Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$40k enough in Adelaide?

$40k enough in Adelaide?

Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $40k enough in Adelaide?

Originally Posted by milly123

Is this like family tax credit, where it goes of income etc.
i think you can take it as a tax break or have it as a weekly income but i might be wrong as i dont get it
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
- Wendy has quoted for 5 kids I think but you've only got 3?

I would prob look at hubby asking if overtime is available.
It said family of 5, and I'm thinking family of 5 kids It's early and I've got a lot on my plate just now.

FTB ? , what is this.
I get something that's the same as child benefit, the same as the uk one. in the uk i think i got about 72 pounds a month, here i get something i claimed back at the end of the yr, which i think was about $400.
FTB is family Tax Benefit, and it's means tested.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I've amended the FTB figure in my other post
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy
It said family of 5, and I'm thinking family of 5 kids It's early and I've got a lot on my plate just now.

FTB is family Tax Benefit, and it's means tested.
ok, thought i was missing out on something.

Is the meet tomorrow, or next fri and where, i carn't find the post.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:30 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I've amended the FTB figure in my other post
Well done missus Dont do it again ok!!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok, thought i was missing out on something.

Is the meet tomorrow, or next fri and where, i carn't find the post.
It's next friday at Hotel Richmond - Rundle Mall at 10:30 I think

The link is in my signature

Well done missus Dont do it again ok!!

I'll try not to
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

It's next friday at Hotel Richmond - Rundle Mall at 10:30 I think

The link is in my signature

I'll try not to
Thank's i would have been sat at starbuck's
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pomgrrl, can I ask what sort of money you live on now? Is it comparable to what you will be getting here? Have you got any money to bring with you? You don't need to answer them on here, just think about it.

I think if it is, then you will already be aware that it won't be easy. It's not a sustainable living amount, but it can be done for a short while until you get settled.

Thank's i would have been sat at starbuck's

I'd have come and got you I've bumped the thread
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pomgrrl, can I ask what sort of money you live on now? Is it comparable to what you will be getting here? Have you got any money to bring with you? You don't need to answer them on here, just think about it.

I think if it is, then you will already be aware that it won't be easy. It's not a sustainable living amount, but it can be done for a short while until you get settled.

I'd have come and got you I've bumped the thread

Thank you
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived in Adelaide 8 months ago, we were a family of 4 with one income of $40k. It was nearly impossible to pay our rent ($280/wk), groceries ($200/wk) and put petrol in the car for me to get to work ($40/wk) and pay the extras that come up - insurance, prescriptions, day out, school fees, etc.

Really, if you can get to work part time earning $20k that would help a lot. We quite easily paid much more than $200 per week for food, and with 3 kids instead of 2 you will too. You should budget at least $300 per week for your food bill plus you will need a larger house than we had and would probably appreciate a better suburb, so rent will be more, too. I would say budget about $325-350 per week for rent.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:28 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pomgrrl
getting really scared with one thing and another but mainly worried that we will have low wage and not be able to survive
OH will brining in about $40k pa and my part time work poss $20k
(OH forklift driver/storeperson me elderly carer)
Im not going to working fo awhile so wondered if we could manage on $40k in Adelaide for a family of 5??
Also keep this trend in mind...

Adelaide units surged by 32.58% in 2007
http://www.yourmortgage.com.au/news/2026/default.aspx

House values jumped 26% in the same period in Adelaide.
Unfortunately, every month that passes before you get here, it's getting more expensive.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

Sorry folks wasnt very clear in OP, we have three kids, but my eldest is in Uni here in the UK,and will be for abit (he won`t` be coming with us), the other two are 14 and 16,
My 16yr old would like to have a job, weekends, when shes not in school, if she does that hopefully she won`t be asking for money left, right and centre
So really theres only four of us, me OH and 2 teenagers.
We are now living on the equivalent of $40k in the UK, paying a mortgage etc and ok we dont live in luxury but we get by, child tax for 1 child and working tax of less than £100 A YEAR!!
I have Australian citizenship, OH and kids going on spouse visa, been together 17 years and married with kids, good possibility that we will get PR with the visa. Fingers crossed.
will be bringing £50k in savings from sale of house, when it sells!!

Last edited by pomgrrl; Feb 7th 2008 at 6:04 am.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pomgrrl
Sorry folks wasnt very clear in OP, we have three kids, but my eldest is in Uni here in the UK,and will be for abit (he won`t` be coming with us), the other two are 14 and 16,
My 16yr old would like to have a job, weekends, when shes not in school, if she does that hopefully she won`t be asking for money left, right and centre
So really theres only four of us, me OH and 2 teenagers.
We are now living on the equivalent of $40k in the UK, paying a mortgage etc and ok we dont live in luxury but we get by, child tax for 1 child and working tax of less than £100 A YEAR!!
I have Australian citizenship, OH and kids going on spouse visa, been together 17 years and married with kids, good possibility that we will get PR with the visa. Fingers crossed.
Ah, that changes quite a lot then.

As an Australian Citizen you will be entitled to all the benefits any other Aussie Citizen is, so get yourself down to Centrelink when you get here.
You'll get full FTB for both kids if they are at school, it's $5595 for the 14 year old and more for the 16 year old, so over $11k for both. You'll also get help with school fees and all the rest of it.

My opinion is, if you are used to living on the equivalent of that amount now, then I can't see why you can't here - it's not that much different in COL terms.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:11 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion is, if you are used to living on the equivalent of that amount now, then I can't see why you can't here - it's not that much different in COL terms.
I would disagree sorry Wendy - when you consider that our 'basic' outgoings per week are around $750 - $800 per week and we are just a family of 3 - its going to be a real struggle (IMO).

I find most things here to be more expensive than the UK and to be 'comfortable' here I really think you need to be looking at a minimum of $60k. We started off on $42k basic and a take home pay of $750 per week was just ridiculous (and we're certainly not used to a luxurious life either - very basic and I shop around for the cheapest of everything!).

Sorry its not what you wanted to hear
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I would disagree sorry Wendy - when you consider that our 'basic' outgoings per week are around $750 - $800 per week and we are just a family of 3 - its going to be a real struggle (IMO).

I find most things here to be more expensive than the UK and to be 'comfortable' here I really think you need to be looking at a minimum of $60k. We started off on $42k basic and a take home pay of $750 per week was just ridiculous (and we're certainly not used to a luxurious life either - very basic and I shop around for the cheapest of everything!).

Sorry its not what you wanted to hear
I think the minimum household income to have a comfortable but basic lifestyle and to save enough for retirement is $80k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.