Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$3009 (1250 GBP) average monthly mortgage

$3009 (1250 GBP) average monthly mortgage

Old May 30th 2007, 10:04 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $3009 (1250 GBP) average monthly mortgage

We paid $140k for 2.5 acres block 20k's from the CBD 5/6 years back, the good old days

Where did you find that Vim?

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I've never been to Perth (my wife liked her time there though) but a year ago we bought a 4 acre 3-bedroom property within 45 minutes of Brisbane CBD (on a good day) for $315,000 ... seemed pretty good value to me having searched around for a year.

Of course if you want to live closer to the action and don't feel the need to get up close and personal with chickens then your mileage may differ.
Old May 30th 2007, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
That is about what we were paying in the UK after 10 years. But we are paying about half that at the moment and that is with paying extra to clear it early.

The median house price is approaching $500K so for a first time buyer with little deposit that sounds about right. I have sympathy for youngsters looking to get in the market today. With average incomes at around $60K (say $4K take home per month) you need two incomes to buy an average house. But you could say the same in most of the developed world these days.
Bang on. I take home (single income - not stellar salary)about $4500 and our mortgage is $1250. It was $1000 but we decided to borrow to do a few things.

House was $1/3M, we paid 2/3 as a deposit.

I can sleep at nights quite well. I don't know how people can sleep.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
payment in Perth now.

WOW!!!

Can everybody please respond whether you live in Perth or not and say whether that would be difficult for you?

Thanks
I'm on a relativley high salary for Perth and that would bugger us, with just me working, the wife would have to go out to work which defeats the all reasons for being here.
Old May 30th 2007, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Our mortgage in principle in Sydney is $670k which equates to a $500k pcm repayment.
Old May 30th 2007, 11:03 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a presentation on Monday about affordable housing in Perth. The presenter reckoned once mortgage or rent payments exceed 30% of the monthly income problems are more likely to arise within a family, ie divorce, alcohol abuse etc etc...
Old May 31st 2007, 1:41 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by knoydart
That sounds about the price we would like to pay but dont think theres much for that now.
45 mins to CBD not to bad it takes my partner that @ the mom to cross dundee to her work.
Well, it's 45 minutes on a good day ... or more precisely, night

Realistically it's 60 minutes to 90 on a typical commute.

Just had a search around and the cheapest in our area appears to be $380K, there are a few nice looking properties with around 3 acres hovering around $400K.

It's a minefield, I'm sure glad we aren't looking any more.
Old May 31st 2007, 1:44 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
We paid $140k for 2.5 acres block 20k's from the CBD 5/6 years back, the good old days

Where did you find that Vim?
It's sort of Buccan area ... ish ... on the border of Logan and Beaudesert anyway ... apparently it's going to be a boom area ... if it was handy for the trains or had a decent bus service then it wouldn't be as nice as it is, that's for sure.

No, on second thoughts, it's crap - there are no decent restaurants, the locals are feral and I can't get a bag of Twiglets for love nor money .... stay away
Old May 31st 2007, 2:02 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hubbard
Our mortgage in principle in Sydney is $670k which equates to a $500k pcm repayment.
You should finish paying for it next month then at that repayment rate
Old May 31st 2007, 2:55 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

To buy a house in Sydney we were looking at a $450k mortgage. The repayments (approx 3k per month) would have been fine on two salaries but the worry would always be how we'd cope if we went down to one salary. I didn't fancy the idea much of lying in bed worrying about losing our house...

On a related point, the banks were prepared to lend us up to $1.25m. Which would have equated to outrageous monthly repayments, leaving us with no money for food, clothing, heating, light, water...
Old May 31st 2007, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

opps meant $5K per month, not $500K.
Old May 31st 2007, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
payment in Perth now.

WOW!!!

Can everybody please respond whether you live in Perth or not and say whether that would be difficult for you?

Thanks
$1900 a month and thats plenty, thank you
Old May 31st 2007, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by framac
$1900 a month and thats plenty, thank you
Our is $1200 a month. Thats interest and principal. We are on track to be mortgage free in about 10 years. Paid $500,000 for house, now valued at about $650,000.
Intend staying here until the boys have moved on, then will down size.
Old May 31st 2007, 12:28 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

christ I think I'd have a heart attack with that!

we still own in the UK (13 years left to go on mortgage, £500 a month, about 70% equity) and is rented out at almost double that per month

and we're buying out here - we'll probably up the UK mortgage to put down a decent deposit here as the interest rates here are far more, but we should be able to buy a very nice 3/4 bed probably with pool in St Lucia for £250k. Mortgage would probably be in the region of £750 - £800pm on a 20 year term.

but - we get paid as expats with housing allowance .... wonder if we can take the allowance and pay it towards our mortgage! (I'm guessing not!)
Old May 31st 2007, 9:19 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I'd say thats about spot on - we're an hour West of Sydney and its about the same here. Hence the reason we're in rented now and probably will be FOREVER!!!

No way in the world we could afford that.
Old May 31st 2007, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Same for home buyers in South east qld, our kids would be in a similar postion, say son wanted to buy a house looking at $400,000 +. Thats currently about 18 times his annual income, once qualified would still be 10 X annual gross income

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.