Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$42 billion Stimulus Package

$42 billion Stimulus Package

Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice
Default Re: $42 billion Stimulus Package

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I banged off an email to the PM, and Channel 7, suggesting something like that.

These $950 payments total about $12billion., even if they cut them down to $850 each, and gave just $100 from each, to the Bushfire fund, there would be an immediate $1 billion available to the fund.

These payments are intended to be spent creating work etc.
Well, nature has given us something to spend some of it on, and create that work.

They need builders etc down there, to rebuild how many homes?, how many public buildings?, etc etc.
They are appealing for donations from the public, to be able to help.

Common sense says, reduce the $950 by a figure needed to fix this up, and use it now.
Then talk about the balance in a few days after things calm down a bit.

But that's common sense, we are talking about politicians here....

So long as it is used to make houses more fire resistant and build suitable fire breaks. Not just rebuild houses in the same place. Also I hear that one person was fined $50,000 for clearing an illegal firebreak around his house.
It survived the fires.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:33 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Note, I didn't state that I earnt $150k. Rather, I pointed out that a family with a single earner with income of $150k pays $15kpa MORE in tax than a family with two incomes of $75k each.

I picked these particular salaries as earners on $75k get the maximum handout under the stimulus package and a single earner on $150k receives no benefits of any kind, including not receiving any child care tax rebate or the "back to school" handout.

The two families have the same GROSS income but significantly different NET incomes (in that the single high earner family gets some $15k a year less).

Originally Posted by flower33
$150,000 i wish i earnt that much, i woudnt need the tax break!

Hubby and i earn less than $100,000 a year, i work way more ours than i would chose but i am not complaining, i have a job, alot of others dont. My 2 children have to go into vacation care everytime there is a school holiday, i dont like it but i need to work, i dont have the luxury of being a home mum!.

You earn more than most!, hence why you pay more tax, dont like it change to a lower pay job, then see how long you would last!

Last edited by jayr; Feb 15th 2009 at 9:39 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:54 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Note, I didn't state that I earnt $150k. Rather, I pointed out that a family with a single earner with income of $150k pays $15kpa MORE in tax than a family with two incomes of $75k each.

I picked these particular salaries as earners on $75k get the maximum handout under the stimulus package and a single earner on $150k receives no benefits of any kind, including not receiving any child care tax rebate or the "back to school" handout.

The two families have the same GROSS income but significantly different NET incomes (in that the single high earner family gets some $15k a year less).
There is no point trying to justify or work it out - its lunacy. Just like last time - when the last economic package was executed the opposition asked Rudd's team for the 'modelling' of the impact - the answer - they didnt have any.... They really did just take a guess.

Great eh. What a great motivator to get the citizenship forms finished so we can vote this single-status leadership team out, they want the whole country at a single status- ie dependant on handouts.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spalen

Great eh. What a great motivator to get the citizenship forms finished so we can vote this single-status leadership team out, they want the whole country at a single status- ie dependant on handouts.

I already got mine.
Can't wait.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 12:19 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I'm quite certain we won't be getting it. Too bad, if we did I would go out and buy a new stovetop & oven. I would like to replace it but since it still works I can't really justify spending the money.

Oh well, I just hope everyone else does something useful with theirs.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by comet555
Oh well, I just hope everyone else does something useful with theirs.
Just like the last time, a lot of people will just pay down the mortgage a bit.
And that will be no help to the economy.

I don't know what I will do with ours, I bought what we wanted with the last handout.

Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:24 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Just like the last time, a lot of people will just pay down the mortgage a bit.
And that will be no help to the economy.

I don't know what I will do with ours, I bought what we wanted with the last handout.
At least the mortgage would bit more useful then gambling, doesn't really help stimulate anything though.

I'm fairly against it myself, but it is what it is I guess. A few of my Aussie friends will be happy to get the money but they don't agree with the whole thing either. Several of my friends will definitely not be spending the money. They will be saving the money because they have either recently lost jobs or are afraid they will be soon. I imagine quite a few people now would fall into that category.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:07 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
IIm lucky we stay a float on hubby's income which i may add is less than $100,000 a year.

Stay afloat on $100,000 a year................I would be bloody walking on water! LOL
Yeh but i didnt say how much less did i i also never said it was 100,000 i wish!! I dont want to tell a public forum how much my husband earns but we manage on his earnings he works hard for it we hardly see him some weeks but needs must, we do ok.

Last edited by kez81; Feb 16th 2009 at 3:14 am.