deliver one, when the 1st one fails repeatedly to turn up your left with no choice but to use the one remaining expensive one.

I just want to put some of my posts into perspective, yes I do feel I regularly get ripped off but yes I do know why and yes there really is no alternative. So if anyone is thinking along the rural lines then think very hard about it because you don't realise just what you find important until you don't have it anymore.
Skip hire? If I read your posts correctly you are living on a rural block or larger? If that is the case, why aren't you either burying your rubbish on the property, using it as landfill or recycling it?

It was people like you who were my great (and further back) grandparents who came here and put up with the same problems you are and they had far less resources, I suppose they bitched about what wasn't there but they usually did rather well.

As for the other poster's comments about a breadmaker, forget that toy, get yourself an industrial strength kenwood with a doughhook. You can look forward to (really) fresh bread, fresh criossants, brioches and all sorts of great stuff. And yes you can make all that from flour, the texture of which closely resembles cement, out of a drum rather than the 10kg bag you buy in the supermarket.

I suppose this is like teaching your grandmother to suck eggs but nothing much in life is really that important. As long as you are warm, dry and well fed you are streets in front of about 80% of the planet. And you have far less control over what happens than you like to delude yourself with. For all the crap that we are told, we have a very tenuous grip on what we have here.

I could rabbit on but my wine is getting warm
Old Jan 27th 2006, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bruce_Mawson
Photocopy - who needs that these days?

And here's your confirmation, MrsD!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:07 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ialibu
Skip hire? If I read your posts correctly you are living on a rural block or larger? If that is the case, why aren't you either burying your rubbish on the property, using it as landfill or recycling it?

p
LOL, Yes its 55 acres and I've just filled a 10 tonne skip with old metal and concrete, tyres and you name it rubbish that the previous owner hid all over the land, I can't recycle any of it without a nuclear power plant, and hiding it on the land is what caused me to be in the shit in the first place, So far i've nearly been decapitated twice and nearly lost my arm due to barbed wire and other big lumps of steel getting caught up in the mulcher and slasher and then getting thrown out at 1000 mph in any random direction! If you meant I should get someone else around here to recycle it like a company or something then thats and even bigger laugh. I did seriously consider throwing it all in the river but then the sensible part of my brain kicked in and decided that was a bad idea.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: $5 for an A4 colour photocopy!!

I just can't resist your pom baiting.... Personally I think the Oz education system is a complete waste of the day for the kids that are in it, I mean what did you learn today son? Oh we watched a video of Casper the friendly ghost then the teacher took us all to the aqua golf.

I don't want to start an argument on which system is best as I know which I think is best and to me and the boy thats all that matters. There is a good thread here :- http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349773 that pretty much sums it up for me. That and what I've seen with my own 3 eyes.

So everyone stay calm and just accept that when it comes to education Australia is somwhere ranked alongside Ali G, so big it up for me main man, respetpa to you all and lobby your local MP to get the school system to change to actually teach kids nowledge and how to writ proper like wot I do.
OZTennis dealt with this one quite beautifully, but I don't mind putting the boot in as well.

Far from being ranked "alongside Ali G", Australia actually scores among the highest ranking nations for the quality of her education system - and her private schools are cheaper:

Private schools are competitively priced when compared to schools in Japan, the United Kingdom, the United States, Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong.

An William M. Mercer survey of day school tuition fees charged by secondary schools where expatriate professional and management staff send their children found that Sydney schools were less than one-third the cost of equivalent London and Tokyo schools, and more than 60% cheaper than New York schools.

[...]

Australia is ranked 12th out of 36 countries for the percentage of the population that has attained at least a tertiary level of education (28%), just behind Ireland and ahead of the United Kingdom and Germany (OECD Indicators 2000 Edition).
Source.

Compare with:

A MILLION children are being failed by schools eight years after Tony Blair pledged that education was the Government’s priority, a National Audit Office study indicates today.

The education of almost one in four children at secondary school is at risk of being substandard, the NAO cautions. Some poor schools are taking four years to improve, blighting pupils’ entire secondary education.

Other schools are being closed because they are failing to improve despite total investment of more than £1 billion last year, the independent body says.
Source.

My missus is a teacher, and has worked in the UK education system for nearly ten years. She is more than ready to leave it, and more than happy to do so.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, Yes its 55 acres and I've just filled a 10 tonne skip with old metal and concrete, tyres and you name it rubbish that the previous owner hid all over the land, I can't recycle any of it without a nuclear power plant, and hiding it on the land is what caused me to be in the shit in the first place, So far i've nearly been decapitated twice and nearly lost my arm due to barbed wire and other big lumps of steel getting caught up in the mulcher and slasher and then getting thrown out at 1000 mph in any random direction! If you meant I should get someone else around here to recycle it like a company or something then thats and even bigger laugh. I did seriously consider throwing it all in the river but then the sensible part of my brain kicked in and decided that was a bad idea.
Good God almighty, do you have to be force fed?

Do for yourself what you are agonising over and paying someone else a massive premium to do!

Bury the F^&^ING stuff! And keep the hole open for about 12 months, more shit will surface.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hmmmmm - is that who I think it is?
I hope you are right, Megs has been sorely missed. Put the user name in Google and the first entry suggests an old boy at a school in NZ in the 50's. Would that fit?

I would have expected the user name to fit in with prehistoric Aussie mammals such as this one:

http://www.lostkingdoms.com/facts/factsheet52.htm

OzTennis
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:57 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
And here's your confirmation, MrsD!
Yep, forum will be worth reading again if we are lucky .
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope the mods don't get sucked in again by fuzzy whatsit
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

All we need is PB back and things will really liven up

G
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Let's hope the mods don't get sucked in again by fuzzy whatsit
We just need the Rockers to keep the Mods in their place!

OzTennis
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
We just need the Rockers to keep the Mods in their place!

OzTennis
Boom Boom
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:17 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
All we need is PB back and things will really liven up

G
What for - there are enough boring farts on here already that enjoy cutting & pasting negative media hype without having him back.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jan 27th 2006 at 1:21 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

What for - there are enough boring farts on here already that enjoy cutting & pasting negative media hype .
Ah

You mean all those that love to bash the UK

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.