Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$40k enough in Adelaide?

$40k enough in Adelaide?

Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $40k enough in Adelaide?

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
So WHAT do you do with that extra $9.59 !!!! each bloody week !!!

SHOES I BET !!

Ah, but we earn more than $40k more like $75 this year.

If we only earnt $40k, then I wouldn't have a mortgage or 2 cars. Simple as that really. Live to your means and you can manage on anything - I always have done. Of course, no-one wants to just manage, but sometimes there's not much choice and if I were to be skint, I'd rather be skint here than in the UK

(I don't do shoes, only have two pairs )
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:46 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Must agree Wendypoooooos

Same situation, different countries, I would choose here !!!

So to the OP, get the overtime booked in !!!

Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:19 am
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
Wendy! You're a Star!!!
All your threads are informative, realistic and optimistic!
Irish Gal.
You read my mind irish gal i was going to post a very simlar post.You are a star wendy and i love ur very encouraging, inspiring and informative posts xxx
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will ), but I thought you couldn't claim any type of help for at least 2 years ???

Also, when I watched 'Wanted Down Under' Nadia was banging on about Adelaide being the cheapest place in Oz and that a family of 3 could live on 20K a year comfortably, was this a bit of a crock do you think ?

Doesn't sound like you can to me !!!!

Thanks
Donna.
x

Last edited by DEEDEE01; Feb 7th 2008 at 11:43 am.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

thanks guys, you all have been so helpful.
I will be working but not for the first couple of months.
so hopefully we will get around $60k and that should be ok.... ish
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
Wendy! You're a Star!!!
All your threads are informative, realistic and optimistic!
Irish Gal.

HAVE TO AGREE WHAT HELPFUL INFO I HAVE GOT FROM YOU AND ON HERE FROM EVERYBODY MANY THANKS
KARENX
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:25 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Thanks for joining me in my parallel universe, was thinking I was the only one here

Here's my fornightly outgoings based on a $225k mortgage, 2 cars, house with pool (and kids who don't turn out lights ), 2 adults and 2 kids.

Works out at $790.41 per week.
We have run a pretty detailed cash flow forecast over the last few years which I would say has been pretty well tweaked by now and covers everything.

Wendys figures (and the details provided) are pretty much bang on here.

From this and other postings it really does highlight the fact that for typical expenses of 1500 p.m and typical mortgage of approx 1500 p.m., that requires a min household income of approx $60k per annum to cover.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

Well its been a long day, we just had a big talk and feel that we will not be any better off in Oz and it now hangs in the balance
Im looking at the, buy land and build option but still we cant afford too much only about $50k for land and about $100 for the build. Is this just silly? Not a lot to play with and the land for that price in SA (realestate.com) seems to be out in the middle of no where
I feel totaly gutted and very stupid for being soooooooooooooo nieve.
The thought of having to live where we do now depresses me no end
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:22 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomgrrl
Well its been a long day, we just had a big talk and feel that we will not be any better off in Oz and it now hangs in the balance
Im looking at the, buy land and build option but still we cant afford too much only about $50k for land and about $100 for the build. Is this just silly? Not a lot to play with and the land for that price in SA (realestate.com) seems to be out in the middle of no where
Slow down missy! Its not all about the financial side of things. You may not be better off financially if you come here but lifestyle wise I'd say you definitely would be. It takes time to build up a larger income. When we first got here almost 2 years ago hubby was on a basic wage of $42k - hes now had quite a few pay rises and is on something like $52k now. With overtime last year he earned $95k and is well on his way to exceeding that this year. Dont give up on it. Find out how much you'll get from Centrelink - that will make a big difference to your income and initially (until you're working) that could be your free cash each week.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Slow down missy! Its not all about the financial side of things. You may not be better off financially if you come here but lifestyle wise I'd say you definitely would be. It takes time to build up a larger income. When we first got here almost 2 years ago hubby was on a basic wage of $42k - hes now had quite a few pay rises and is on something like $52k now. With overtime last year he earned $95k and is well on his way to exceeding that this year. Dont give up on it. Find out how much you'll get from Centrelink - that will make a big difference to your income and initially (until you're working) that could be your free cash each week.
You are right and theres always rented accom
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:56 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

You are right and theres always rented accom
Exactly! We're in rented accom and will stay that way until we can afford to buy (which will prob mean moving to a cheaper area). Thats all good though
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:58 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: $40k enough in Adelaide?

Read this with alot of interest...
im hoping koh will earn $45 - $50k then more with OT of course...
(although he keeps telling me i should go to work ft as i'll earn more than him )
we have 4 kids - not 100% at the mo that 4th will stay but he will validate at least...
not bringing a fortune - but we dont live on a fortune here - we're used to living by our means - we just want to try out those means elsewhere...

thanks Wendy for keeping it sane and within our reach....
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01
Hi All,

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will ), but I thought you couldn't claim any type of help for at least 2 years ???

Also, when I watched 'Wanted Down Under' Nadia was banging on about Adelaide being the cheapest place in Oz and that a family of 3 could live on 20K a year comfortably, was this a bit of a crock do you think ?

Thanks
Donna.
x
Nadia, OMG is that show still on, it was a load of hollocks the first time round 20k a year yes that would comfortably cover our food and petrol, nothing else tho.

Centerlink, yes plenty claim straight away, be aware tho at the end of the year Centerlink has access to all your details and your payments are adjusted to what you actually earnt, be a bit wary of going in and claiming the lot upfront the adjustment is often a bill for overpayment.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01
Hi All,

Thanks
Donna.
x
You can't claim unemployment, sick or that sort of thing, but you can claim help for raising a family.

As for wanted down under, well don't believe everything you see on there. Income wise is depends what you want out of it, if you are intending to rent then £20k would probably be OK, but you wouldn't have a luxurious lifestyle.

thanks guys, you all have been so helpful.
I will be working but not for the first couple of months.
so hopefully we will get around $60k and that should be ok.... ish
I know lots of people that only earn that and get on just fine with it.

Not sure what you'll get for that, but there are newer area's popping up all the time and land is a bit cheaper there. You just might have to start at the bottom that's all and work your way up from there. If you build a small brand new house somewhere then sell it as soon as you can and build another you'll eventually get what you want

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Yeah, my OH has had lots of payrises since he started work, his income has gone up from $50k basic to $65k basic in a year. Plus there's all the overtime which puts another $10k on top, more if he wanted it.

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Read this with alot of interest...
im hoping koh will earn $45 - $50k then more with OT of course...
(although he keeps telling me i should go to work ft as i'll earn more than him )
we have 4 kids - not 100% at the mo that 4th will stay but he will validate at least...
not bringing a fortune - but we dont live on a fortune here - we're used to living by our means - we just want to try out those means elsewhere...

thanks Wendy for keeping it sane and within our reach....
That was my attitude mate, if you want it bad enough then you can make anything work
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:04 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Thanks for joining me in my parallel universe, was thinking I was the only one here

Here's my fornightly outgoings based on a $225k mortgage, 2 cars, house with pool (and kids who don't turn out lights ), 2 adults and 2 kids.

Food $ 300.00
Mortgage $ 806.00
Electricity $ 50.00
Gas $ 25.00
Phone $ 30.00
Mobiles $ 40.00
Health $ 30.00
Life $ 46.51
Rego (G) $ 25.31
Rego (M) $ 25.31
Rates $ 30.77
Water $ 19.23
School $ 10.00
School $ 6.92
Buildings $ 9.62
Contents $ 10.77
Car $ 15.38
Petrol $100
TOTAL: $1,580.82

Works out at $790.41 per week.
Wendy,how do you manage on $150 per week for food?We are a family of four two adults,two kids that eat like sparrows,and ours is usually around $275.I cook pretty much everything from scratch and get the specials as well as eating what's in season...so where am i going wrong?What sort of things do you buy-and where do yiou buy it?
Diane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.