Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$490 to call out an ambulance

$490 to call out an ambulance

Old Oct 13th 2003, 3:52 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default $490 to call out an ambulance

When we were away in Margaret River my hubby did something to his back. Try as we might my dad and I couldn't get poor hubby into the car!! So we had to call an ambulance.
When they arrived (St. Johns) they seemed to think that seeing my husband paralised against the car was funny, and took great pleasure in trying to guess at how they were going to get him on the stretcher. Whilst hubby was inhaling a pain killing drug, one of the ambulance men accidently leant on the bottle and hubby started choking on it!!! Eventually they managed to get him onto the stretcher and all gace each other 'five' as they hadn't done it that way before.:scared:
Sounds funny looking back now, but imagine these people at a road traffic accident????

We have a bill of $490 for this of which we will get 75% back through Medicare.

Hubby had to stay overnight in hospital which was covered by Medicare but has to have ongoing physio which has so far cost us over $200. Physio isn't covered by Medicare, we were told!!!

Just thought I would share our experiences with you all and advise that maybe Health insurance is the best way to go??
But then on the other hand not so sure? A friend who has had medical insurance to cover such things as braces for his daughters teeth has just been told that they will only pay $600 out of his bill for $4500 (for braces) because he hasn't had the policy long enough!!!! (2 years) So maybe we all need to take out that kind of insurance many years in advance!?
Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Iceblock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $490 to call out an ambulance

Have you thought to take out ambulnce insurance to cover these things. It is about $100 for a family a year as I recall...
Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:30 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Iceblock
Have you thought to take out ambulnce insurance to cover these things. It is about $100 for a family a year as I recall...
Think with the quality of the service I will save my money and use my own transport!!! Now I know why no-one makes it to the hospital and there are so many crosses at the sides of the road
Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:41 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

Ambulance cover is included in the electricity bill of every household in Brisbane (and maybe all of Queensland) and is compulsory. I think it's roughly $50 a year.

Originally posted by Iceblock
Old Oct 13th 2003, 4:48 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by brisnick
Ambulance cover is included in the electricity bill of every household in Brisbane (and maybe all of Queensland) and is compulsory. I think it's roughly $50 a year.
I haven't got my bill on me.. I'm in work, but I had a bill the other day and it was around $16 something cents on thethe electricity bill. this was the first bill with the new ambulance cost on it.

Right a question..
Hubby and some people here with me in work still thinks if we use an ambulance we will still be billed... I say no because we are now paying for it on our electric bill (this is for Queenslanders).
Old Oct 13th 2003, 5:17 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
I haven't got my bill on me.. I'm in work, but I had a bill the other day and it was around $16 something cents on thethe electricity bill. this was the first bill with the new ambulance cost on it.

Right a question..
Hubby and some people here with me in work still thinks if we use an ambulance we will still be billed... I say no because we are now paying for it on our electric bill (this is for Queenslanders).
Ceri, thats correct, in Qld you now pay for for QATB ambulance subscription through your Energex bill as you & Nick suggested. That pays for the emergency part of the ambulance service.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Shite Jane - like you say, sounds funny now but I bet you weren't laughing at the time. Hope he is doing better.

diane
Old Oct 13th 2003, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Janeyray has your husband considered a chiropractor rather than physio ? things dont just happen to your back, better to find the cause.

I use Adam Rocchi from Spine.scan 45 Royal Street, East Perth phone 9221 0402 and hes excellent, uses computer technology rather than the bump and crunch technique.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Hope hubby is on the mend Jane. What a nightmare, sounds like you would have been better off calling a limousine service to lay him out!

A free ambulance service is another thing I took for granted in England, interesting to hear about Queensland's ambulance cover, good idea, I'd be happy to pay it.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 6:59 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

$62.40 for annual couple ambulance insurance in NSW
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Jane, I hope he's back on his feet again and not in too much pain.

Everyone else

does anyone have any advice re health insurane and ideas of costs for a family of 4, or can anyone recomend some web sites to browse on the subject

Lynn
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:25 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The above quote was from www.medibank.com.au . No idea what they are like.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Thanks Bondi

Just something to give us an idea of how things work is a help.

Lynn
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Lynn as bondi mentioned try medibank or one of these others.

MBF Australia
NIB Health Fund
HBA Insurance

We are with HBA, nothing particularly to write home about, but then its part of Dagboys salary package.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Try basic ambulance cover directly thru whoever is the local provider (if not in states where it's on the utility bills). In Victoria it's www.ambulance-vic.com.au.

Don't forget nothing's free in the UK. You just don't get a choice - you pay whopping NI payments for it, several times more than Medicare.

Sorry about the rant - just get a bit sick of hearing complaints about having to pay for stuff that's 'free' in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.