Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$42 billion Stimulus Package

$42 billion Stimulus Package

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:05 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $42 billion Stimulus Package

Originally Posted by markallwood
Personally I think that it will help the economy.
The last one didn't. Why will this be different?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
$4750 for me, Kerching!
How did you work that out so quickly?

Is there a calculator? Is there, is there?!
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, I don't believe any of that to be true. The Government ahs not announced any distinction (to the best of my knowledge) between people on different visa types nor or their intended longevity in Australia. The rules are reasonably clear and relate to income and Family Tax benefit eligibility.

I don't think that people with temp visas will be eligible, this is intended for people who live in Australia long term.
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
The last one didn't. Why will this be different?
Not sure how you have come to this conclusion.

If your line of thinking is "well the economy got worse after the handouts, so therefore they didn't help" - well that logic is pretty flawed.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:12 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how you have come to this conclusion.

If your line of thinking is "well the economy got worse after the handouts, so therefore they didn't help" - well that logic is pretty flawed.
Nope, it was reported as not having much impact. I would never presume to make such a simplistic assumption based upon a general state of affairs.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
How did you work that out so quickly?

Is there a calculator? Is there, is there?!
Well, $950 each for me and the Mrs as we both earn less than 100k.

Plus $950 each for the three kids "Back to school" bonus, but according to a post here that might just be for people on benefits so it could be $1900
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gems
I looked on treasurey website.

It says you need to be getting benefits for the school bonus's etc.

But the one off $950 relating to income, just says you must be resident for tax last year to get the $950 and earning less than $100k. No mention of visa status or need to be getting benefits.
Sounds promising

Ive got a tricky situation now as in May last year I was paid a bonus from our UK office for work I did there in 2007 which bumps me over the $100k limit, it was paid through the Australian office (so I paid Aussie tax on it) and reimbursed from the UK so technically it wasnt part of my Aussie wage. Better go to see my accountant for his comments on whether im eligible or not
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:14 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
With respect, I don't believe any of that to be true. The Government ahs not announced any distinction (to the best of my knowledge) between people on different visa types nor or their intended longevity in Australia. The rules are reasonably clear and relate to income and Family Tax benefit eligibility.
Here's the relevant section of the announcement:

Tax Bonus for Working Australians

The Government will provide an up-front, lump-sum tax bonus of up to $950 to around 8.7 million Australian workers earning $100,000 or less.

A lump-sum payment of up to $950 will be made to eligible taxpayers from April 2009. The bonus will be available to Australian resident taxpayers who paid tax in the 2007-08 financial year after taking into account available tax offsets and credits.

The bonus is subject to an income threshold test which determines that a:

* $950 bonus will be paid to eligible taxpayers with a taxable income of up to and including $80,000;
* $650 bonus will paid to eligible taxpayers with taxable incomes exceeding $80,000 and up to $90,000; and
* $300 bonus will be paid to eligible taxpayers with incomes exceeding $90,000 up to and including $100,000.

Taxpayers will not need to apply for the payment. The Australian Taxation Office will automatically make the payment after determining eligibility.
It can be interpreted both ways. But thinking about it, if you received the $1,000 bonus back in December and you were on a Temp visa.... then you are probably right, it is not dependent on visa status. Merely on "tax resident" status.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:15 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Nope, it was reported as not having much impact. I would never presume to make such a simplistic assumption based upon a general state of affairs.
fair enough - sorry mate, I didn't mean to imply anything.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

OK hadnt realised it was individuals, had assumed it was household income
that means we'll get two lots then as well - even better
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a problem. Fine print now saying payment is actually only 300, 650 or 950 depending on how much below 100k you are.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

Dear kev

I have been living here for 3 yrs on a 457 ,i have always admired you and think you are doing a great job for this country ,is it possible us less fortunate people on a temp visa can have the handout too ?

Best wishes

Stewmac

ps If we cant...then your a w@nker
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Plus $950 each for the three kids "Back to school" bonus, but according to a post here that might just be for people on benefits so it could be $1900
Are you sure'll get $950? It seems to be stepped.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
OK hadnt realised it was individuals, had assumed it was household income
that means we'll get two lots then as well - even better

I might join one of those religions that has several spouses and 64 children

Ruddism - woman requires 17 husbands and another 61 children
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Are you sure'll get $950? It seems to be stepped.
Yes, me and the mrs are both on less than $80k individually and combined.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.