Reload this Page >

$2000 to open HSBC account?

$2000 to open HSBC account?

Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: $2000 to open HSBC account?

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Thanks.

Not often you hear of a tax being deleted, is it? Especially down under!
Hi, it isnt as bad here as people make out. When the GST was introduced at 10%, there was a lot of fuss about it, but little mention about abolishing Sales tax, which was as high as 30% on a lot of things, and 20% on a lot more.

So, there are swings and roundabouts as always.

Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Hi, it isnt as bad here as people make out. When the GST was introduced at 10%, there was a lot of fuss about it, but little mention about abolishing Sales tax, which was as high as 30% on a lot of things, and 20% on a lot more.

So, there are swings and roundabouts as always.
Very true. On the other hand, didn't the GST go onto a lot of things that weren't previously taxed? Housing?
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Very true. On the other hand, didn't the GST go onto a lot of things that weren't previously taxed? Housing?
Hence the $7,000 first home owners grant.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
Hence the $7,000 first home owners grant.
And I think they changed the income tax levels as well, to compensate the lower paid.
The end result being that it was mainly the better paid, or the "High Spenders", that ended up paying a higher share. At least that was the theory.
I know some people who previously didn't pay much tax, but they can't always get out of the 10% GST added to the restaurant bills etc these days !

Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:40 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

And I think they changed the income tax levels as well, to compensate the lower paid.
The end result being that it was mainly the better paid, or the "High Spenders", that ended up paying a higher share. At least that was the theory.
I know some people who previously didn't pay much tax, but they can't always get out of the 10% GST added to the restaurant bills etc these days !
The nature of GST is it taxes those who spend more of their income on GST attracting products. That is the less well off in society.

It does tax the tax avoiders unless they are paying cash for that special discount.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:25 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by itsasecret
I know its been discussed, but can someone remind me how i get a cheque for $2000 to open my new HSBC account?
Does the local branch do this for you when you go in with the forms to filll in (100 points test.) ??

OK daft question this, ive read the thread and would like to ascertain a couple of things

1. why are you transferring exactly $2000 ?
2. we have hsbc bank acct here also
3. bank just told us (uk) they would do a letter of introduction for us to open an account in Brisbane, Sunnybank would be our nearest.
4. Id always assumed to open a AUS bank acct you need a taxfile number
5. Is this """"$2000"""" a get around clause.

Cheers Steve
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Muddywaters is an unknown quantity at this point

i found that hsbc bank were the rudest most annoying bunch of merchant bankers i ever came across in my quest to open an account here in oz.....I would not even use them instead use another bank with polite employees (if there are any)
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
OK daft question this, ive read the thread and would like to ascertain a couple of things

1. why are you transferring exactly $2000 ?
2. we have hsbc bank acct here also
3. bank just told us (uk) they would do a letter of introduction for us to open an account in Brisbane, Sunnybank would be our nearest.
4. Id always assumed to open a AUS bank acct you need a taxfile number
5. Is this """"$2000"""" a get around clause.

Cheers Steve
The $2,000 is the minimum deposit required by HSBC to open the "online" savings account and get the high interest rate.

I've found them to be very good, but as I use internet only, we have no real person to person contact.

Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:30 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

The $2,000 is the minimum deposit required by HSBC to open the "online" savings account and get the high interest rate.

I've found them to be very good, but as I use internet only, we have no real person to person contact.

Cheers ABC sorry I was on the Current Account wavelength lol thanks