Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$40k enough in Adelaide?

$40k enough in Adelaide?

Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: $40k enough in Adelaide?

Feeling much better today
and realize it`s still do able and have also took off me rose tinted glasses, silly me
We will get what we ant one day, just have to work at it, as you do with anything in life that you want
Once again thanks everyone
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gjs
Wendy,how do you manage on $150 per week for food?We are a family of four two adults,two kids that eat like sparrows,and ours is usually around $275.I cook pretty much everything from scratch and get the specials as well as eating what's in season...so where am i going wrong?What sort of things do you buy-and where do yiou buy it?
Diane
We spend about that or less for 3. But do buy beef at $5 a kilo and I find theres nothing wrong with 99c bread! Misses shops at coles/woolies.

Plus booze I should add

Last edited by Gjn200; Feb 8th 2008 at 7:25 am.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xzibit
Will a single person with no kids survive in ADL on $40k?
Anyone? I know I'm young and don't have a family, but I didn't think I was invisible?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

well it seems it`s justabout do able for a family with 3 kids should be ok for you, Im sure someone with more knowledge will give some info soon
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjs
Wendy,how do you manage on $150 per week for food?We are a family of four two adults,two kids that eat like sparrows,and ours is usually around $275.I cook pretty much everything from scratch and get the specials as well as eating what's in season...so where am i going wrong?What sort of things do you buy-and where do yiou buy it?
Diane
I dunno really. It just works out at that. I will have to save my receipt next time I go. I usually get most of it from Woolworths in Mawson Lakes.

Originally Posted by xzibit
Anyone? I know I'm young and don't have a family, but I didn't think I was invisible?
I've no idea, but I'd give it a damn good go if it were me.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:23 am
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all

oops starting to worry now i thought we would have been quite comfortable with me making $65K. To support a family of four reading this thread has given me real big doubts about continuing with our plans to emigrate at all.

steve
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevelaird
oops starting to worry now i thought we would have been quite comfortable with me making $65K. To support a family of four reading this thread has given me real big doubts about continuing with our plans to emigrate at all.

steve
Hi Steve, what most people seem to be saying is it`s enough or thereabouts to start off with, with pay raises, better job offers etc, once your there, theres room to improve and then buy the big houses etc. Thats how I`m looking at it anyway.
"All good things come to he who waits " (or works damn hard for it)
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevelaird

steve
I personally think $80k household income is the minimum requirement to live comfortably with the average mortgage and to save enough to retire on.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

happyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the rough

We have a boy of 18 and a girl of 5 and moved to Adelaide last year.

After selling our house and clearing all our debts we were left with about 80k sterling. We rented in the North East suburbs (Wynn Vale) for the first year and our rent was $320 for a 4 bedroom house.

We bought one new 3 piece suite, and had the one from England bought over. Bought everything else here Tv, fridge, beds, etc etc and a second hand car for $10k. So in all about 65k sterling was left in our account in the UK.

Watched the exchange rate everyday but missed the surge when it reached 2.55...:curse: Waited like a prat for it to get back to that level but it just fell. Exchanged 61k sterling at a rate of 2.25, which gave us just under $138k.

This was used along with the $7k first time home buyers allowance for a deposit on our house, a 3 bedroom in Wynn Vale.

I take home $580 a week and my wife slighty more, our mortgage is $220 a week. Both kids go to a private school, although my son has now left. We dont get out much, but enjoy a nice drop of chardonnay on the old veranda.

We are debt free (apart from the mortgage) and haven't regretted the move one bit.

Good luck on what ever you choose to do.