Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$223 Dentist checkup & clean expensive?

$223 Dentist checkup & clean expensive?

Old May 2nd 2011, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

tramway will become famous soon enoughtramway will become famous soon enough
Question $223 Dentist checkup & clean expensive?

Hi,

Is $223 expensive for a dentist checkup & clean in Sydney suburbs?
Seems so to me but not had to see one until now so don't know what it should cost.

Thanks
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $223 Dentist checkup & clean expensive?

Originally Posted by tramway
Hi,

Seems so to me but not had to see one until now so don't know what it should cost.

Thanks
Up here the husband was recently charged $180 for the same. Sydney suburbs could be more expensive.
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Up here the husband was recently charged $180 for the same. Sydney suburbs could be more expensive.
About $180 is what we pay for a local dentist in a local shopping centre. The more prestigious the surroundings the higher the price. Stay well away from CBD dentists.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:11 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I have Medibank full extras cover and get 2 free scale and polishes and check ups a year. Last time I had scale and polish, xrays and a follow up appointment and it didnt cost me a cent.

Just for the extras covers alone its worthwhile for us and I got a nice pair of glasses from Specsavers - designer ones and they cost me $100 - that was it, Medibank covered the rest.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have Medibank full extras cover and get 2 free scale and polishes and check ups a year. Last time I had scale and polish, xrays and a follow up appointment and it didnt cost me a cent.

Just for the extras covers alone its worthwhile for us and I got a nice pair of glasses from Specsavers - designer ones and they cost me $100 - that was it, Medibank covered the rest.
Yes, Medibank pays for my check-ups as well. Interestingly they didn't cover the full cost of an extraction. I got an emergency appointment last Friday afternoon and expected to get antibiotics for yet another infection. The dentist said my wisdom tooth was the cause of the problem and it had to go. Five minutes later it had. Total cost $123 but Medibank only paid $83. And I still have to take the antibiotics.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:28 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I had one done today actually and also had a tooth filed. It was $150....
Interested to know how much the extras charge is.

BTW, This is Mellie prices, so would imagine Sydney is a bit dearer?
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

It certainly is expensive, but will you get it any cheaper ? I doubt it

Dentistry is a license to print money in Australia, but apart from pulling it yourself you have no option.

Stu
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:02 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tramway
Hi,

Thanks
F me. For that sort of money for a checkup, I'd want him to check up, service and wash my car as well !
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of

Same thing costs me about $100 on the Sunny Coast
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:32 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

When we had private health I went to 7 Day Dental in Chatswood for general check-ups. I didn't pay a thing then so couldn't tell you what it would cost without insurance, but I would think they're reasonable so worth looking up.

(Now we have Medicare, I go to Singapore )
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:49 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

$289 for clean and check-up last week. And I'm back off to him at 11.30 for a couple of fillings. Then to remortgage the house.....
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
When we had private health I went to 7 Day Dental in Chatswood for general check-ups. I didn't pay a thing then so couldn't tell you what it would cost without insurance, but I would think they're reasonable so worth looking up.

(Now we have Medicare, I go to Singapore )
where about in chatwood, if dont mind sharing the name of your dentist to me, I need to go to one very soon & I'm very close to Chatswood.x
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Cheers all,

Haven't got private cover, got recommended this dentist so was shocked when I booked the appt for the 2 of us, it will be $446 just to say "aah".

Always went every 6 mtns back home (you all know how cheap NHS dental is) but had put it on the long finger here with one thing and another until now.
No wonder there are so many Ozzies with front teeth missing, all makes sense to me now.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
It certainly is expensive, but will you get it any cheaper ? I doubt it

Dentistry is a license to print money in Australia, but apart from pulling it yourself you have no option.

Stu
I had a filling last year and it was $400, I knew it was a bad sign when I walked in and there were the latest apple macs for "kids" to play on in reception whilst waiting for their parents. I couldn't believe the $400 as I had phoned and was quoted around $180, but what can you do, at least the pain of the tooth went. Hard to argue when your have a numb mouth and dribble running down your chin And while it was nice to watch tv while having my tooth filled I would much prefer the old waiting room with the dodgy fish tank and the tooth decay posters of my childhood and pay nothing!

My parents dentist in the UK is an aussie and he can't believe the prices we get charged over here...
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Anyone used or heard any comment on Noble Dentist???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.