Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of
Default Re: $200 fine for smoking in your car.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That's not really the point though. Health campaigners will be using statistics to push through laws like these and statistically the worse thing you can be for your health is poor. So logically it must follow that we should be taking kids off poor people because it will be better for their health. Yes?
Just because you are poor, doesn't mean you're stupid. Poor people can also possess common sense.

Are you prepared to smoke in the car with your kids? if so, are you poor? or do you have another excuse? (stupidity?)
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:29 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
Just because you are poor, doesn't mean you're stupid. Poor people can also possess common sense.

Are you prepared to smoke in the car with your kids? if so, are you poor? or do you have another excuse? (stupidity?)
I don't actually smoke at all.

You missed my point (stupidity?). If you think its OK for the State to interfere here because there may be long term health risks why shouldn't the State interfere and take action to remove poor kids from their homes in the same belief that it will be better for their long term health?

If that's all a bit too unlikely or extreme... how about banning people from smoking in their own homes... and if they continue to flout that taking their kids off them for 'health reasons'?.

...or perhaps banning people from adopting kids because they are smokers, because we all know that living in an orphanage is far better than living in a house where somebody might have the odd cigarette.
http://www.breathingbetterlivingwell...php/t8198.html

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jan 2nd 2010 at 1:17 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 4:05 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I grew up as a passive smoker with both parents smoking in front of me and when my sisters started to smoke - them as well.

It wasnt nice either - chest infections, wheezing - smelling of fags and being told I was smelly (fags) by the kids at school.

Parents might not have the power to control what pollutants their kids breathe in outside with car fumes etc.

But they can control what their kids breathe in inside the house/car etc. And would it really hurt them to NOT smoke in front of their kids? Honestly, would it really be too much to ask them not to smoke in the house, they could have a fag in the garden and they could have a fag outside of the car by pulling over somewhere?

I am not a parent, but I have been told by parents that their children are or should be the most precious thing they have.

If smokers are aware of the risks associated with smoking and as they say it is their choice to do so, then why on earth would they want to subject their most precious thing - their child/children to something they know is addictive, can be carcinogenic, can cause respiratory problems to name but a few.

If you do that to someone you love? Jesus christ what would you do to someone you hate.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 4:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
But they can control what their kids breathe in inside the house/car etc. And would it really hurt them to NOT smoke in front of their kids? Honestly, would it really be too much to ask them not to smoke in the house, they could have a fag in the garden and they could have a fag outside of the car by pulling over somewhere?
From my experience that's pretty much what happens. Far from being the inconsiderate cousin of Attila the Hun, most smokers are very aware of the social restrictions placed on them.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
To be devil's advocate here, but what does it really achieve if the same people are smoking at home all the time anyway. I am not sure the government should be telling people what they can do in their own cars (beyond complying with road safety measure). The next step will be telling people what they can do in their own homes.
wow you must be a smoker are you?
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wintersgills
wow you must be a smoker are you?

No I am not a smoker. In fact I have never had a cigarette in my life. I LOATHE smoking. I have said so several times on this thread if you would care to read it properly before picking out one section of what I have said and giving it the thumbs down. :curse:

The points I have repeatedly made are that I have doubts about the enforceability of legislation such as this and I would also question as devil's advocate (do you know what that means?) whether it is correct for the government to stipulate what somebody can do in their own car/ home when said activity is not an illegal one and being the case, where would it end.

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

The police cant stop people from speeding, drink driving, talking on a mobile phone whilst driving (to name a few) so how the hell are they going to enforce this law. It would be interesting to see what the Queensland Police Force think about it. Havent they got enough to do without this law being put upon them to enforce.

I believe this is more of a revenue making stunt under the disguise of a health issue.

If the Government was serious about health issues, they would fund Doctors correctly and increase the Medicare rebate for visits.

Barney
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Dann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really nice

From my experience that's pretty much what happens. Far from being the inconsiderate cousin of Attila the Hun, most smokers are very aware of the social restrictions placed on them.
Isnt that like saying most people who get drunk dont get in a car and drive, therefore it shouldn't be illegal. Anyone who smokes with kids in their car should be fined, its not the nanny state but simply common sense. Its the governments job to protect certain sections of the state that cannot protect themselves.

PS Being poor doesn't mean you cannot look after your children, grow up.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dann2000
Isnt that like saying most people who get drunk dont get in a car and drive, therefore it shouldn't be illegal. Anyone who smokes with kids in their car should be fined, its not the nanny state but simply common sense. Its the governments job to protect certain sections of the state that cannot protect themselves.

PS Being poor doesn't mean you cannot look after your children, grow up.
FFS... I despair at times.
Could you not see I was using that as an example of just how things can go wrong when the State decides it knows better than its people?

You're correct, being poor doesn't mean you can't look after your children... but there was a time when the State, with the same perfectly logical reasoning, that they were 'protecting them', decided that it did.

Read up on Australia's Forgotten Generation then come back again.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:42 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
If smoking was as distracting as using a mobile phone, then I'm sure it would have been banned ages ago.

I can't recall hearing or reading about any serious accidents or fatalities caused by someone smoking while driving. I'm sure it has happened but is so rare as to be insignificant.

There are plenty of people who don't smoke while driving that don't even know how to use their indicators and are far more dangerous.

I'm not condoning driving and smoking, but just trying to put things into perspective.
Haven't seen many people doing hands free smoking nut have seen lots of them tring to drive while lighting a cig or steering while trying to hold one and just the other night someone threw there lit cig butt out the window in the dark that then sparked all over our window. We obviously didn't crash bit a more nervous person could have swerved + the fire danger.

Don't think many people who crashed due to smoking would put there hands up for it so harder to prove than a mobile which records it was in use.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Dann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really nice

FFS... I despair at times.
Could you not see I was using that as an example of just how things can go wrong when the State decides it knows better than its people?

You're correct, being poor doesn't mean you can't look after your children... but there was a time when the State, with the same perfectly logical reasoning, that they were 'protecting them', decided that it did.

Read up on Australia's Forgotten Generation then come back again.
So you believe the state was trying to protect them!! Maybe you should re-read your history and then read between the lines on the forgotten generation. I also think you really are clutching at straws trying to link these 2 subjects but if thats all you've got??.

I do agree smokers aren't all evil and they should be allowed to adopt but forcing a child to breathe your smoke in such a confined space and not try and stop it is just crass stupidity. It should be illegal, how can you argue against that?
'I despair at times'
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

So you believe the state was trying to protect them!! Maybe you should re-read your history and then read between the lines on the forgotten generation. I also think you really are clutching at straws trying to link these 2 subjects but if thats all you've got??.

I do agree smokers aren't all evil and they should be allowed to adopt but forcing a child to breathe your smoke in such a confined space and not try and stop it is just crass stupidity. It should be illegal, how can you argue against that?
'I despair at times'

You're right. Forget it. I'm with you now. It really is the responsibility of the State to legislate on absolutely ****ing everything that might possibly be bad for people. I think we should consider banning mountaineering, hang gliding and swimming for starters. Any parent seen putting their kids in the sea should immediately be fined... I mean, there's sharks in that bloody water !!

Just out of interest... how long do you think it will be before people start suggesting that kids be taken away from parents who smoke?

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jan 2nd 2010 at 11:05 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

You're right. Forget it. I'm with you now. It really is the responsibility of the State to legislate on absolutely ****ing everything that might possibly be bad for people. I think we should consider banning mountaineering, hang gliding and swimming for starters. Any parent seen putting their kids in the sea should immediately be fined... I mean, there's sharks in that bloody water !!
Glad ive made you see sense Oh sarcasm (toys out the pram, proper Liam G)
Can you not see the difference, inhaling smoke will cause health problems, the above activities 'might possibly be bad for people'.
There is quite a difference don't you think. Ask yourself this, what does the state gain by banning smoking in cars with children on board?
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Glad ive made you see sense Oh sarcasm (toys out the pram, proper Liam G)
Can you not see the difference, inhaling smoke will cause health problems, the above activities 'might possibly be bad for people'.
There is quite a difference don't you think. Ask yourself this, what does the state gain by banning smoking in cars with children on board?
No it will absolutely NOT definitely cause health problems... it might. So its in exactly the same bracket as the other activities. What will the State gain... bugger all that I can see. To be honest I can't think of a single incidence when I have actually seen anybody smoking with kids in the car. Perhaps its because I'm not looking for things to be offended about.

Logically though, if you think this is good legislation, and you obviously do, then why don't we fine people for smoking in their own homes if they have kids.... or as I said earlier, take the kids off them. Surely that's the logical conclusion to laws like these?

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jan 2nd 2010 at 11:52 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:34 am
ABCDiamond

. I think we should consider banning mountaineering, hang gliding
I think there is already an age limit for children to be allowed to do that isn't there.

There is for parachuting, a minimum age of 14 in Australia, although it is 16 in the UK. Does that make the UK a nanny country ? (Just joking )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.